How did you choose your a-level subjects? Watch

harlem
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am quite unsure which a-level subjects to pick next September. Therefore, I seek others' story of how they picked their subjects and additionally, whether or not you are happy with your choices.
sonicmailman
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Law - Interests me, there's no maths. Intellectually stimulating.

Sport - Fairly easy to get D* and I enjoyed it at GCSE, it will also help for my chosen degree (Sports Journalism)

ICT - I've always been into technology and use a computer daily. Fast paced course, quite difficult... Around 1500 average amount of words each lesson. Being able to use a computer every lesson to type out the work was therefore a bonus as I can type fairly quickly.

All in all, when I first picked my A-levels, I went with what interested me and what I could mentally cope with learning for AS and A2. I never knew which degree I wanted to do, but when I did some research I found that Sports Journalism would utilise all the skills and knowledge learnt from my A-levels (picked from what I'd enjoy and interests me). The degree will potentially put me into a job I would love to do, and am able to do based upon my learnt skills and into a forever changing environment (football - I hope). So yes, I am very happy with what I've picked.
Remember that the A-levels you pick will ultimately shape what career you could have - It's also important to remember that your job is what will be the most of your life... So you may as well do something you'll enjoy.
Student232
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It really depends on what you like and what you want to do at the end of year 13. I have always loved maths, so I took maths and I really enjoyed Geography throughout secondary school, so I took that. I also liked Chemistry. Originally I did take Physics as well because it went really well with my subjects but I realised that wasn't a good choice so I've changed my options to Further Maths instead. It worked out really well because I got 3A*s at GCSE and they were in Maths, Geography and Chemistry so I guess I chose the subjects I was good and liked.

What are your favourite subjects in school? What do you do best at? Have you got any ideas at all what you want to do for a job or at uni?
harlem
Rep:
?
(Original post by sonicmailman)
Law - Interests me, there's no maths. Intellectually stimulating.

Sport - Fairly easy to get D* and I enjoyed it at GCSE, it will also help for my chosen degree (Sports Journalism)

ICT - I've always been into technology and use a computer daily. Fast paced course, quite difficult... Around 1500 average amount of words each lesson. Being able to use a computer every lesson to type out the work was therefore a bonus as I can type fairly quickly.

All in all, when I first picked my A-levels, I went with what interested me and what I could mentally cope with learning for AS and A2. I never knew which degree I wanted to do, but when I did some research I found that Sports Journalism would utilise all the skills and knowledge learnt from my A-levels (picked from what I'd enjoy and interests me). The degree will potentially put me into a job I would love to do, and am able to do based upon my learnt skills and into a forever changing environment (football - I hope). So yes, I am very happy with what I've picked.
Remember that the A-levels you pick will ultimately shape what career you could have - It's also important to remember that your job is what will be the most of your life... So you may as well do something you'll enjoy.
What does sports journalism include and what jobs can you get after that?
Good for you that you have found a direct career you wish you pursue when choosing a-levels.
harlem
Rep:
?
(Original post by Student232)
It really depends on what you like and what you want to do at the end of year 13. I have always loved maths, so I took maths and I really enjoyed Geography throughout secondary school, so I took that. I also liked Chemistry. Originally I did take Physics as well because it went really well with my subjects but I realised that wasn't a good choice so I've changed my options to Further Maths instead. It worked out really well because I got 3A*s at GCSE and they were in Maths, Geography and Chemistry so I guess I chose the subjects I was good and liked.

What are your favourite subjects in school? What do you do best at? Have you got any ideas at all what you want to do for a job or at uni?
To all of your three questions, no. I honestly have no idea.

I never paid attention to school, because I was a troublemaker. I bunked off about 30% of all classes and always did not pay attention to lessons. My teachers and parents did not care for my education so I failed pretty much all GCSEs. So I don't really know what subjects I enjoy doing or which subjects I am good at, because I never got to try them properly.

I did enjoy history, but according to my Specific Learning Disability Assessment, my verbal reasoning skills are very poor, which is true, and my visual reasoning skills are extremely high, which I am unsure of. I am thinking of doing maths subjects because I think I did not get bored in maths class and got B without revision, but I am worrying that I am not smart enough for a-levels.
EastGuava
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
"Ip, dip, do".
Student232
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by harlem)
To all of your three questions, no. I honestly have no idea.

I never paid attention to school, because I was a troublemaker. I bunked off about 30% of all classes and always did not pay attention to lessons. My teachers and parents did not care for my education so I failed pretty much all GCSEs. So I don't really know what subjects I enjoy doing or which subjects I am good at, because I never got to try them properly.

I did enjoy history, but according to my Specific Learning Disability Assessment, my verbal reasoning skills are very poor, which is true, and my visual reasoning skills are extremely high, which I am unsure of. I am thinking of doing maths subjects because I think I did not get bored in maths class and got B without revision, but I am worrying that I am not smart enough for a-levels.

Its never too late to start working. If you're not happy with you gcses then you could go to college and redo them. If you show up to lessons and try for them, it's possible to get there. If your gcses are good enough to get into a sixth form or college then you can start your a levels. They are completely different so it'd be like a fresh start where you can do it again.

There's lots of maths related a levels, I'm doing subjects which are related to numbers (I know there's a lot of writing in geography but there's still a skills test with numbers). Other ones could be economics, physics, further maths, chemistry and I think psychology has a bit of maths in it. If you enjoy history then maybe with some more work you might be able to do it. I hope it all works out for you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • Swansea University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (83)
18.61%
Labour (185)
41.48%
Liberal Democrats (92)
20.63%
Green Party (33)
7.4%
Brexit Party (15)
3.36%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (6)
1.35%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.12%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)