Bubblybabybling
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So theres this question- basically what are the colour changes in a burette (some protein one) test and a benedicts test for:
Plamsa
Urine
Glomerular filterate

On a normal person- what would the results be?x
ivybridge
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Do your own homework.
Bubblybabybling
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by ivybridge)
Do your own homework.
Its not my hmwrk, it a question from last years past paper that I was stuck on
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Bubblybabybling)
So theres this question- basically what are the colour changes in a burette (some protein one) test and a benedicts test for:
Plamsa
Urine
Glomerular filterate

On a normal person- what would the results be?x
*Biuret's

*Plasma

The question isn't as tricky as it seems. It's checking your knowledge of how the kidneys work and at what point they reabsorb protein (tested for with Biueret's test) and sugars (which are detected using Benedict's reagent).

So now you know that, you tell me...do you think a sample of plasma would test positive for sugars and protein i.e. would it contain sugars and proteins? How about the glomerular filtrate? How about urine?

Here's a hint: a urine dipstick tests for the presence of proteins and glucose (amongst other things).

Sugary urine is a finding in diabetes, whilst protein rich urine is a sign of other conditions such as nephrotic syndrome or pre-eclampsia. Do those sound like normal findings? Would a normally functioning kidney produce that kind of urine?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (118)
63.44%
No (68)
36.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed