Housemates hate me :( Advice!

Watch
missbankslynch
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,

So I'm currently at university as a first year. I am in halls living with 7 other people. I thought we were all getting on really well as a group, until a few weeks ago. everyone has started sorting out housing for next year and we was on about sorting it.

recently I've been feeling really **** and I've had things going on, and I decided to go home early for Christmas.

Today I got a text saying they don't want to live with me next year, all of my other friends such as friends on my course have sorted out their house for next year. As I told them I was going to be living with my house. I really don't want to be on my own but it's really hurt my feelings that they don't want to live with me next year, I really really can't think of anything I've done wrong to them.

This has really come as a shock to me and I've never ever felt so alone, embarrassed and isolated in my life. I really feel embarrassed about the full situation and I'm worried about how awkward it's going to be in January.

What am I going to do next year? Why do I have no friends?
Dolphins
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Come on now, just because THOSE people don't want to live with you doesn't mean nobody does...

You've already mentioned you've got course friends so you do have friends! Not having accommodation sorted early is NOT the end of the world, there are always people looking for somebody to join their house and there's no reason you have to be friends with them now to live with them next year.

After all, the people you're living with now were random in September, right?

I suggest looking around on the Facebook Society Groups and the Uni Website for students posting with free space for their accommodation (as the year goes on more people will be posting).

My friend sorted his accommodation literally the day before he moved in this year and he loves his new group of mates. Think of it as an adventure!
BookBird
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by missbankslynch)
Hi,

So I'm currently at university as a first year. I am in halls living with 7 other people. I thought we were all getting on really well as a group, until a few weeks ago. everyone has started sorting out housing for next year and we was on about sorting it.

recently I've been feeling really **** and I've had things going on, and I decided to go home early for Christmas.

Today I got a text saying they don't want to live with me next year, all of my other friends such as friends on my course have sorted out their house for next year. As I told them I was going to be living with my house. I really don't want to be on my own but it's really hurt my feelings that they don't want to live with me next year, I really really can't think of anything I've done wrong to them.

This has really come as a shock to me and I've never ever felt so alone, embarrassed and isolated in my life. I really feel embarrassed about the full situation and I'm worried about how awkward it's going to be in January.

What am I going to do next year? Why do I have no friends?
How rude.... can you live in uni accommodation two years in a row? It doesn't have to be the fresher halls, but if your uni offers accommodation for 2nd years and above, you could apply to live there, and be placed with other people. Sorry love xx
missbankslynch
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Dolphins)
Come on now, just because THOSE people don't want to live with you doesn't mean nobody does...

You've already mentioned you've got course friends so you do have friends! Not having accommodation sorted early is NOT the end of the world, there are always people looking for somebody to join their house and there's no reason you have to be friends with them now to live with them next year.

After all, the people you're living with now were random in September, right?

I suggest looking around on the Facebook Society Groups and the Uni Website for students posting with free space for their accommodation (as the year goes on more people will be posting).

My friend sorted his accommodation literally the day before he moved in this year and he loves his new group of mates. Think of it as an adventure!
Thank you, I just really wish they told me sooner because my other friends sorted their house out literally last week and if I had known, I could've gone with them

I will have to shamelessly ask around. Thank you for your advice. I just feel so low and unwanted X
cole-slaw
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why don't they want to live with you?
Dolphins
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by missbankslynch)
Thank you, I just really wish they told me sooner because my other friends sorted their house out literally last week and if I had known, I could've gone with them

I will have to shamelessly ask around. Thank you for your advice. I just feel so low and unwanted X
Don't, it happens to everybody. Sometimes it's better to branch off and meet new people anyway.
PinkAcid
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
are you sure you haven't offended them in some way? maybe when you had things going on you might have pushed them out or ignored them or something? I cant think why else they would go from inviting you to sort out accommodation to texting you that they don't want to live with you anymore.

like the other guys said, living in a studio apartment would be really good for you and it means more peace and quiet when you need to revise, you can just go home and relax when you've had a bad day without having to socialize and 'fake niceties'. it does suck but if they've only just changed their minds its not like they did it on purpose so that you wouldn't have anyone to live with.
New- Emperor
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's OK dude call up the accommodation office they may be able to put you in contact with some people that are looking for a flat mate or something or you could get a place in a hall . It's one of the options that I took advantage of in my third year so all is not lost good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Me Me 05
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi. I just want to let you know that I’ve been through the exact same thing. And I know how much it hurts. When you said you feel so isolated, embarrassed, and alone I can’t believe someone could put to words how I felt when it happened to me. Like, out of nowhere they told me that they don’t wanna live with me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (7)
4.52%
Confident (14)
9.03%
Indifferent (16)
10.32%
Unsure (38)
24.52%
Worried (80)
51.61%

Watched Threads