The Student Room Group

Things you do to save money

Ok so for the first time in my life, I'm struggling. I actually need to save money. So here are some things I'm doing so save money:

1. Every weekend I live at my parents house. I eat their food and on Sunday evening I take a Tesco bag and even take things from their fridge back home with me. I turn off the heating at my flat to save on electricity. I use my parents washing / ironing lady (for washing / ironing).

2. I don't break at roundabouts to save on petrol. This has increased my efficiency but it's been a bit scary.

3. I eat all the bagels and Diet Coke in the company kitchen. I don't go out on lavish lunches anymore.

4. I offered a girl some "grapes from my car that I stole from home" on a date rather than taking her out and paying for her meal. I have audio proof of this in case you don't believe my dedication.

5. I now buy plastic cutlery from Costco and use that so I don't need to run the dishwasher.

6. Sometimes I just take other people's lunches.

7. I've stopped not collecting the change when it's only like 5 or 10 pence.

Please share your tips.

Scroll to see replies

I have £500,000. I don't need to save money. :biggrin:
Reply 2
I buy them tesco meal deals, the £3 ones. They fill you up and the chicken salad sandwiches are so good
Reply 3
i don't eat
Reply 4
Original post by Awesome Genius

4. I offered a girl some "grapes from my car that I stole from home" on a date rather than taking her out and paying for her meal. I have audio proof of this in case you don't believe my dedication.

Audio or it didn't happen :tongue:
I didn't buy a make-believe car, that certainly saved me some money :yep:
Purchase a safe box, store a significant amount of money in there. Lock it. Throw the key out of your window. Now you will not be able to access that money, and will not want to spend the little money you have left on a locksmith, and thus, will be able to save a lot of cash. There you go.
Whilst I know that this is yet another jokey thread...

- Secondhand books - Ebay and the third-party Amazon sellers are great for that.

- Farmers' markets - fresh, local food, often cheaper than at supermarkets.

- Wear layers - less of a need to put on the heating. Or there are other ways to keep warm... :biggrin:
Typical Indian stereotype.
Doesn't #5 work out more expensive? :s-smilie: As well as not environmentally unfriendly.
if you look under desks you can find free chewing gum, never have to buy it again

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OU Student
Doesn't #5 work out more expensive? :s-smilie: As well as not environmentally unfriendly.

Thats what I thought, I know hes trying to save money from washing but keep buying them will be more. Unless he washes those and re uses it.
I found that not buying anything besides food and the bills kinda works.
armed robbery is a good one the initial outlay is high but the turnover can be several hundred grand
I just get lunch from Tesco, rather than going to somewhere more Upper Class like Greggs
Psh peasant
not even lying, my ex tried to regurgitate his dinner once so he could eat it again :lolwut:
amongst other reasons!
my mum had to force him to shower once as hes a tramp
also i was cleaning his room once and found crusty and crunch socks with silver fish living in them!!!

i wish i was joking
yup. his wife is welcome to him
don't have a girlfriend.... save $$$$$$

Latest