The Student Room Group

Ocr Genetics!!

hey guys.. im having problems with this genetics module... there are some questions to which i couldnt find the answers.. i appreciate any help at all!...
1) predict the phenotypic ratios involving epistasis ??(is it 9:3:4?)
2)Explain how the process of selective breeding may be carried out in plants and animals?? (correct me if im wrong but in plants does it include the single plant selection and mass selection and in animals in inlcudes AI!!)
3)Describe the uses of AI?!
AND FINALLY
4) Discuss the ethical implication of the use of AI, in vitrofertilisation and embryo transplantation in ANIMAL and their social and ethical implication in HUMAN??
thanx i appreciate any help on either of the questions :redface: :smile:
Reply 1
Tanaz

Hmm - well all epistasis means is that 2 genes function in the same pathway (are not necessarily linked). I guess you could infer that they might be transmitted together, but this is by no means a law.
Tanaz

2)Explain how the process of selective breeding may be carried out in plants and animals?? (correct me if im wrong but in plants does it include the single plant selection and mass selection and in animals in inlcudes AI!!)

AI isn't the only was of selective breeding. Basically you have to ensure that you get a cross between your two chosen parents. Mendelian genetics plays a big part when calculating the likelihood of obtaining your wanted pheno or genotype through seelctive breeding.

Tanaz

Do a google - there's bound to be a mass of info
Tanaz

AND FINALLY
4) Discuss the ethical implication of the use of AI, in vitrofertilisation and embryo transplantation in ANIMAL and their social and ethical implication in HUMAN??

again - not difficult - what do you think they are?
Reply 2
Tanaz
hey guys.. im having problems with this genetics module... there are some questions to which i couldnt find the answers.. i appreciate any help at all!...
AND FINALLY

heya,
1.yea youre right but youve shown the ratio for recessive epistasis, dominant epistasis give a ratio of 13:3

2. youre right bout mass selection and single plant selection but then one of two stages is carried out after mass selection, either pedigree selection or single seed decent. in animals its the mating of organisms with display a wanted phenotype, these are crossed, the best offspring are crossed again. dnt forget that broad and narrow sense heritability are used to see if its worth selective breeding for a certain trait. then there is ai, in vitro and cloning in which the females eggs which carry the wanted genes are put into surrogate mothers so the biological mother can reproduce more often.

3. if uses means like advantages the......
embryo can be sexed and checked for genetic dieases
no hassel of keeping a male with a herd
prevents inbreeding
one male can inseminate lots of females
allows humans with reproductive problems to have children
increases the rate at which certain allels are selected for
a coupling of sperm and egg both with desired traits can be stored and used after the death of the parents
.........................?????????????

4. unnatural for humans to get involved in the reproduction of animals.
if an unknown genetic defect isnt recognised it could be passed to many offspring, this could make the meat from those animals dangerous to humans?????
embryos ccan be carried in different species (unnatural)
i think it just means that the fact that all this swapping over of genetic material in animals and the way ai and in vitro allow different biological and carrying parents that this may lead to this happening more and more in humans but to be honest i dont know, these sorts of qus arnt my strong point!!
ali x
Reply 3
have you got the applications of genetics text book? all that stuff is in there! and your other questions seem to have been answered so i won't go over it all again.
Reply 4
spali
heya,
1.yea youre right but youve shown the ratio for recessive epistasis, dominant epistasis give a ratio of 13:3

2. youre right bout mass selection and single plant selection but then one of two stages is carried out after mass selection, either pedigree selection or single seed decent. in animals its the mating of organisms with display a wanted phenotype, these are crossed, the best offspring are crossed again. dnt forget that broad and narrow sense heritability are used to see if its worth selective breeding for a certain trait. then there is ai, in vitro and cloning in which the females eggs which carry the wanted genes are put into surrogate mothers so the biological mother can reproduce more often.

3. if uses means like advantages the......
embryo can be sexed and checked for genetic dieases
no hassel of keeping a male with a herd
prevents inbreeding
one male can inseminate lots of females
allows humans with reproductive problems to have children
increases the rate at which certain allels are selected for
a coupling of sperm and egg both with desired traits can be stored and used after the death of the parents
.........................?????????????

4. unnatural for humans to get involved in the reproduction of animals.
if an unknown genetic defect isnt recognised it could be passed to many offspring, this could make the meat from those animals dangerous to humans?????
embryos ccan be carried in different species (unnatural)
i think it just means that the fact that all this swapping over of genetic material in animals and the way ai and in vitro allow different biological and carrying parents that this may lead to this happening more and more in humans but to be honest i dont know, these sorts of qus arnt my strong point!!
ali x

thanx so much... i really dont like genetics at all!!!im finding it hard to understand!! u seem to know quite alot.. thanx

Latest

Trending

Trending