The Student Room Group

Land Law Issue Help

I'm doing an essay on a problem question - one element is that Uhtred conveys a castle to him and his 5 friends, he then receives a certificate from the land registry and is surprised that the castle has been conveyed to him and 3 of his friends (what an idiot), and is more surprised to see a restriction on the register.
In my lecture handout there's a diagram illustrating 4 people owning a property on trust for themselves and 2 others, as is the way under s34(2) LPA, but that diagram shows a restriction on the register but does not say why. My notes are no help and my lecturer doesn't put his slides online because he wants us to suffer.

Help please?!
You mention s 34(2) LPA 1925 so you understand that when property is purported to be conveyed to more than four people as joint tenants, it is instead conveyed to the first four people named as joint tenants in law holding on trust for all of the joint tenants.

Uhtred shouldn't be surprised to see a restriction on the registrar because the registrar is under a duty, imposed by s 44(1) LRA 2002 to enter one whenever he enters two or more people as registered proprietors of land (as here).

Does that answer the question? Not 100% sure what you were asking :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending