The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
200 dizzy
in the last few exams i've had ive suffered really bad panic attacks and didn't get to even finish two papers even at the moment i'm finding it too hard to revise because i'm so stressed. Is it worth writing to the boards for special consideration if i get a doctors note. Usually im a 90 per cent and over student but feel like crap as in those papers i could have got almost full marks but am now looking at c's

I might be wrong but to be realistic, I suspect your doctor will tell you to go away and stop wasting his time.
Reply 21
I'm on special consideration because since the start of my gcse exams I have not been feeling well and have been getting theses strange headaches and feeling dizzy on the days when I had exams. Another problem is that I have problems sleeping and the sleeping pills the doctor gave didn't work so ended with no sleep for a few days in a row. They have really affected all my exams. Like in gegraphy exam paper 2 I couldn't concentrate as I felt dizzy and missed out so many 6 mark questions. I am really getting worried now as I think I have done badly . I am predicted a high grade in geog with full marks in cwork. Also same for my other subjects. The school knows about my problems and I am on special consideration with doctors note but some teachers have told me my problem is unusual and the exam board may not do anything. Has anyone else been on special consideration for these problems and did the exam increase your grade or give u your predicted grade? Please help I am really getting worried.
fishpaste
I might be wrong but to be realistic, I suspect your doctor will tell you to go away and stop wasting his time.

If he does he is a disgrace to the profession. The man is paid at leat ยฃ60k - and six figures are not that rare for GPs- to listen to complaints like this. If you have panic attacks see him - thats what he is paid well to do.
I doubt you'd get consideration unless it was a pre-exisitng complaint, though
Reply 23
InterCity125
If he does he is a disgrace to the profession. The man is paid at leat ยฃ60k - and six figures are not that rare for GPs- to listen to complaints like this. If you have panic attacks see him - thats what he is paid well to do.
I doubt you'd get consideration unless it was a pre-exisitng complaint, though

trust me... six figure salaries are very rare for GPs

but do go see him about panic attacks

lou xxx
lou p
trust me... six figure salaries are very rare for GPs

but do go see him about panic attacks

lou xxx

I know a few GPs on six figures, though many more consultants. I'll agree it isn't common but with a few practices plus other services, comittee bonus/honoriums etc. it can be done.
i'm exactly the same. I've got an illness that ive had for the past 3/4 weeks now that has seriously affected me in exams. Ive lost at least about 30% in each exam except for my first two exams, so there is no way i'm gonna get the grades i need.

I can barely get up every morning, let alone do the exam, but i was told i would get 0 if i didn't turn up, so im really trying.

Any advice??

P.S. My predicted grades are lower than what i need to get into uni.
Reply 26
i_love_maths

Any advice??

well, even if you had 'special consideration' it might not help..so look at the possibility of staying on for another year..?

hmm..GPs on 6 figures not that rare..

I doubt a GP would tell you to 'go away' but turning up, middle of exams, wanting special consideration with a hard to assess complaint might not get them falling over themselves to make up excuses for you, especially if there's no history..?
i've got my doctors note. I just don't know what happens. Will my uni know that i am unwell?

I have worked so hard this year, and i really don't want this as the outcome.

Also, do the predicted grades from the start of the year count, or the predicted grades just before we went on study leave, because in that case, my predicted grades would be enough.

I am quite an extreme case - My illness is serious but i should recover fine in the next few months.
Reply 28
i_love_maths
i'm exactly the same. I've got an illness that ive had for the past 3/4 weeks now that has seriously affected me in exams. Ive lost at least about 30% in each exam except for my first two exams, so there is no way i'm gonna get the grades i need.

I can barely get up every morning, let alone do the exam, but i was told i would get 0 if i didn't turn up, so im really trying.

Any advice??

unis are far more sympathetic than subject examiners in terms of personal circumstances, so they should accept you with lower grades, it just depends on which uni youre applying to. if u applied to oxbridge or one of the top5 unis for your course then you have to really have a lot of luck simply because the demand for places is huge and a lot of people do meet grades (have 3A's) but for whatever reason have no offers
exam boards only tend to give actual special consideration in terms of altering grades for people who are seriously ill-for example the board told me that an example of seriously ill would be a person undergoing cancer treatment or in my case where i was ill from a brain condition..

however schools are allowed to give 25% extra time anyway and boards can grant more than that with medical letters but you do need to be really really ill..

Latest