The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0860034763/wwwlink-software-21/202-4578461-2772607

its basically a condensed version of the big book. they do them for environment also. it has a few exam questions at the back with the mark scheme in it. Not alot like the big book though. I dont if this is what u need?

heres the picture just incase u recognise it.
Reply 21
misty
Anyone taking this on Tuesday?

Yes! Unit 5..ewwwwwwwww :eek:
Reply 22
i'm doing BYB7 as well!! went through an ecology past paper today- what frightens me is how simple some of the concepts are.....i'm not sure how well i did in the paper need to get a mark scheme off the AQa website. as for microbes....arg so much to learn!!!! just gone over pathogenicity and industrial microbiology (snore) do we need to know loads of examples of antibacterial drugs by the way? so far all i know is ampicillin and penicillin attack cell walls of bacteria
Reply 23
priya
i'm doing BYB7 as well!! went through an ecology past paper today- what frightens me is how simple some of the concepts are.....i'm not sure how well i did in the paper need to get a mark scheme off the AQa website. as for microbes....arg so much to learn!!!! just gone over pathogenicity and industrial microbiology (snore) do we need to know loads of examples of antibacterial drugs by the way? so far all i know is ampicillin and penicillin attack cell walls of bacteria

Know you only need to know how some antibiotics affect bacteria and fungi, there hasn't been any questions asking for antibiotic names so far..just learn them anyway....
Reply 24
ok thanks....biology is really doing my head in at the moment, started to look at some of the previous modules today....oh how i wish i could do module 1 again!!

what do we need to know for grazing for BYB5 btw? i have a paragraph on it, something about swards, makes little sense or relevance though...
Reply 25
priya

what do we need to know for grazing for BYB5 btw? i have a paragraph on it, something about swards, makes little sense or relevance though...

:confused: Not much. You don't need to know details of it, just the effects of it i think. Ive seen in a couple of past papers..they show u the population of a species where the land is grazed and where it isn't, it then asks you to analyse it, or once it involved a chi square test..u had to say whether or not grazing had a significant effect on the population of something..not too hard.

misty..i've got that book lol
Reply 26
i'm also doing module 5 on tues and microbes & disease module on friday (ahhhh so much to revise :mad: ) what ums have u guys got in bio so far? i have done modules 1-4 and so far i have 284/390, intersted to see how others are doing
Reply 27
hey, ive still got 4,5 and 7 to do..
ive got 26?/300
dont know exactly what.. ECC is getting boring now- been doing it all day, am as far as muscles, grrr...... wanna get finished my end of day tho- then i can do environment and microbes tomorrow!
Reply 28
mod 4 is tough as it covers so much different material (mod 4 genetics, kidney, brain are very hard topics). Not looking forward to the synoptic essay 25 marks :eek: :eek:
Reply 29
ashanti
i'm also doing module 5 on tues and microbes & disease module on friday (ahhhh so much to revise :mad: ) what ums have u guys got in bio so far? i have done modules 1-4 and so far i have 284/390, intersted to see how others are doing

about 340ish/390 after 4 mods.
Reply 30
i have 311/390 in modules 1-4 so far
synoptic paper is annoying how do they expect us to remember stuff from all the modules :confused: remembering the microbes is hard enough!!!
does anyone know what they got for the module 5 coursework
Reply 31
tara b
synoptic paper is annoying how do they expect us to remember stuff from all the modules :confused: remembering the microbes is hard enough!!!

i think 32/38
Reply 32
tara b

36/38 Does anyone have a problem with chosing the right answer for unit 5 questions, i had a problem with the worm question and squirrels.... :redface:
Reply 33
344 after 4 modules i think. not sure bout coursework. not looking forward to synoptic essay much - i would love a 'mutations' one to come up, it would be a gift! anyone have any predictions as to likely essay titles?
Reply 34
noggin
344 after 4 modules i think. not sure bout coursework. not looking forward to synoptic essay much - i would love a 'mutations' one to come up, it would be a gift! anyone have any predictions as to likely essay titles?

i have about the same as you. my cswk is about 33 i think? not quite sure though.
mutations?!! arg!!! i want proteins :rolleyes: although i know it would never come up, its been done too mnay times. ATP would be good though. or carbs. essays which go near classification and taxonomy and stuff will just kill me
Reply 35
priya
i have about the same as you. my cswk is about 33 i think? not quite sure though.
mutations?!! arg!!! i want proteins :rolleyes: although i know it would never come up, its been done too mnay times. ATP would be good though. or carbs. essays which go near classification and taxonomy and stuff will just kill me

Essays:

I went to the phillip alan updates and basically they give you slight hints etc..the one thing they did say was that revising past essays is not very useful since they will NEVER ask an essay question that has been done.

proteins
carbohydrates
atp
natural selection

have been done..from biological molecules..lipids and nucleic acids haven't so that might be worth looking over..and also membranes etc.
Reply 36
ShOcKzZ
Essays:

I went to the phillip alan updates and basically they give you slight hints etc..the one thing they did say was that revising past essays is not very useful since they will NEVER ask an essay question that has been done.

hasnt structure and function of proteins come up twice? i may have dreamt it...something with the kidney in would be nice! like ions within biology or something like that - lots to talk about.
Reply 37
god im worried about the essay.. so have you guys done module 4 then?? any advice for revising that one??
Reply 38
ShOcKzZ

misty..i've got that book lol

fairy muff!
Reply 39
wiht module 4, just learn and learn and learn! sorry lol, thats all the advice i can really give- oh an do all the past papers, they are sooo useful when it comes to the actual exam. watch out for eeeeevil biochemsitry questions, they gave us one of those in january, grrr

with most topics, like synapses/respiration stages/photosynthesis stages, thermoregulation and all the stuff, its best listing the order of reactions in bullet points- usually u get a huge question which basically expects you to reel that off, so if you have it in bullet points makes it easier not just for u, cos u can count ur marks, but for the examiner as well...just make sure that the bullet points are full sentances, but listed as separate points.

i'm currently going through modules 1-3- omg i did so much work for module !!!!! and what's scary is how mcuh i've forgotten as well....basic principles like enzymes are ok but things to do with exchange are a little rusty....dreading looking at module 3....

Latest

Trending

Trending