Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

AQAB Biology A2 anyone? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    No one should worry too much about BYB4 - the boundaries are stamped down. It's BYB6/7/8 you've got to worry about - even if you think it's a piece of piss. The marks for the last module can be really crap for no apparent reason!

Ben

ReputationRep:
    My worry about module 5 is that there are marks for things which are so screamingly obvious that you don't think to write them! I got 60/66 on the last practice paper I did, which is great, but that was with my textbook open in front of me...

Module 4 on the other hand... just so much to remember, and my memory is awful... when it's stuff you can work out on the spot I'm fine, but remembering isn't too easy for me.

I'm on 277/300 after modules 1-3 so I don't need to do brilliantly, a low B this year is quite enough to get me an A overall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.S.)
    No one should worry too much about BYB4 - the boundaries are stamped down. It's BYB6/7/8 you've got to worry about - even if you think it's a piece of piss. The marks for the last module can be really crap for no apparent reason!

Ben
    cool- i think know most of BYB4 now.. gunna read through it once more today, then read through environment then get going on some past papers. Hopefully by the end of the day I will have finished and so can get on with learning all my chem!
    Cheers for the advice priya!

ReputationRep:
    just bumping to see if anyone else has the pleasure of tuesday morning..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misty)
    just bumping to see if anyone else has the pleasure of tuesday morning..
    BYB4 is quite easy...I sat the paper in jan and got 82 for it...But unit 5 and 7 are very frightening... How much will the coursework mark help unit 5 for instance if you've got 36/38???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    BYB4 is quite easy...I sat the paper in jan and got 82 for it...But unit 5 and 7 are very frightening... How much will the coursework mark help unit 5 for instance if you've got 36/38???
    i also got 82 for byb4, if you memorise the facts u will do well on this module. I think the coursework and written section are divided equally in module 5.

wat ums have u got altogether for modules 1-4 zazy?

ReputationRep:
    I did the exam in January 2003 and totally messed up everything, I thought. I got a lot better than I expected.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShOcKzZ)
    Does anybody know where i can get answers to the exam questions in the AQA A2 text? (the exam questions at the end of each chapter)
    Our teacher gave us a booklet with the answers on but not sure whether this was for mod 4,5 or 8. Exam papers should be sufficient anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    Did everyone do really well in c/w for BYB5? I only got 30/38 which was really annoying but they said the highest was only 34/38 anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.S.)

Ben
    What are the mark boundaries like for BYB5 do you know? Apparently most people go down a grade on BYB6/7/8

ReputationRep:
    nah the coursework is only worth a small percentage of byb5- like 30 marks UMS, remember how the cswk was incorporated into byb3 last yr? same way again.

yeha people do go down loads on byb7- and its because they haven't done great on the essays, and the fact that the data questions are impossible, or a mixture of both

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jharris)
    ...if you memorise the facts u will do well on this module...
    as opposed to all those other ways of doing well...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    nah the coursework is only worth a small percentage of byb5- like 30 marks UMS, remember how the cswk was incorporated into byb3 last yr? same way again.

yeha people do go down loads on byb7- and its because they haven't done great on the essays, and the fact that the data questions are impossible, or a mixture of both
    Is it just me interpreting these statistics wrong or on these examiner's reports (http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/bioB_exam.html) why are the mark boundaries 50-60% for an A (raw score) for all the modules?

ReputationRep:
    ah man im even more scared now!!
    why are the data questions so impossible then? ive never done any before..!
    are they in byb5 or byb7?
    eeek..

ReputationRep:
    they're in byb7 in the second booklet along with the essay. they basically want you to think right outsie the spectrum of all your biology, they'll give you like a graph or a table of stuff, and ask you to explain possible reasons for why such nad such has occured. it aint as simple as it sounds. sometimes the answer is fairly clear cos itll be about muscles or something and you'll immediately link it to respiration/blood supply to muscle cells/transmission of nerve impulses to muscles etc etc. but my teacher went through a booklet with me a couple of weeks ago, she basically told me what each q was looking for, and the soncepts she talked about were stuff we'd learned but i'd never think of them in relation to that question.

having said that i'm sure some won't struggle on the data questions, i'm not the best for lateral thinking though

ReputationRep:
    oh and go here for the past papers- go to section b papers for byb6/7/8

http://http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gc...oB_assess.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    they're in byb7 in the second booklet along with the essay. they basically want you to think right outsie the spectrum of all your biology, they'll give you like a graph or a table of stuff, and ask you to explain possible reasons for why such nad such has occured. it aint as simple as it sounds. sometimes the answer is fairly clear cos itll be about muscles or something and you'll immediately link it to respiration/blood supply to muscle cells/transmission of nerve impulses to muscles etc etc. but my teacher went through a booklet with me a couple of weeks ago, she basically told me what each q was looking for, and the soncepts she talked about were stuff we'd learned but i'd never think of them in relation to that question.

having said that i'm sure some won't struggle on the data questions, i'm not the best for lateral thinking though
    wow thanks a million that really helps..
    i didnt know aqa had papers on the net- cheeersss!!!!

PS- anyone get any hunches about the essay on friday? or whats come before and so wont come up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misty)
    wow thanks a million that really helps..
    i didnt know aqa had papers on the net- cheeersss!!!!

PS- anyone get any hunches about the essay on friday? or whats come before and so wont come up?
    Has there ever been a question asking you to explain the importance of ionic gradients in biology, or something along those lines? They are never specific.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    no there hasnt come to think of it..
    what does this link to though? action potentials? selective reabsorption? what else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misty)
    no there hasnt come to think of it..
    what does this link to though? action potentials? selective reabsorption? what else?
    i think it has come up - at least it was in a list of exam titles that we went through in class. maybe that was a list of likely ones. i will post it up when i find it.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.