Turn on thread page Beta

major devisions in christianity?? watch

ReputationRep:
    what are the major groups in christianity and what does each group believe!!

pleeeze!...i'm kinda stuck and really need to know by tomorrow!!....thanx!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saf!)
    what are the major groups in christianity and what does each group believe!!

pleeeze!...i'm kinda stuck and really need to know by tomorrow!!....thanx!
    Roughly divides into Protestant and Catholic. Catholics believe in the infallibility of the Pope, generally have Thomist ethics (apart from the proportionalists), believe that good works are essential to get to heaven and, well, I'm sure googling will get you all the info you need.

Protestant can be roughly divided into liberals and conservatives.
    The conservative branch would include fundementalists (who want to go back to the traditional views of the church, tend to be high church but not always), literalists (believe the bible should be taken literally - e.g. creation in seven days). Church of England, Anglican, is affectionately known as "the tory party at prayer", which pretty much tells you all you need to know about their attitudes.

Liberal church are much trickier. Some don't even believe that belief in the resurrection is necessary, though I think most do. They tend to think that much of the bible is metaphorical.

Um, any questions in particular? The main ones you'd want to google are:
    Catholic
    Church of England
    Baptist (and, perhaps, southern baptist)
    Methodist
    Evangelical

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.