The Student Room Group

Anybody know of the universities with great Computer Science courses?

Hello everyone

I have posted this thread as I'm in the middle of applying for university, and want to make the right choices. I'm looking to study Computer Science (BSc), and I'm interested to know which universities offer a great CS program. Could any of you advise me please?

My grades are:

Vocational
BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in IT - D*D*D* (Predicted)
BTEC Level 2 Diploma in IT - D* (100%)

Academic (GCSE's)
Information Technology - B
Religious Studies - B
Mathematics (Level 2 Functional Skills) - C
English (Level 2 Functional Skills) - C
Science - D

Thanks for all your help! And sorry for not leaving much to work with wise of my grades...thanks again.
Reply 1
I apply for Queen Marys, Kingston, Greenwich, Brunel and city
Original post by Baskas
I apply for Queen Marys, Kingston, Greenwich, Brunel and city

Awesome man, I chose these Universities in the end:

Swansea University
The University of Hull
The University of Birmingham
University of Hertfordshire
University of Lincoln
Reply 3
Queens Mary and Brunel is the best option i think
you have good grades in your BTEC. you should look at the entry requirements of RG universities
The issue that you're likely to run into here is your maths.

Computer science at university level is pretty different to IT - it contains a lot of maths, which is why you will find that a lot of universities require A Level maths. However, you only have Level 2 functional skills maths, which may or may not be treated by any given university as being equivalent to GCSE maths (if it doesn't say on their website, call or email them before you apply and ask).

However, you have good grades in your BTEC, which bodes well. Have a look at WhatUni, which lets you filter by grade requirements (though of course you'll need to check the entry requirements in more detail yourself).
Original post by Origami Bullets
The issue that you're likely to run into here is your maths.

Computer science at university level is pretty different to IT - it contains a lot of maths, which is why you will find that a lot of universities require A Level maths. However, you only have Level 2 functional skills maths, which may or may not be treated by any given university as being equivalent to GCSE maths (if it doesn't say on their website, call or email them before you apply and ask).

However, you have good grades in your BTEC, which bodes well. Have a look at WhatUni, which lets you filter by grade requirements (though of course you'll need to check the entry requirements in more detail yourself).

Yeah that's true, I'll be revising Mathematics in general before the course to do my best to be prepared. Thanks for the advice! :smile:
Original post by Maximum-Velocity
Hello everyone

I have posted this thread as I'm in the middle of applying for university, and want to make the right choices. I'm looking to study Computer Science (BSc), and I'm interested to know which universities offer a great CS program. Could any of you advise me please?

My grades are:

Vocational
BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in IT - D*D*D* (Predicted)
BTEC Level 2 Diploma in IT - D* (100%)

Academic (GCSE's)
Information Technology - B
Religious Studies - B
Mathematics (Level 2 Functional Skills) - C
English (Level 2 Functional Skills) - C
Science - D

Thanks for all your help! And sorry for not leaving much to work with wise of my grades...thanks again.

Try King's Computer Science.
you have 2 problems. Some universities do not accept Functional Skills in English and Maths so you may need to sit these as Gcse's and also most universities require A level Maths in addition your Btec for computer science courses. Some that don't insist on Alevel Maths are Lancaster, Reading, Kent, Kings, Royal Holloway and Swansea. As advised previously you need to fully check the full entry requirements for each university.
oxbridge, imperial, ucl, edinburgh, bristol and york have the best computer science courses in my opinion. in terms of modules, all the ones i mentioned have a good mix of electronics, discrete and continuous maths, theoretical cs and applied cs topics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending