The Student Room Group

Can I choke during a dental operation?

Im getting some teeth removed soon, and ive been told that due to the nature of these teeth they will involve them being shattered and drilled. This means bits of debris will be flying about my mouth, but this can go to the back of my throut, and if it does I will not be able to cough because I will be put out- should this be something of concern?
Original post by Bubblybabybling
Im getting some teeth removed soon, and ive been told that due to the nature of these teeth they will involve them being shattered and drilled. This means bits of debris will be flying about my mouth, but this can go to the back of my throut, and if it does I will not be able to cough because I will be put out- should this be something of concern?

No. I'm fairly certain that dentists and dentistry nurses are trained to ensure that sort of thing doesn't happen.
Original post by Banana virus X
what's you gag reflex like?

During my operation I will be unconscious, therefore, will have 0 gag reflex.
a reflex is a reflex - which means its involuntary
your teeth wont be shattered, they'll be sanded down
not debris, its more like dust

you'l be fine..
Reply 4
During my operation I will be unconscious, therefore, will have 0 gag reflex.

Are you having a general anaesthetic? In that case there'll be a tube in your airway, which will keep out any stray bits of tooth.
Original post by Helenia
Are you having a general anaesthetic? In that case there'll be a tube in your airway, which will keep out any stray bits of tooth.

Yes, oh my word a tube i my airway? No way am I agreeing to that! You have worried me so much now.
Reply 6
Yes, oh my word a tube i my airway? No way am I agreeing to that! You have worried me so much now.

Are you having a general anaesthetic? If so, it's kind of part of the deal. You'll be asleep when it goes in and it comes out as you wake up, so you probably won't even know it's there. The point is to protect your airway when you're asleep, and allow safe delivery of the anaesthetic gases while the dentist is working, it's not for fun!

If you're just having IV sedation then you'll be awake enough to protect your own airway, so the above doesn't apply.
Original post by Helenia
Are you having a general anaesthetic? If so, it's kind of part of the deal. You'll be asleep when it goes in and it comes out as you wake up, so you probably won't even know it's there. The point is to protect your airway when you're asleep, and allow safe delivery of the anaesthetic gases while the dentist is working, it's not for fun!

If you're just having IV sedation then you'll be awake enough to protect your own airway, so the above doesn't apply.

So if I have this tube in my mouth, how is the dental work expected to be carried out?
Reply 8
So if I have this tube in my mouth, how is the dental work expected to be carried out?

They work around it. Some dentists prefer the tube to go in through the nose to keep the mouth space totally clear, but most of the ones I've worked with (I'm an anaesthetist) are happy with a flexible one in the mouth.
Original post by Helenia
They work around it. Some dentists prefer the tube to go in through the nose to keep the mouth space totally clear, but most of the ones I've worked with (I'm an anaesthetist) are happy with a flexible one in the mouth.

Ive read on the internet that not all operations require this, and its quite a big tube... With the nose- does it go straight up the nose or does it just blow air into it?
Ive read on the internet that not all operations require this, and its quite a big tube... With the nose- does it go straight up the nose or does it just blow air into it?

If you're having a GA for dental work, you'll need some kind of airway protection, either a laryngeal mask airway or an endotracheal tube - the latter can go in through the nose or mouth. If it's one going in the nose, it goes through your nose, down the back of your throat and into your windpipe. Your anaesthetist on the day will have their own practices and preferences, as will the dentist, and they can explain what they'll be doing, but it's really not something to be afraid of - it's an absolutely normal and safe part of anaesthetic practice. Doing a GA dental operation without airway protection would be more difficult and dangerous.
Original post by Helenia
If you're having a GA for dental work, you'll need some kind of airway protection, either a laryngeal mask airway or an endotracheal tube - the latter can go in through the nose or mouth. If it's one going in the nose, it goes through your nose, down the back of your throat and into your windpipe. Your anaesthetist on the day will have their own practices and preferences, as will the dentist, and they can explain what they'll be doing, but it's really not something to be afraid of - it's an absolutely normal and safe part of anaesthetic practice. Doing a GA dental operation without airway protection would be more difficult and dangerous.

This really freaks me out, even though im going to be asleep I wish you never told me this now.

Also can I ask- have you every witnessed a patient have 'Anesthetic awareness' where they wake up during surgery but are paralysed so cant tell anyone until the end?
This really freaks me out, even though im going to be asleep I wish you never told me this now.

Also can I ask- have you every witnessed a patient have 'Anesthetic awareness' where they wake up during surgery but are paralysed so cant tell anyone until the end?

I was trying to reassure you about why you won't choke on bits of tooth during your procedure! It's a routine part of virtually every general anaesthetic, nothing to be freaked out about. It's to keep you safe.

I have never had a patient who has reported awareness after an anaesthetic. There was a big UK-wide audit project on this very recently, which estimated the rate of awareness under anaesthesia to be about 1:19000 overall (more in some specialties and less in others) so it's very rare, and usually not as dramatic as certain films make it out to be - most instances are brief and either at the start of the anaesthetic or right at the end; being truly aware for the whole procedure is incredibly rare. The vast majority of general anaesthetics, especially in young fit patients like you, having fairly low-risk surgery, are very very safe.
Original post by Helenia
I was trying to reassure you about why you won't choke on bits of tooth during your procedure! It's a routine part of virtually every general anaesthetic, nothing to be freaked out about. It's to keep you safe.

I have never had a patient who has reported awareness after an anaesthetic. There was a big UK-wide audit project on this very recently, which estimated the rate of awareness under anaesthesia to be about 1:19000 overall (more in some specialties and less in others) so it's very rare, and usually not as dramatic as certain films make it out to be - most instances are brief and either at the start of the anaesthetic or right at the end; being truly aware for the whole procedure is incredibly rare. The vast majority of general anaesthetics, especially in young fit patients like you, having fairly low-risk surgery, are very very safe.

Thanks for the info. I know I sound like a child, and its stupid worrying about tubes when im going to be asleep but the thought of a tube down my throat is just awful, but I know its there for a good reason.

How long have you been in the profession?
Thanks for the info. I know I sound like a child, and its stupid worrying about tubes when im going to be asleep but the thought of a tube down my throat is just awful, but I know its there for a good reason.

How long have you been in the profession?

I've been a doctor for almost 6.5 years, training in anaesthetics for the last 3.5. I love it, and actually dental lists are one of my favourite to do!
Last time I had a tooth removed (and it was cut and smashed into 4 bits) I was awake and my whole mouth was just made numb, no tubes down my throat, nothing :smile: and they have a little Hoover under the tooth and catches everything straight away :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
its unlikely as when the dentists extract a tooth there is a suction hoover which sucks and peices that may fall down your throat

Quick Reply

Latest