The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Feminists, would you think less of a man who dates a sex worker or glamour model?

(this is more geared towards sex-neg feminists)

Would you think he's only in it for the sex?

Should he "educate her" to take a more feminist path, or is he not allowed to do that as a man?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Wow. A non-islam based thread. Im impressed.
Original post by KingBradly
(this is more geared towards sex-neg feminists)

Would you think he's only in it for the sex?

Should he "educate her" to take a more feminist path, or is he not allowed to do that as a man?

I'm a sex-positive feminist, but I want to answer. It would be hard to say whether or not he's only in it for sex, but if I determine that he is, I'd probably let the girl know that she can do better. Educating her to take on a more feminist path? Feminism is about empowering all kinds of women, even sex workers, no, especially sex workers, therefore I would tell him to tell her, "You go girl!"
Reply 3
Original post by BookBird
I'm a sex-positive feminist, but I want to answer. It would be hard to say whether or not he's only in it for sex, but if I determine that he is, I'd probably let the girl know that she can do better. Educating her to take on a more feminist path? Feminism is about empowering all kinds of women, even sex workers, no, especially sex workers, therefore I would tell him to tell her, "You go girl!"

What about when sex-neg feminists completely undermine certain women's choices and autonomy by saying that things like glamour modelling and stripping should be shunned, or even banned (look at Iceland)?
Original post by KingBradly
What about when sex-neg feminists completely undermine certain women's choices and autonomy by saying that things like glamour modelling and stripping should be shunned, or even banned (look at Iceland)?

I think that's ridiculous. Women who go into sex work aren't always doing it because it's "fun" and "riské", sometimes they have no choice. To not support those women is disgusting. Then again, even if they are doing it because they enjoy it, who cares? I can't stand feminists who uphold these "high and mighty" opinions..
Reply 5
I don't think you'll find many sex-negative feminists (otherwise known as modern puritans lol) on TSR.
Reply 6
I know you've specifically addressed this post to feminists and though I support the equalization of genders I don't like that label so I hope you don't mind me commenting anyway.

I wouldn't think less of someone for dating a sex worker or glamour model providing that they aren't specifically dating them for their occupation. But then I'd think less of anyone that was only dating someone for their occupation.
Reply 7
Feminism is about empowering all kinds of women, even sex workers, no, especially sex workers, therefore I would tell him to tell her, "You go girl!"

I thought feminism was about gender equality?
Original post by Dheorl
I thought feminism was about gender equality?

It is, and empowering women is how we will achieve that equality.
Reply 9
It is, and empowering women is how we will achieve that equality.

Then that is not equality, how about less focus on empowerment and more focus on equal rights for EVERYONE
Reply 10
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I don't think you'll find many sex-negative feminists (otherwise known as modern puritans lol) on TSR.

There's a few actually. @Fullofsurprises for example.
What if she pays for his things
Original post by sw651
Then that is not equality, how about less focus on empowerment and more focus on equal rights for EVERYONE

The reason why feminism exists is because women are often deprived of the same rights that men have. Empowering them to demand those rights is one way of achieving equality.
Original post by Bupdeeboowah
What if she pays for his things

What do you mean?
I think that's ridiculous. Women who go into sex work aren't always doing it because it's "fun" and "riské", sometimes they have no choice. To not support those women is disgusting. Then again, even if they are doing it because they enjoy it, who cares? I can't stand feminists who uphold these "high and mighty" opinions..
Don't sex-neg feminists think that all sex is rape and no woman truly wants it or enjoys it...? :iiam:
Reply 15
The reason why feminism exists is because women are often deprived of the same rights that men have. Empowering them to demand those rights is one way of achieving equality.

No, no it isn't. It originally came from the suffragette movement, they only wanted VOTES for women. Over time it has evolved. In most Western societies, for the most part has been achieved.

Empowerment is the wrong way to go about it, education is better. Sadly in a lot of developing countries where it is an issue, they are usually religious, which is the main source of the original ideas behind this.
Original post by Tootles
Don't sex-neg feminists think that all sex is rape and no woman truly wants it or enjoys it...? :iiam:

If you go on Tumblr, you might find a couple of them to ask about that.

Original post by sw651
No, no it isn't. It originally came from the suffragette movement, they only wanted VOTES for women. Over time it has evolved. In most Western societies, for the most part has been achieved.

Empowerment is the wrong way to go about it, education is better. Sadly in a lot of developing countries where it is an issue, they are usually religious, which is the main source of the original ideas behind this.

My previous answer is how I view feminism, but that is probably because I don't come from a Western society. Where I live, feminism is about empowering women. Education is part of that empowerment, seeing as boys are prioritised when it comes to schooling. Like I said, I'm thinking of it in terms of my own society.
Reply 17
If you go on Tumblr, you might find a couple of them to ask about that.

My previous answer is how I view feminism, but that is probably because I don't come from a Western society. Where I live, feminism is about empowering women. Education is part of that empowerment, seeing as boys are prioritised when it comes to schooling. Like I said, I'm thinking of it in terms of my own society.

Interestingly enough I lived in a similar country, namely India. And actually the likes of my maid got angry at my driver for saying she was lower than him. It varies from woman to woman rather than gender to gender. I think we need some sort of equality law passed by the UN to stop these things. Besides men are (in some areas) treated unfairly.
Original post by sw651

Because men are already more advantaged *sigh*.
It would have been like accusing Martin Luther King or Nelson Mandela of not focusing on 'whites' rights'.
What do you mean?
If the boyfriend lived off his sex worker girlfriend's earnings, would you still accept/condone this arrangement? Would this position change if the girlfriend willingly agreed to such an arrangement?

Latest

Trending

Trending