The Student Room Group

Why life is not fair.

By the age of 10 I was in year 9, can speak 3 different languages with students 2-3 years older than me. Unfortunately due to some events I had to move to the UK where I was placed in the worst year 7 class (because of my age and missed the SATs).

I quickly proved my ability and climbed my way to the highest class. I had to leave school due to more bad news in year 11 was not able to complete the rest of my GCSEs.

I am currently doing A2/applying to universities after getting a nearly perfect average in As.

Spent half my life waiting for other students to catch up and now they will end up in better universities..

Scroll to see replies

Who said life was fair to begin with? Other people have it a lot worse than you, so count your few blessings
Oh cry me a river honestly, there are much worse things -.-
Original post by loveleest
Who said life was fair to begin with? Other people have it a lot worse than you, so count your few blessings

I don't know, who did say life was fair?

Other people have is a lot worse than me? You missed the point. I am not comparing my life with anyone else's.
Original post by WinterDucky

And there are much worse things than those worse things. And you know what, there are much worse things than the things that are worse than the worse things, what now?
Original post by AlmostNotable
I don't know, who did say life was fair?

Other people have is a lot worse than me? You missed the point. I am not comparing my life with anyone else's.

So what exactly did you expect to get out of this question? you said life was unfair and I said who said it was fair in the first place.... Did you expect me to write about how much I felt devestated for you and show empathy for you?

It is not about comparing lives. It is about you should be acknowledging the blessings you have because people would do anything to be in your position.
Hold on... At the age of ten you were in grade 9? First year of highschool ?

So people aren't allowed to express their situations and frustrations?
So what exactly did you expect to get out of this question? you said life was unfair and I said who said it was fair in the first place.... Did you expect me to write about how much I felt devestated for you and show empathy for you?

It is not about comparing lives. It is about you should be acknowledging the blessings you have because people would do anything to be in your position.

I would rather you write about how you feel devastated for me, yes.

People would do anything to miss GCSEs and waste their talent? Maybe people are not so smart.
Original post by xobeauty
Hold on... At the age of ten you were in grade 9? First year of highschool ?

I got moved up a grade twice but unfortunately here in the UK they go by age.
I got moved up a grade twice but unfortunately here in the UK they go by age.

Holy.... Damn.. Never heard of this. Are you gifted? That's awesome.
Reply 11
Life is a chit sandwich. Eat it or starve.

Posted from TSR Mobile
By the age of 10 I was in year 9, can speak 3 different languages with students 2-3 years older than me. Unfortunately due to some events I had to move to the UK where I was placed in the worst year 7 class (because of my age and missed the SATs).
etc etc.

Universities do take this sort of thing into account when comparing applicants. (Although you need to let them know about it, either on your personal statement or via referees - I would ask advice on the best way to do this.) Alternatively if things don't work out, you might consider applying again post A-level. Assuming that you get 'almost perfect' A-level grades, you will then be in a strong position.

ToB
(edited 8 years ago)

That is not fair thing to say. Comparisons does not make anyones situation better.
Life isn't fair OP. I don't know if you're trolling or not(you have some history ar a troll from what I can remember :tongue: ) But life isn't fair, nor has it ever been, nor will it be. You just have to embrace the situation you're in and move forward.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
That is not fair thing to say. Comparisons does not make anyones situation better.

lol, I don't understand it when people say things like this, you know it's not true.
People who are homeless, abused, dying are definitely in a worse situation. There are people who have it worse than me, and there are people who have it better than me... I've accepted it and moved on in life rather than complaining about stupid petty things.
Original post by xobeauty
So people aren't allowed to express their situations and frustrations?

But I didn't say that? I just said that life isn't fair in the first place lol.
lol, I don't understand it when people say things like this, you know it's not true.
People who are homeless, abused, dying are definitely in a worse situation. There are people who have it worse than me, and there are people who have it better than me... I've accepted it and moved on in life rather than complaining about stupid petty things.

I was talking about you making comparisons (which you have done in this post as well). They don't help a situation, all of that may be true but it doesn't help anyone feel better if you start telling them their problems are minuscule in comparison to someone else.

It's like when people say to someone who is depressed, "cheer up, you don't have a reason to be depressed, there is someone out there who has more of a reason to be depressed than you do". It's just wrong, and it doesn't mean that person will get over it by hearing a comparison made of their situation.

If someone is in a bad situation, telling them to get over it (which is basically what your motive behind making a comparison is) doesn't help the situations, perhaps even makes it worse.
You should be happy with what you have, son.

Original post by WinterDucky

People like you piss me off to the max. So so much, I don't think words can describe it. Of course it isn't fair but there's only so much anyone can take. Comparison doesn't make it any better, at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending