hpw hard is english laguage a level? any extra info i may need to know as well Watch

Kobisha
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am choosing my options soon

need help

TSR Jessica
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Tank Girl)
x
Tank Girl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Kobisha)

need help

Hello!

I've moved this to the English forum now so you should get a better response here.

Good luck making your choice :h Do you know what other subjects you're going to take yet?
Kobisha
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Tank Girl)
Hello!

I've moved this to the English forum now so you should get a better response here.

Good luck making your choice :h Do you know what other subjects you're going to take yet?
i think i am going to take

english literature
english language
history
psychology
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
i think i am going to take

english literature
english language
history
psychology
I took all three apart from the fourth option.

Language is hard - I found it easier to write about, but far boring than Lit. But some say the other way around.

Language is more technical; it is the nuts and bolts of Language. You study six to seven frameworks of language: phonology (sounds), lexis (definition), syntax (word order), grammar (whole combination of things), semantics (meaning), graphology (study of text; how language "looks" on a page) and pragmatics (context of discourse). You will also learn how children (either or both) learn how to speak and verbally interact with others (Children's Language Acquisition), or how they read, write and spell (Children's Written Acquisition).

You start to look at language at a sentence-based level, then a word-base level in most of the frame work. So for example you will look at how the sentence of "She was a total nut-job, I tell ya! I couldn't even believe the way she acted towards her!" is construed. Then you look at phrases like "even believe" then word base "nut job". You look at how one word changes the whole meaning of the sentence, and etc.

You will also get to study the different ways people communicate; through written communication, spoken communication and electronic communication.

It's hard in terms of memorising so many key terms and definitions in each section of the frameworks (you also have the same frameworks for children's language/written acquisition) but different words. It's a whole memory test. It's more sciencey and how it's played out more maths - in terms of you have to apply a key term to identify it's meaning. Like science or maths, you have to apply a formula or term to get the correct or most accurate answer.
You still have to write an essay and then write about how all the frameworks' terms connect together to create meaning to the text(s) as a whole.

So there is a lot to do and I really enjoyed it to be honest as I found it easier to write about. But the context wasn't the most exciting thing to learn about.
SLS123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm currently studying English language at A2.
Last year I found it quite easy as it wasn't such a step up from GCSE unlike my other subjects, you learn about the language features used in different types of texts and there is quite a lot of terminology. The topics you do (if you do AQA) are language and gender, language and power, and language and technology. You just do 2 of these 3-I did power and gender. It's quite interesting in year 12 as you learn the theorists and features used in representation. You then do 2 pieces of creative writing coursework with a commentary on the features you have used. As long as you understand the terminology it isn't too difficult and you should be fine.😊
In year 13 you do a language investigation which you do on any topic you like and also a media piece based on this. These pieces are your coursework. I found this really interesting. Then you learn about child language aquisiton (how children devolop their language and the diffrerent stages of their speech) and language change over time. At the minute I'm finding these topics quite boring and so not enjoying it as much I did last year but I wouldn't say it's a very hard a level.😊
Mateah
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

need help

Not trying to burst your bubble or anything but English Language is not as respected as English Literature.English literature is more interesting in my opinion and very good for Russel group universities.Within this subject you get to read 4 books mainly and go into depth with detailed analysis and context. I am doing great gatsby,keats poetry ,streetcar named desire and king lear they're all fascinating.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Mateah)
Not trying to burst your bubble or anything but English Language is not as respected as English Literature.English literature is more interesting in my opinion and very good for Russel group universities.Within this subject you get to read 4 books mainly and go into depth with detailed analysis and context. I am doing great gatsby,keats poetry ,streetcar named desire and king lear they're all fascinating.
Well clearly your comprehensive skills are shocking since your answer has no relation to what OP asked in the first place... smh.
Mateah
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
Well clearly your comprehensive skills are shocking since your answer has no relation to what OP asked in the first place... smh.
lool cute
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (112)
17.55%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.66%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.24%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (93)
14.58%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.87%
How can I be the best version of myself? (192)
30.09%

Watched Threads