Young White Men Are the Most Derided Group in Britain

Watch
TheThiefOfBagdad
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
"Young, white men are the most derided group in Britain, according to a YouGov study.
People were asked for their views on different groups of differing ages, genders and ethnicities.
They were asked to score them on specific positive and negative criteria.
These included how likely they are to be honest, to be intelligent, to work hard, too be police, to help others, to be violent, to travel without buying a ticket, to take drugs, to have many sexual encounters, and to get drunk."
(Source)

Old white women came out on top.
So what do you think; if you're a young, white male can you feel the hatred from society getting you down, or are you chortling your way through your privileged existence?

Discuss.
AlwaysWatching
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Brb, just checking privilege.
MrKmas508
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The drugs aren't going to deal themselves.
Captain Haddock
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This study is so full of it. The 'negative' attributes primarily associated with young white males were drinking, drug use and frequent sex, which many people don't even see as negatives. Far better than being seen as violent, dishonest or unwilling to help others, anyway.
serebro
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Having a look at this study, some of the categories are much more serious than others. Consider the view that someone has 'many sexual partners' vs 'be violent' or 'be honest'. Young white men seem to be poorly rated in the less significant things, but come out around average for more serious things. Such as:

Most unlikely to be honest:
Pakistani man his 20s

Most unlikely to help others:
Pakistani man his 20s

Most likely to travel without buying a ticket:
Black Caribbean man in his 20s
Pakistani man in his 20s
White man in his 20s

Least intelligent:
Muslim women in her 60s
Polish woman in her 60s
Pakistani woman her 60s
(Mostly women from ethnic minorities dominate this category)

Finally, the most telling, be violent:
Black Caribbean in his 20s
Pakistani man in his 20s
Polish man in his 20s
Polish man in his 40s
Muslim man in his 20s
Muslim man in his 40s
Pakistani man in his 40s
Black Caribbean woman in her 20s
White man in his 20s

The first thing is that the Telegraph have interpreted these stats generally, rather than looking at the finer details. The real issues is the ethnic and age bias people have.
Israel = Terror
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If a white guy is down and out he is a waster/a chav/an alcy or some sort of nutter. If an ethnic is in such a position the system is wrong.
SaucissonSecCy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This suprises me not one iota. I've lived it. I'm the oldest of the young(millennials) and I've seen what the ar on me from the opposite sex and primarily the generation above is like. That women of baby boomer/Thatcher generation are most worshipped doesn't surprise. One thing though which is often overlooked unfairly is the class dimension, yes white young guys don't have it good, but class is bad for both sexes but worse for younger people I'd argue-Balir didn't get rid of class, snobbery is as entrenched as ever.
13 1 20 9 42
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by serebro)
Having a look at this study, some of the categories are much more serious than others. Consider the view that someone has 'many sexual partners' vs 'be violent' or 'be honest'. Young white men seem to be poorly rated in the less significant things, but come out around average for more serious things. Such as:

Pakistani man his 20s

Pakistani man his 20s

Pakistani man in his 20s
White man in his 20s

Least intelligent:
Muslim women in her 60s
Polish woman in her 60s
Pakistani woman her 60s

Pakistani man in his 20s
Polish man in his 20s
Polish man in his 40s
Muslim man in his 20s
Muslim man in his 40s
Pakistani man in his 40s
White man in his 20s

The first thing is that the Telegraph have interpreted these stats generally, rather than looking at the finer details. The real issues is the ethnic and age bias people have.
I find some of those stastics to be rather a turn on for some odd reason.........
Alaska+
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by serebro)

Pakistani man his 20s

Pakistani man his 20s

Pakistani man in his 20s
White man in his 20s

Least intelligent:
Muslim women in her 60s
Polish woman in her 60s
Pakistani woman her 60s

Pakistani man in his 20s
Polish man in his 20s
Polish man in his 40s
Muslim man in his 20s
Muslim man in his 40s
Pakistani man in his 40s
White man in his 20s

The study doesnt reveal anything new at all.

All you learn from the study is that society is racist, prejudiced and stereotypes guide people's thinking on other races. We knew all of that already.
Alaska+
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Israel = Terror)
If a white guy is down and out he is a waster/a chav/an alcy or some sort of nutter. If an ethnic is in such a position the system is wrong.
When I see white homeless people I like to tell them they should sell their skin if they really need money.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (153)
14.46%
I'm not sure (46)
4.35%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (312)
29.49%
I have already dropped out (29)
2.74%
I'm not a current university student (518)
48.96%

Watched Threads