Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Skiing/snowboarding watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Who else loves doing these things? I have been skiing all my life and been snowboarding a couple of times and they are brilliant. There is a sense of freedom, the scenery is very beautiful and the social scene is really good.

Which resorts have people been to? I luckily go to the Alps quite a lot so- Meribel, Mottaret, Scheffau twice, Claviere, Flaine, Bardonnechia and Les Arcs. It'd be great to go to Canada as I hear it is brilliant over there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marie55)
    Who else loves doing these things? I have been skiing all my life and been snowboarding a couple of times and they are brilliant. There is a sense of freedom, the scenery is very beautiful and the social scene is really good.

Which resorts have people been to? I luckily go to the Alps quite a lot so- Meribel, Mottaret, Scheffau twice, Claviere, Flaine, Bardonnechia and Les Arcs. It'd be great to go to Canada as I hear it is brilliant over there.
    Canada is gorgeous. GO!!! you will really enjoy it!

ReputationRep:
    i really like the alps, particularly bits of austria. didn't really like snowboarding cos i found it frustrating how long it took me to get down the mountain while i was learning when i could be whizzing down on skis and without falling on my bum/knees every 2 seconds... so i got my skis back

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    I skied a few times but deicded that snowboarding was for me. Went to alp d'huez in france earlier this year, it was awesome. love snowboarding.

ReputationRep:
    Been skiing in Canada. Went to Lake Louise and Sunshine Village.

Snow is really good. Lift queues don't exist.

Highly recommended.

ReputationRep:
    I went to Claviere/Sestriere when I was younger, and haven't touched skis since. Shame I really *really* loved it.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Tried skiing didn't like it - I don't like feeling out of control....preferred plummetting down the slopes on sledges :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Tried skiing didn't like it - I don't like feeling out of control....preferred plummetting down the slopes on sledges :cool:
    It feels like that when you first start! but after a while it's really relaxing. I love being on my own and feeling really free and independant. Although it's quite dangerous and energetic I find it very relaxing!

ReputationRep:
    I love skiing, tried snowboarding, but cos i'm not as good i miss the freedom of going so fast...

I've been to villars, crans-montana, and for the last 5 years, Zermatt in Switzerland. It is so beautiful there, and I like the anonymity as not everyone on the train up the mountain can understand what you're saying!

ReputationRep:
    ive never been skiing always wanted to do it tho.

ReputationRep:
    snowboarding rules. go to calgary. on the flight back i was next to the british bob sled team..this was like...ages ago. winter olympics...um..1996?

ReputationRep:
    haven't done it in real life but in games all the time, and quite good at them

ReputationRep:
    When I went to Claviere it was a school trip with about 100 kids and maybe 10 adults. Now that was an experience. Specially since all us kids (aged 13/14) were allowed to roam freely and all got sold drink.
    When I tried snowboarding I spent half the time on my ass but when I did get it, it was fantastic...I almost prefered it to skiing.
    And I'm getting more and more tempted by your descriptions of Canada.

ReputationRep:
    I thought they were both quite tame, it's not "that" exciting.

ReputationRep:
    I went snowboarding in Aosta in Italy in 2000. I hated it, I only went for my bf. He has since been on one of my summer holidays so now it is my turn to endure another winter holiday. Im going to ski this time, which I hate less.

ReputationRep:
    I've been skiing twice with my school, to Austria... 6 days each time... I can't remember the exact details, but I think it was the Zillertal valley (?)... Ummmm.... oh, I remember the place names, Fugen, and Hochfugen. Anyone heard of it/been there? It was amazing! I'm going again in 2005 but this time it's to France. I can't wait!

Hehe, this one time I did a jump (only a smallish one) but I went flying, whilst I was in the air my right ski came off, then that went to the right of one of those pylon thingys that hold up the chair lifts, then as I was landing, my left ski came off and went to the left, and I ended up lying flat on my back in a big pile of snow, and everyone in my group wondering where I was because all they could see was one of my skiis... Oh the hilarity... and I didn't even get hurt!

I went sking in Italy when i was in year 6 with the school. Dry ski slopes are deadly, before the holiday i practised on one and the ski got stuck in a hole as i was going down and hurt my foot.

I didn't like sking, the best bit was on one of those chairlifts that drag you up i was at the top, with a teacher behind me, and she slipped and fell over knocking everyone down the hill to the bottom leaving just me on my own at the top to ski around wherever i liked.

ReputationRep:
    I am so heading to Perisher Blue these holidays.

ReputationRep:
    ive never been i want to tho its on my to do list can anyone recomend any where good

ReputationRep:
    ^^took me a few seconds to decipher that sentence, lol. If you go to the Alps, I think 'The 3 valleys' is the best place to go. That includes Meribel, Mottaret, Courchevel and Val Thorens. You can get a lift pass for the whole area and there are lots of places for beginners to ski.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 18, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.