Mongloian and other frontier market bank accounts to get higher interest rates?

Watch
hsv
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Is it wise to put done of your money Mongloian and other frontier market bank accounts to get higher interest rates? For example if you put your money into Khan bank in Mongolia are the only risks the bank collapsing and there may not being deposit insurance (which there may be) and if the interest is paid in Mongolian currency, currency risks versus the pound? Also is it worth putting your money in high interest rate government bonds from frontier markets as well since they may offer over 20 percent interest?

Posted from TSR Mobile
BobbyFlay
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Have you checked the relative inflation and inflation stability?
Inflation in Mongolia could be very inconsistent, constantly changing compared to other countries.
I'm not familiar with the Mongolian market, or any markets besides Western countries, to be able to comment on the market stability.
TheRadUser
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Watch for inflation dude...
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That is almost certainly a bad idea. Interest rates are higher for a reason. If it was easy/safe everyone would be doing it.
hsv
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by BobbyFlay)
Have you checked the relative inflation and inflation stability?
Inflation in Mongolia could be very inconsistent, constantly changing compared to other countries.
I'm not familiar with the Mongolian market, or any markets besides Western countries, to be able to comment on the market stability.
Interesting, though what I would like to understand is if you live in this country and have a savings account or government bond in Mongolia or another Frontier market how does Mongolian inflation affect me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by hsv)
Interesting, though what I would like to understand is if you live in this country and have a savings account or government bond in Mongolia or another Frontier market how does Mongolian inflation affect me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The currency will weaken and when you convert to sterling you'll get less back.

To answer your question, remember the Icelandic banks?
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by hsv)
Is it wise to put done of your money Mongloian and other frontier market bank accounts to get higher interest rates? For example if you put your money into Khan bank in Mongolia are the only risks the bank collapsing and there may not being deposit insurance (which there may be) and if the interest is paid in Mongolian currency, currency risks versus the pound? Also is it worth putting your money in high interest rate government bonds from frontier markets as well since they may offer over 20 percent interest?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Tugrik/Pound exchange rate seems to be in fairly steady freefall, so a few years ago, 1m Tugrik was worth £500 and now it's only worth £340, so the interest rate is probably of limited value as your money is busy devaluing in the bank in the meantime.
https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourc...xchange%20rate
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (61)
17.13%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (99)
27.81%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (137)
38.48%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (48)
13.48%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.09%

Watched Threads