Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    who's liable to a car accident if both r kind of at fault?......i stopped at give way lines and wanted to turn right....i checked for cars in both directions....on my right theres an annoying bush which blocks my view but can c from reasonable range that there was no car.....so i edged out slightly to check.....and bang.....some speeding idiot knocks off my registration plate, and hits into a stationary car as he swerved.
    there r clear skid marks on the road which shows the extent of his speed and the stationary car was clearly moved to the side from the hit in comparison to where it was parked on the kerb.
    he didn't admit it was his fault, but didn't blame me either. he later mentioned 'the bush doesn't help does it?'. he was a nice person cos he kept asking if i was alrite......but i'm worried that i'm liable now, for all 3 cars.
    i've sent in fotos of what happened, and the brake marks on the road etc.....but the real damage was the front of my car, and where the speeder hit the stationary car. my car didn't actually cause much damage to the speeding car......

what do u think?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wonkey)
    who's liable to a car accident if both r kind of at fault?......i stopped at give way lines and wanted to turn right....i checked for cars in both directions....on my right theres an annoying bush which blocks my view but can c from reasonable range that there was no car.....so i edged out slightly to check.....and bang.....some speeding idiot knocks off my registration plate, and hits into a stationary car as he swerved.
    there r clear skid marks on the road which shows the extent of his speed and the stationary car was clearly moved to the side from the hit in comparison to where it was parked on the kerb.
    he didn't admit it was his fault, but didn't blame me either. he later mentioned 'the bush doesn't help does it?'. he was a nice person cos he kept asking if i was alrite......but i'm worried that i'm liable now, for all 3 cars.
    i've sent in fotos of what happened, and the brake marks on the road etc.....but the real damage was the front of my car, and where the speeder hit the stationary car. my car didn't actually cause much damage to the speeding car......

what do u think?!
    well the damage to your car, the bush and and the skid marks are clear evidence that you weren't to blame.it's good you took pics though.As nice as people may seem, that person didn't seem to own up they were speeding. I dont think you need to worry! so are you ok? did you get hurt?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neha p)
    well the damage to your car, the bush and and the skid marks are clear evidence that you weren't to blame.it's good you took pics though.As nice as people may seem, that person didn't seem to own up they were speeding. I dont think you need to worry! so are you ok? did you get hurt?

u think it has nothing to do with the fact that i still should have been stationary at give way lines?! i'm ok thank u, i'm not hurt.....just feel sick and each time i c the front of my car it just makes me weak....and just worried bout what i may be responsible for....i didn't remember to mention what the bloke said about the bush to my insurance company....cos i was too flustered, is it worth calling them 2moro and adding that point?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Refuse to accept any fault. If he was speeding then he was at fault (you're supposed to drive expecting things like this - what if it had been a kid walked into the road and not your car?). At the worst you'll end up with a knock for knock claim (ie you're both to blame and you insurance companies share the costs)...if you keep pointing out his speeding and refuse to take any blame then you'll probably get away with his insurance company taking the blame.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Refuse to accept any fault. If he was speeding then he was at fault (you're supposed to drive expecting things like this - what if it had been a kid walked into the road and not your car?). At the worst you'll end up with a knock for knock claim (ie you're both to blame and you insurance companies share the costs)...if you keep pointing out his speeding and refuse to take any blame then you'll probably get away with his insurance company taking the blame.
    i would agree. it sounds like you were being cautious whereas he... was not.

ReputationRep:
    thx PQ...yay ur back! the funny thing was....the stationary car he hit was an old mans, and he was so innocent. also, he left his car on the road on yellow line cos it wasn't driveable....and i noticed a parking ticket a few hours later.....i suppose hes lucky cos it was his company's car, but i just don't think they'll be best pleased!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wonkey)
    u think it has nothing to do with the fact that i still should have been stationary at give way lines?! i'm ok thank u, i'm not hurt.....just feel sick and each time i c the front of my car it just makes me weak....and just worried bout what i may be responsible for....i didn't remember to mention what the bloke said about the bush to my insurance company....cos i was too flustered, is it worth calling them 2moro and adding that point?

Probably not. They might get the idea you are trying really hard to cover up if you call with an excuse a day later. If things start to get rough then explain calmly. They cant expect you to be involved in something like that and still be 101% alert. Its good you are ok though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neha p)
    Probably not. They might get the idea you are trying really hard to cover up if you call with an excuse a day later. If things start to get rough then explain calmly. They cant expect you to be involved in something like that and still be 101% alert. Its good you are ok though.

i'm definitely feeling more reassured now, thank u.....just gotta try and do some revision now!

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.