sam4xx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi everyone,

I got offers to study sport and exercise science at unis including Sheffield Hallam and Leeds Beckett. I want to know about both places, which is the better uni for the course? What's the uni location like? Shopping? City?

Anything that would be helpful.

Thanks,
Saima
James Potts
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I got the same and need some help deciding too
Sheffield Hallam University
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sam4xx)
Hi everyone,

I got offers to study sport and exercise science at unis including Sheffield Hallam and Leeds Beckett. I want to know about both places, which is the better uni for the course? What's the uni location like? Shopping? City?

Thanks,
Saima
(Original post by James Potts)
Hi both,

We thought it would be helpful to reply to you both at the same time seeing as though you are both after the same information

When choosing which course is right for you, it's important to consider the modules you'll be studying and see if they inspire you. If you haven't already, it might be helpful for you to come along to a Course open day where you can attend a course talk for Sport and Exercise Science, and speak to current students about their experience of studying at SHU. We have one tomorrow, and another on the 9 April.

At Sheffield Hallam we have two campuses. Your course is based at Collegiate campus on Ecclesall Road, which is only a 15 minute walk from the city centre. Ecclesall Road itself is in a lively student area with lots of restaurants, bars, cafes and student houses, and very close to several of the city's parks. The city centre is where you'll find your high street shops and fantastic night life with something for everyone. Only a short tram or train ride away you'll find Meadowhall shopping centre, the English Institute of Sport, and we're just 20 minutes away from the Peak District if you love being outdoors.

When I was a student here (I graduated last year) I loved that everything in Sheffield is in walking distance, so travelling around doesn't break the bank. It's nice to be part of a friendly city with so many students in!

If there's anything else I can help with, let me know and I'll do my best!

Hannah
(Official TSR rep)
Beckett Becky
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sam4xx)
Hi everyone,

Thanks,
Saima
(Original post by James Potts)
Hi, sorry it took a while for a Leeds Beckett reply. I wanted to give you a current Sport and Exercise Science student's opinions so I was just waiting for one to get back to me. Here's what he had to say:

"Hi there, my name’s Nat and I’m a third year Sport & Exercise Science (SPEX) student at Leeds Beckett. We have two campuses at Leeds Beckett, one right in the city centre and the other is a more traditional campus (Headingley) just outside the city centre. As a SPEX student you’d study at Headingley as this is where our physiology and nutrition labs, sport facilities, biomechanics hall, Carnegie research institute and much more are based. Headingley itself is a 5-10 minute walk from the campus, it has all the shops, bars, pubs, etc. you need and it’s basically all students so a fantastic vibe. If you want to go into the city centre, it takes 15-20 minutes on the bus and can cost you as little as £1 from Headingley, so yeah it’s very cheap. Leeds is a lovely city, it’s known as a student capital for a reason, it’s very cheap and there are endless things to do. A million shops (a good mix of big chains and cool independent places) with the Trinity centre and Victoria Quarter right in the centre. We’ve also got the First Direct Arena, O2 academy, endless bars and clubs, or more cultural stuff if you’re into art galleries, museums, ballet or playhouses. You name it, we’ve got it.

With regards to the course, I can quite honestly say there isn’t anywhere else I’d rather study. We have 4 main modules throughout your degree (Physiology, Nutrition, Biomechanics and Psychology) and we have modules that run alongside which teach you how to carry out research, what career options SPEX opens up, and also a placement module to help you get more real world experience. When you get to third year you opt for which modules to take and people tend to go down either a more elite sport path for example; how people can perform in extreme environments e.g. the Sahara Desert or mount Everest. Or you can go down more of the health/exercise route, so how physical activity can treat/prevent obesity, schizophrenia, cancers etc.

As for what we do? It is a science degree so we learn about the science behind sport and exercise, it’s not about just going and playing sports. But saying that, we actually get to do everything we learn about, when you learn about blood glucose in the lecture, you go and physically take blood samples in your seminar before analysing them. When you learn about how the body absorbs impact, you go work on the force plates and see how much/what direction force is going through your body when you jump or run, etc. We learn how to do physical assessments and VO2max tests and do them ourselves. It’s all about applying what you learn to real world scenarios.Our course is designed for you to tailor it to your interests, whether that’s making the Brownlee brothers knock a few seconds off their triathlon time, or learning how to work/help someone with an eating disorder. You can change your interests at any time. I’ve changed multiple times myself!

It can be quite hard to fathom what you do with a SPEX degree, and I really think that Leeds Beckett help show you. You’d be surprised what great jobs people do, and they get paid for it! We are in the top 3 Uni’s for SPEX research for a reason! Hope that begins to help, if you have any more questions just drop us another question and I’ll get back to you as soon as I can "

Just as a bit of further information, you might like to visit one of our Applicant Days where you can talk to your course lecturers and current students. There's one on Saturday 19th March (so a week on Saturday).

Sorry for the wall of text, but Nat had a lot to say. If there's anything else you'd like to know, get in touch.

Andrew
Leeds Beckett TSR rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
6.67%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (31)
15.9%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (33)
16.92%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (29)
14.87%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (53)
27.18%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (36)
18.46%

Watched Threads