The Student Room Group

Maths at Cardiff or Bath?

Which one would be better to go to? I was wondering if people have opinions on which is better Cardiff University or Bath university? I have been to Cardiff on an open day and loved the atmosphere, but I understand that Bath may have better standings in the league tables. Therefore if I had the complete choice (providing I got the grades , which I am not assuming that I will) which would be better to go to? Thankyou
Reply 1
Bath should be better
Cardiff is an awesome city and you'll have a great social life.

Bath is too I guess... But full of sports people.

With regards to the course maybe Bath is better, although Cardiff is still good!
I think Bath is supposed to be a better university (just going on my own knowledge here), and I do love Bath as a place but honestly I think Cardiff is a lot nicer for students. Cardiff has a huge student population, it's very cheap and it's actually a very beautiful city.
Mind you, this opinion does only come from visiting both Bath and Cardiff only a few times haha.
Original post by Fdog
Which one would be better to go to? I was wondering if people have opinions on which is better Cardiff University or Bath university? I have been to Cardiff on an open day and loved the atmosphere, but I understand that Bath may have better standings in the league tables. Therefore if I had the complete choice (providing I got the grades , which I am not assuming that I will) which would be better to go to? Thankyou

Hi,

I am a first year International Management student here at the University of Bath. Although I can't advise you much on the specific maths aspect I can tell you what I like about Bath as a university in general.

The campus itself is very ideal with everything from shops, places to eat and quiet areas to work. The campus environment means that you frequently bump into friends, which creates a really positive and fun environment to live and study in. The city is only a 10-15 minute bus journey from campus, which is a World Heritage site. I would certainly suggest visiting the city yourself as it is a great place to be. I frequently hear people saying that the nightlife in Bath is poor. There is always some kind of large event in one of the clubs every night, so the night life is never 'dead'. Bristol is only a short distance away by taxi or train too, if you would prefer to go to a larger city.

The University of Bath is a sporty university, however that does not mean that you have to take part in any sports. In my flat of ten only half of us are part of a sports club. I am in the athletics club despite not training for over a year before starting at Bath, you don't have to be a professional to take part. You can easily take part in sports recreationally if you would prefer avoiding games. This surprised me, as even at secondary school I felt that I couldn't try new sports because I would be in the way of those who are more experienced.

If you have any other questions please feel free to quote me!

Hayden
Bath is good, especially for maths.
Bath, I would go for Bath.

Posted from TSR Mobile
As someone originallly from Bath but now studying in Cardiff...

Bath University is a little more prestigious, but Cardiff is a much more student-friendly city.

Also, housing in Cardiff will be a lot cheaper. I'm renting for £250 a month in Cardiff; I'm not entirely sure what the prices are in Bath for typical student houses, but it may be as high as £400.
If you do maths at the Bath, won't your work get wet? :erm:
Visit Bath and see how it feels. I'm not sure about Cardiff's course, but Bath gives you an option to do a year long placement as part of your course. I'm a current Maths student and I've enjoyed most of the course so far.

Quick Reply

Latest