Should religion be taken out of schools?

Watch
Poll: Should religion be taken out of schools?
Yes (19)
51.35%
No (18)
48.65%
ben.anderson
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I personally think it shouldn't as it seems to causes more problems than it solves! People are being radicalized in schools, which I believe has not helped the whole Islamic state situation. I personally believe religion should be taken out of schools completely as no child should have it rammed down there throats and should just focus on education . Just wondering on other peoples opinions on this.
TheThiefOfBagdad
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The history of religion should be taught in schools and lessons in ethics should replace traditional R.E.

Faith schools should be abolished, especially in N.Ireland.
ben.anderson
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad)
The history of religion should be taught in schools and lessons in ethics should replace traditional R.E.

Faith schools should be abolished, especially in N.Ireland.
Completely agree with that statement.
stirkee
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
well for sure schools should not be allowed to teach religion as if it is fact (e.g. i remember being taught in primary school that the earth is only a few thousand years old, i mean what?)
physicsamor
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think that schools should offer an array of different religions, it gives people options to choose what they may like the best and because they will come a point where a young person will face reflection in their own faith and then decide whether or not they still want to practise it or not. Even if someone were to force or to not force religion onto a student there will come a point where that person will reflect on their own faith and therefore make a decision on that. It should not be like a subject subject but more like a discussion type session like citizenship, if you get me XD I don't think I expressed my point very clearly XD
TheThiefOfBagdad
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ben.anderson)
Completely agree with that statement.
So I didn't know how to vote as I don't think it should be taken out of schools completely.
llys
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think schools should stick to teaching a very few subjects very well. I think a humanity subject such as History or Anthropology would be part of that. Religion is a part of both, so in that context it should be taught. I wouldn't bother with it as a standalone subject though.
acupofgreentea
Badges: 14
?
Report 5 years ago
I think religious education is important in schools as it fosters an understanding of their religion-abiding peers and the like.

However - I think all religions should be taught equally. I went to an all girls' Catholic and 95% of our RE lessons consisted of Catholic education. I really wish we could have learned about other religions.

I would also make it so RE was not a core subject. RE should not be ranked along the same lines of English and Maths as being essential.

Like others, I'd definitely be for the abolishing of all faith schools!
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hard to say. It has to be a religion lesson where every single faith is introduced and teached - and discussed by teachers and students. That would be nice, but I have my doubts that the majority of people with a faith have an open mind for another religion.
hellodave5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Only in the sense of understanding. Not making your students sing religious hymns every morning.

Bring me a shadow of your peas
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by hellodave5)
Only in the sense of understanding. (...)
Understanding in the sense of explaining the contents of the bibles, Quran etc and helping students to thinking about them carefully and critically?
Odium
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
no omg i always get A* in RS dont take it away
hellodave5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Kallisto)
Understanding in the sense of explaining the contents of the bibles, Quran etc and helping students to thinking about them carefully and critically?
Yeah to understand the beliefs that others may hold and have held in the past, and possible reasons for such beliefs and how they have developed... for critical thinking... aye
HAnwar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No. Learning about other peoples religion helps to spread tolerance, and it's interesting to learn about others beliefs.
lilylf
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not religious studies, no. However in primary school (it was not religious like 'St...') they practically brainwashed us from age 4 and up to believe in god. Every assembly we would take about god and Christianity and sing hymns. For a while I even thought I was a Christian even though my family are not religious at all, however they supported me because they want me to believe what I want, but the only reason I believed this was because every day we were told god was real...yadda yadda yadda. When I got to about age 8-9 I realized that I was just fooled and took my own path. I don't think they should force religion upon young children as they should make up their own minds. Especially when there were people from other religions in my school and we were only taught about Christianity.
asdfaeth
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
lmao it's definitely not being "rammed down there throats" like how the other subject they're studying arnt. It's funny how theatrical people get about religion. That being said, religious studies is pretty pointless and I feel like it just confuses people

Posted from TSR Mobile
ivybridge
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No.
sleepysnooze
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
yes - it's not the duty of schools to teach people about religion - leave that for the churches, mosques and temples. religion is a deeply private matter which has no public significance today (or ever).
and it goes without saying that schools ought to *never*, *ever* be faith schools, e.g. the government actively teaching children that god exists, or that a religion of some variety is true. that is disgraceful. that is the kind of thing that segregates communities and that is the kind of institutional strategy that turns society into a bunch of ann widdecombes and anjem choudaries.

we don't even teach about *politics*, for crying out loud, yet somehow we need *religion*? **** that
we need a class that combines aspects of politics and philosophy to replace religion - *that* would be useful.
username612415
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't think the study of religion should be taken out of schools, but ideally be distributed differently rather than getting its own class. The historical significance of religion could be covered by the relevant modules in history, while the social impact of religion on modern day life could be incorporated into citizenship and P.S.H.E classes. As an increasingly secular country I don't think being able to pass tests on what normally boil down to trivia on judo-christian religions is the best use of classroom time, but having some awareness of other beliefs and cultures is still a useful thing for children to have.
Flora Helia
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This is a topic that I am not comfortable with. On one hand, I wish it to be taught but on the other, I do not.
I got a younger brother, who does learn religious studies. He has started asking the people all around whether they are christian, jews, hindus and christians. It is extremely rude and he is just 7 years old.

But i know that everyone needs to be aware of their roots. So.....
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (4)
100%
No (0)
0%

Watched Threads