Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If I get a tutor, can I pass AS maths before I go back to school, if they'll let me start A2 in September?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    If I get a tutor, can I pass AS maths before I go back to school, if they'll let me start A2 in September?
    DOUBT IT

Youd have to WORK if you did it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deianra)
    Oh dear. Is this what you're resorting to? I'm glad you see Econ as worth it
    I'm going to teach myself A2 Maths over the summer with help from dad, who is PhD Physics and Maths. Thus, I should hopefully be able to start with the Further Maths people in September.

Will do Further Maths. :eek: Ach, the prospect of having to say that. So not in.
    Yeah, this is what I'm resorting to. You reckon I can do it?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, this is what I'm resorting to. You reckon I can do it?
    You may be able to cover all the material if you have some ability in maths and you really put in the effort... but I guess you wouldn't be able to sit the exams until January?

ReputationRep:
    It's possible. As I know people who did all their AS modules from Sept to January, which is around the same time I guess. Will be tough though and when would you take the exams?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowjamz)
    You may be able to cover all the material if you have some ability in maths and you really put in the effort... but I guess you wouldn't be able to sit the exams until January?
    Mmm that's thie thing, I'm not sure my school would be too happy letting me start A2 when I don't have the AS...

ReputationRep:
    Mmm that's thie thing, I'm not sure my school would be too happy letting me start A2 when I don't have the AS...
    That might be a problem then And to be honest, A2 year can get very stressful without the pressure of revising/sitting a whole AS in January. You'd have to think about whether you could do it without compromising your other grades.

Edit: Just noticed this was my 500th post!

ReputationRep:
    course u can...really is not very hard...s1 is ridiculus, m1 is easy (esp if u do physics dunno if u do) and p1, well p1 is a shocker in terms of how easy...barely above gcse

ReputationRep:
    There are some exams in November I think, also I will be starting the A2 without an AS as my college does one of the AS papers at the end of the 2nd year. I reckon you should ask someone in your schools maths department.

ReputationRep:
    I think it is doable (is that a real word?) but it will require a lot of hard work and dedication. If you decide not to do AS Maths over the summer are you planning to do AS Maths next year alongside your A2s? I'm sure plenty of universities will be happy with a good grade at just AS, but I guess it depends on where you're thinking of going.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lgs98jonee)
    course u can...really is not very hard...s1 is ridiculus, m1 is easy (esp if u do physics dunno if u do) and p1, well p1 is a shocker in terms of how easy...barely above gcse
    Thats a bit misleading, I consider myself quite good at Maths and find s1 pretty tough going. Also since Ellie is wanting to do Econ I doubt she'd be doing the Mechanics modules...

ReputationRep:
    I suppose I'll just have a word with my school. It's a means to an end really, I don't want to do pure maths, but I'll go through it if it means getting to do econ. The problem with just doing AS next year, is it'll mean doing it with the year below, and I don't know how timetabling would work out.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose I'll just have a word with my school. It's a means to an end really, I don't want to do pure maths, but I'll go through it if it means getting to do econ. The problem with just doing AS next year, is it'll mean doing it with the year below, and I don't know how timetabling would work out.
    If you can't get timetabled you could do it at adult college or teach yourself and get a tutor for a couple of hours a week throughout the year.

ReputationRep:
    yes its possible - but that means a really terrible summer holidays

ReputationRep:
    Ahh why didn't I just pick maths in the first place, silly me! Would it improve my chances of getting in to economics courses sufficiently to justify all this hard work it'll be for myself?

ReputationRep:
    Ahh why didn't I just pick maths in the first place, silly me! Would it improve my chances of getting in to economics courses sufficiently to justify all this hard work it'll be for myself?
    Depends where you wanna go...and wolf is right, summer will be pretty crap!

ReputationRep:
    If you apply for BAs instead of Bscs they're less likely to ask for Maths and beside plenty of good unis (eg Royal Hollaway) don't even require AS Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus)
    If you apply for BAs instead of Bscs they're less likely to ask for Maths and beside plenty of good unis (eg Royal Hollaway) don't even require AS Maths.
    True and Manchester, Exeter possibly even Leeds. Think they would all want A at GCSE though.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm right well I've pretty much decided, if my school let me do it, I'll ruin my summer, and I'll just get on with it and do it. Economics really does mean that much!

ReputationRep:
    Just do AS, if you want to do the full A-Level go for it, but it would be a hellish summer. AS would be fine for a joint honours.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.