Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Maths AS by September? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    Hmm right well I've pretty much decided, if my school let me do it, I'll ruin my summer, and I'll just get on with it and do it. Economics really does mean that much!
    Good Luck and don't take no for an answer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    True and Manchester, Exeter possibly even Leeds. Think they would all want A at GCSE though.
    I have an A at GCSE, but I'm taking a huge gamble without matyhs aren't I. Leeds do ask for maths I think, and anyway, I guess I'd rather grasp maths this year and have a rubbish time now though having to take extra maths classes at uni and ruin my time then...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BazTheMoney)
    Just do AS, if you want to do the full A-Level go for it, but it would be a hellish summer. AS would be fine for a joint honours.
    You can do Applied Maths AS aswell, not sure what it is really but sounds like it might be useful for Econ. Perhaps more than an ordinary P1/S1 type AS level.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm right well I've pretty much decided, if my school let me do it, I'll ruin my summer, and I'll just get on with it and do it. Economics really does mean that much!
    Good Luck. And have a nice summer...

...sorry that joke was in bad taste

ReputationRep:
    I have an A at GCSE, but I'm taking a huge gamble without matyhs aren't I. Leeds do ask for maths I think, and anyway, I guess I'd rather grasp maths this year and have a rubbish time now though having to take extra maths classes at uni and ruin my time then...
    Thing is your going to need an A or B in maths aswell for it to really count at most places, so its gunna be tough but I'm sure you'll do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    You can do Applied Maths AS aswell, not sure what it is really but sounds like it might be useful for Econ. Perhaps more than an ordinary P1/S1 type AS level.
    P1/P2/S1 would be best.There would be little point in doing mechanics, last time I looked velocity wasn't part of the economic course.

ReputationRep:
    P1/P2/S1 would be best.There would be little point in doing mechanics, last time I looked velocity wasn't part of the economic course.
    Lucky I chose S1+2 then, was literally a coin toss at the time.

ReputationRep:
    I can't really pick and choose though can I, I'm just going to have to do the syllabus?

ReputationRep:
    I can't really pick and choose though can I, I'm just going to have to do the syllabus?
    If you are studying the AS independently I don't see any reason why you can't pick which modules you want to do (IIRC only Pure 1 is compulsory for AS, the rest are optional)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus)
    If you are studying the AS independently I don't see any reason why you can't pick which modules you want to do (IIRC only Pure 1 is compulsory for AS, the rest are optional)

Yes but say she does P1/P2/S1, and then her A2 class does P2, she can't certificate an Alevel with two P2 scores! SHe needs to make sure she doesn't do any modules which her class decides to do for A2.

Also, remember, they're switching over to the new system for next year aren't they? So she will *have* to do C1/C2?

ReputationRep:
    So I can choose? That seems ok then. I like stats the most, from what I can remember of maths anyway! Which are the best modules for me to choose then?

ReputationRep:
    So I can choose? That seems ok then. I like stats the most, from what I can remember of maths anyway! Which are the best modules for me to choose then?
    I'm fairly certain you have no choice but to do C1/C2, and then the obvious choice for a third module is S1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Yes but say she does P1/P2/S1, and then her A2 class does P2, she can't certificate an Alevel with two P2 scores! SHe needs to make sure she doesn't do any modules which her class decides to do for A2.

Also, remember, they're switching over to the new system for next year aren't they? So she will *have* to do C1/C2?
    What's C1?

ReputationRep:
    like stats? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    What's C1?

It's P1 dumbed down.

ReputationRep:
    What's C1?
    Core 1, the new name for Pure 1. Apperently its easier too :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    like stats? :rolleyes:
    Tehe.

ReputationRep:
    So I do this new easy version? Or I stick with P1 and P2?

ReputationRep:
    im finding the trig parts of p2 impossible at the moment, there are about 20 identities to learn and do, and there isnt a direct method...sigh

ReputationRep:
    So I do this new easy version? Or I stick with P1 and P2?

You do the new version

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.