Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    You do the new version
    Ah well that's something then, if it is indeed 'easier'!

ReputationRep:
    ellie how long do you have to learn the as syllabus?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    ellie how long do you have to learn the as syllabus?
    From now until spetember I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    From now until spetember I suppose.
    ok so 2 months lets say 60 days/3 modules so each module 20 days, about 3 weeks a module, i think this is just about possible

i personally cant do it lol, cus its the summer, i cant spend even 1/10th of the holiday revising and doing past papers, im not a great academic at all, but if you can do it, why not?

ReputationRep:
    ok so 2 months lets say 60 days/3 modules so each module 20 days, about 3 weeks a module, i think this is just about possible

i personally cant do it lol, cus its the summer, i cant spend even 1/10th of the holiday revising and doing past papers, im not a great academic at all, but if you can do it, why not?
    I'll speak to my schoo, if it's possible, I'll give it my best shot. Anyway, thanks everyone, I'm off to watch BB, speak to you all soon

ReputationRep:
    Let me just get this straight - you are going into A Level year and want to catch up on AS maths so you can go into the A2 classes in September? If this is the case you will have to work to the old specification as that is what the rest of your yeargroup will have worked to. There may also be certain modules that they have been taught - definitely P1 and then two out of M1, S1, P2 (perhaps even D1).

If you want to do econ I would definitely go for it and it will not be too tricky. However it would be misleading to say P1 is hardly above GCSE as it is a whole new set of ideas that you would have to come to terms with in a relatively short space of time (whereas GCSE you have built up over about 5 years). It is a considerable step up but only because GCSE is so easy. S1 you could probably come to terms with through about 5 hours tuition - it is mostly calculations using formula given in the exam and probability which is very intuitive. M1 I would say needs a little more teaching but again there is not too much to it especially if you have done triple science or are doing Physics AS.

I think for Economics it is definitely worth a shot - you can take modules in Jan and retake in June to get the grade, and even if you end up with a B, as long as your school will predict you an A it will help no end with universities. Even those universities who dont give Maths as a prerequisite will always prefer it.

Personally, I am going to attempt to 'catch up' on the further maths guys, which means P3 and M2 over the summer (as I have already done 4 modules - P1, P2, M1, S1) but am tending to think I will need a tutor. I am not confident on Mechs at all after having a disaster of an exam tomorrow. On the other hand I only need 480/600 for an A in A-level, and if I retake M1 in Jan could well have around 390 which means I don't need to do very well at all in M2. The knowledge base isn't important as I will take all the Stats options as I too am applying for Economics.

At the end of the day I would really advise you to go for it.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say go for it, and wish you all the luck with it. You should be aware though that , the earliest you could take the exams would be November/January depending on exam board and the modules you choose.

It's certainly acheivable, to take the whole A level in a year it just takes dedication, and some good old hard work

All the best

ReputationRep:
    Just a thought, rather than ruin your summer do you have a local college that does A Level in a year? Probably at an evening class, it would be hard work but easier to fit in with your timetable. And there is nothing to stop you approaching your teachers at school for help if you get stuck.

ReputationRep:
    Could I ask you a question?

If I teach myself P1,P2,P3,M1,M2,M3,S1,S2,S3,D1 this summer, and do very well in the past papers(at least 95/100),can I ask my school to let me do A-Level Double Maths (Maths and Further Maths)in one year ?
    The school's subjects' guide said: Pupils will study at least 15 modules maths to achieve an a-level double maths qualification.(EDEXCEL)

Thanks very much!

ReputationRep:
    It would probably be very difficult - and anyway for double maths you only need 12 modules. It's very rare taking Maths A Level, Further Maths A Level and 'Additional Further' maths AS level - in fact I am not even sure if it is possible. You shouldn't have to teach yourself more than 6/7 modules really. Find out exactly how your school's system works.

ReputationRep:
    im finding the trig parts of p2 impossible at the moment, there are about 20 identities to learn and do, and there isnt a direct method...sigh
    It is easier to just learn to following identities:

1) sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1
    2) The sin(A+B) and sin(A-B) formulae.
    3) The cos(A+B) and cos(A-B) formulae.

Of which the last two are in the formula book. All of the other identities can be easily derived from these three.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jinsisi)
    Could I ask you a question?

If I teach myself P1,P2,P3,M1,M2,M3,S1,S2,S3,D1 this summer, and do very well in the past papers(at least 95/100),can I ask my school to let me do A-Level Double Maths (Maths and Further Maths)in one year ?
    The school's subjects' guide said: Pupils will study at least 15 modules maths to achieve an a-level double maths qualification.(EDEXCEL)

Thanks very much!
    IMPOSSIBLE

You are listing them like each one could take a few hours to learn. Remember, P3 takes a year to learn properly, with 2-3 hours tuition a week + homework. To do 15 maths modules in one year would be like taking 5AS levels. Surely you have other subjects as well. I would also highly doubt whether you would be able to 'teach yourself' any of the third level maths modules.

ReputationRep:
    If I get a tutor, can I pass AS maths before I go back to school, if they'll let me start A2 in September?
    Well if you want to have no summer...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    Well if you want to have no summer...
    Hmm well, if that's what it takes... I'll have a chat to my school, and see what they say I think. Realistically though, I won't be able to get any offers for Economics if I don't have maths am I...

ReputationRep:
    I think is is possible and still have a good summer. Also you may only have to do two modules over summer and be able to take one in your own time throughout the year (say P1, S1 to be ready for P2, P3, S1 and learn M1 throughout the year).

ReputationRep:
    Hmm well, if that's what it takes... I'll have a chat to my school, and see what they say I think. Realistically though, I won't be able to get any offers for Economics if I don't have maths am I...
    Try oxford, not cambridge. Land Economy definitely requires no maths, a girl in the year above got an offer from robinsons for it without maths a level.

I think it's worth putting in the investment now though, because in your first year you'll learn up to A level maths standard at least, it'll make your life easier if you do AS maths at least

ReputationRep:
    U maybe able to come out with a C if u did it over the summer but to be honest i cant see u getting above a C.

ReputationRep:
    Try oxford, not cambridge. Land Economy definitely requires no maths, a girl in the year above got an offer from robinsons for it without maths a level.

I think it's worth putting in the investment now though, because in your first year you'll learn up to A level maths standard at least, it'll make your life easier if you do AS maths at least
    Yeah I know applying to Land econ won't be a problem, it's applying to unis that don't officially ask for maths like Manchester, Birmingham, Newcastle etc, but that may use it as a qualifier and I'll be left with no offers. I can hardly rely on Cambridge as my back up now can I :rolleyes: It's more the inconvenience of fitting it in that's a nnoying me rather than the actually doing the AS maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wise Man)
    U maybe able to come out with a C if u did it over the summer but to be honest i cant see u getting above a C.
    Maths AS isn't hard, what did you get at GCSE maths Ellie? If you work at it, and take it once, prove to your school you can at least get a B with summers work and then retake once you've done A2 you shall come out with a very nice A

ReputationRep:
    Maths AS isn't hard, what did you get at GCSE maths Ellie? If you work at it, and take it once, prove to your school you can at least get a B with summers work and then retake once you've done A2 you shall come out with a very nice A
    If that happens i'll eat my hat!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.