The Student Room Group

Best way to remember to check your mirrors?

When I'm driving I'm always forgetting to check my mirrors, I know this is one of the worst mistakes a driver can make and I'm trying to make more of a conscious effort to do so but I find I get so wrapped up in the road ahead that I begin to forget to check them. I'm good at checking them during manoeuvres, when pulling off and when changing lanes but not during general driving. My instructor has never mentioned when to look in mirrors so I just kinda do it periodically but now I've learnt there's a set way to look: before changing speed or direction or indicating. I need to try and form this habit before my test tomorrow and just before I'm next on the road as not checking mirrors is dangerous.

Does anyone have a method they use to remember to check their mirrors?
Reply 1
Dw your examiner will check them for you
Just keep checking them and don't forget to check them. As long as you aren't actually staring into them and it's just a very quick glance, you can't check them too often. My instructor always said if it's been 10 seconds since you last checked your mirrors, it's been too long. He always just said keep showing the examiner that you're checking your interior and right mirror, the left one is only important if you're actually going left. Never got any mirror faults on my test.
Reply 3
Original post by WoodyMKC
Just keep checking them and don't forget to check them. As long as you aren't actually staring into them and it's just a very quick glance, you can't check them too often. My instructor always said if it's been 10 seconds since you last checked your mirrors, it's been too long. He always just said keep showing the examiner that you're checking your interior and right mirror, the left one is only important if you're actually going left. Never got any mirror faults on my test.

Thanks, I just had a lesson and I remembered to check them!!!!! I guess it's just something all drivers struggle to remember to do at first and then it becomes a habit.
Reply 4
Well if that's not the worst advice as well as a lie I ever saw!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending