Access Course - difference between graded and ungraded credits?

Watch
Viapurifico
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I want to apply for Bath Spa's Creative Writing course, which the Admissions department tell me requires 45 distinctions and 30 merits from an Access to HE diploma. However, the Access diploma I just signed up to study here at Distance Learning Centre seems to only have 45 "graded" credits, with the "ungraded" rest being studied at level three. How does that work? Will I still be able to get the required amount of distinctions/merits?

UCAS btw states that the Creative Writing course requires "60 credits, 45 of which must be Level 3, including 15 at merit or higher". The DLC diploma does include a total of 60 credits, so does that mean I'm okay? So confused.
lledrith
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Viapurifico)
I want to apply for Bath Spa's Creative Writing course, which the Admissions department tell me requires 45 distinctions and 30 merits from an Access to HE diploma. However, the Access diploma I just signed up to study here at Distance Learning Centre seems to only have 45 "graded" credits, with the "ungraded" rest being studied at level three. How does that work? Will I still be able to get the required amount of distinctions/merits?

UCAS btw states that the Creative Writing course requires "60 credits, 45 of which must be Level 3, including 15 at merit or higher". The DLC diploma does include a total of 60 credits, so does that mean I'm okay? So confused.
Current access courses offer 60 credits total with 15 ungraded. All of these credits are at level 3 - ungraded just means that 15 of these credits cannot be graded higher than a 'pass'. The distance learning centre uses the same credit template as most colleges, and are treated the same.

It seems odd that a course would want 45 merits AND 30 distinctions when access courses do not offer this many graded credits. Is this what admissions have said to you? Are you sure this wasn't a range taken from the average offer?
Viapurifico
Rep:
?
(Original post by lledrith)
Current access courses offer 60 credits total with 15 ungraded. All of these credits are at level 3 - ungraded just means that 15 of these credits cannot be graded higher than a 'pass'. The distance learning centre uses the same credit template as most colleges, and are treated the same.

It seems odd that a course would want 45 merits AND 30 distinctions when access courses do not offer this many graded credits. Is this what admissions have said to you? Are you sure this wasn't a range taken from the average offer?
I'll ring the Admissions dept again tomorrow to check out what they meant by that, but that's verbatim what the advisor said. Weird! Good to know it's all fine.
callum_law
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It seems as if they told you they want 30 of your credits at distinction or merit, and then the rest at pass. In other words, 30 credits at least at merit.

It's not a hugely competitive degree, so it wouldn't even make sense for them to ask for 30 at distinction.
Viapurifico
Rep:
?
Just got off the phone with Admissions and she clarified they want 45 credits at level 3 (not distinctions!) and at least 30 merits, with the high grades being in the English part of the diploma. That sounds much more achievable!
Michael Munro
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi can anyone here tell me when Access started grading the Level 3 credits with pass, merit or distinction ?. I understand that some level 3 credits are still ungraded in which you cannot get higher than a pass. The reason I am asking is that back in 2005 I did a short course at my local college which gave me 9 Access credits at level 3, but does not give grades, and had heard that they did not start grading the level 3 credits until later years.
BigYoSpeck
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Viapurifico)

Sound like the admissions person has made an error. From their own website:

• Access to HE courses - Typical offers for applicants with Access to HE will be the Access to HE Diploma or Access to HE Certificate (60 credits, 45 of which must be Level 3, including 30 at merit or higher). You may be invited to submit a piece of your own creative writing as part of the selection process.

An Access course diploma is made up of 60 credits. 45 of them are graded which means you can either fail them, or pass them at either a pass, merit, or distinction grade. Most courses tend to make each module worth 3 credits, though there are exceptions so you tend to have 15 graded modules during the course.

45 graded level 3 credits on an access course are equivalent in UCAS points to 3 A Levels though it's hard to really pin it down as saying they are equivalent to a particular grade but as a point of referance all 45 credits at distintion is worth the same as 3 A-levels at grade A.

The remaining 15 credits are ungraded which means basically pass fail, and most courses do 5 modules for those on things like Presentation Skills, Study Skills, Research Skills, Critical Thinking, and Academic Essay Writing. These assignments as I said are pass/fail so there are no grade boundaries you either achieve the criteria of the module or you don't, and you need them to achieve the diploma.

So if your course has 15 graded modules, and 5 ungraded modules, and each are worth 3 credits each then for 10 of the graded modules you will need a merit or distinction grade, for 5 of the graded modules you can be accepted with just a pass grade or higher, and for the 5 ungraded modules you need to achieve the criteria but there are no grades available for them and they aren't worth any UCAS points as a result.

Think of them like the general studies A-level.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (190)
29.41%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.41%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.98%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.36%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.89%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.81%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.88%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.25%

Watched Threads