The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Homosexual...

Do homosexuals choose to be gay or are they born gay? Really before you answer if you're Heterosexual did you choose to be hetero or were you born hetero???

Scroll to see replies

Idk google gives conflicting answers. I don't think science has found the answer yet. I think they r born that way anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Guess they're not really born gay.
Reply 3
Original post by NathanAllen
Do homosexuals choose to be gay or are they born gay? Really before you answer if you're Heterosexual did you choose to be hetero or were you born hetero???

You can't choose who you're sexually attracted to or not attracted to.

It's probably caused by a combination of genetic, epigenetic and environmental factors.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Nah it's a learnt attribute.

You learn who you're attracted to as you grow older, as you compare and decide based off of that. For example, If I had a kid, and they saw no humans in their lives, only a range of animals, I'd be surprised if they didn't become attracted to any of these animals.
Reply 5
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Nah it's a learnt attribute.

You learn who you're attracted to as you grow older, as you compare and decide based off of that. For example, If I had a kid, and they saw no humans in their lives, only a range of animals, I'd be surprised if they didn't become attracted to any of these animals.

Not really. If that was the case there would be no gay people because historically there has been little portrayal of gay people and it was illegal so children wouldn't have seen that it was possible to be attracted to the same sex so they wouldn't have been.

That doesn't explain the existence of asexual people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Katty3
Not really. If that was the case there would be no gay people because historically there has been little portrayal of gay people and it was illegal so children wouldn't have seen that it was possible to be attracted to the same sex so they wouldn't have been.

That doesn't explain the existence of asexual people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean? Yes it does. If a child manages to persuade himself he's gay, or asexual, that's because of what he sees around him. He doesn't find any of the other sex attractive, or thinks he finds nobody attractive. And therefore decides his sexuality.

It's of course a much longer process than this.
Reply 7
What do you mean? Yes it does. If a child manages to persuade himself he's gay, or asexual, that's because of what he sees around him. He doesn't find any of the other sex attractive, or thinks he finds nobody attractive. And therefore decides his sexuality.

It's of course a much longer process than this.

Well no. You don't consciously decide who you are attracted to. You just are.

You can decide what to label your sexuality, but you don't decide who you are attracted to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Katty3
Well no. You don't consciously decide who you are attracted to. You just are.

You can decide what to label your sexuality, but you don't decide who you are attracted to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean you don't consciously decide who you are attracted to? Yes you do.

No offense but you say you're not attracted to humans so you wouldn't really understand. A lot of attraction comes from spending time with someone, and it grows as other factors come in like trust, how they look on different occasions etc etc. No hetero/homo-sexual person could walk into a room of 50 people and instantly decide which ones they want a relationship with and which ones they don't.
why would I choose to be hated by my family, if I could be straight it would be so much easier

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
What do you mean you don't consciously decide who you are attracted to? Yes you do.

No offense but you say you're not attracted to humans so you wouldn't really understand. A lot of attraction comes from spending time with someone, and it grows as other factors come in like trust, how they look on different occasions etc etc. No hetero/homo-sexual person could walk into a room of 50 people and instantly decide which ones they want a relationship with and which ones they don't.

That's romantic attraction not sexual attraction.

Sexual attraction refers to which gender(s) an individual is sexually attracted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The best analogy I have come up with is this:

When my brother and I were really young, we were both ambidextrous (means you can write the same quality with both left and right hands). We didn't want to be the same, so, we came (or at least he did, as he's the oldest) to a conclusion; he wanted to be left handed and therefore I would be right handed. And this was fair enough, it didn't make a huge difference, and could have gone fine either way.

Now I'm grown up and whatever, if you ask me to try and write something with my left hand, I find it uncomfortable, awkward, and I'm really bad at it. I'd much rather use my right hand. Yes, I could force it if I absolutely had to, but I really don't enjoy it, and would much prefer using my right.

This is as close as I can come to explaining sexuality. Once something happens for it to be decided, then that's what 'sticks'.

You can, in some ways 'choose' but in reality you do what is most comfortable, and there becomes a point where one is uncomfortable or one is significantly more comfortable. For some people, they can still write fine with both hands, some can't even write at all.

(bisexuality, asexuality)

You can experiment all you like, even force it one way or another, but you'll find that most people have preferences, and that's fine.

The majority of people are right handed, but that doesn't mean being left handed is wrong or worse.

*sigh* I am not even sure if my words are making sense because it's 3.33am but hey, I tried.
Reply 13
As far as I'm concerned, until we've made significant progress in sociology, psychology, biology etc there will be no conclusive answer. Also it's very difficult to differentiate between variables from nature (biology, psychology), and variables from nurture (sociology, psychology). There are interesting studies on either side but no conclusion - check out Hjernevask by Harold Eia, specifically episode 3 gay/straight, he goes through arguments from nature/nurture, talks to sociologists, biologists etc and goes through some studies. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hjernevask (gives links to watch the documentaries for free, it's in Norwegian with English subtitles). The overwhelming majority of online news articles on the subject are typically psuedoscientific clickbait.
Personally I believe that you don't exactly choose considering my own experiences.

I think people might need to consider why would people want years of hell in school for simply loving who they love? Why would people choose to be gay in places where it is socially unacceptable and illegal?
Fgs there is no way people still have this backwards view that sexuality is within your control and entirely a choice.

You are a complete fool if you think that. I'm sure hundreds of gay teenagers just choose to be gay in spite of the risk of being bullied, abused, threatened by other people yep claps.

It's biological, there might be some potential for environmental factors but sexuality is not a ''''choice''''
Meh I didn't choose to be sexually attracted to women.
gay people do face more hardship than straight, why would I choose that
The body is just a vessel that houses the soul. Does everyone have a choice for everything they do? is it a simple yes or no response to a question?

Does a person decide to kill?

Does a person decide to become addicted to a drug or alcohol?

Does a person decide to drive over the speed limit?

Does a person decide to end there life?

Even when a person says that they have chosen something! Have they really made that choice? or Maybe that's how the person understands it! Maybe genetics plays a role! But once born it depends on the soul! the soul is young and can be influenced by environmental factors.

if it were all in black and white. would it make things easier?

saying that its one way or another is a persons point of view! as know one knows for sure! Even if there was scientific proof on the subject, the question would just change!

Love yourself, you are what you are. Everyone is reading from a different page from the same endless book of life.
Original post by Inexorably
Fgs there is no way people still have this backwards view that sexuality is within your control and entirely a choice.

You are a complete fool if you think that. I'm sure hundreds of gay teenagers just choose to be gay in spite of the risk of being bullied, abused, threatened by other people yep claps.

It's biological, there might be some potential for environmental factors but sexuality is not a ''''choice''''
True consent and choice is largely an illusion; our actions are mostly a result of the influences from our surroundings. Maybe the bullying made them more gay because they were ostracized and had no one to turn to but other gays?
Original post by Bupdeeboowah
True consent and choice is largely an illusion; our actions are mostly a result of the influences from our surroundings. Maybe the bullying made them more gay because they were ostracized and had no one to turn to but other gays?

Even if you want to take this absurd standpoint, you can't explain why they originally would claim to be gay as there would have been no original bullying there jfc.

TSR just bleeds idiocy.

Latest