Frieda Pinto: India is a racist country.

Watch
Danny McCoyne
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago

On Fair Skin Obsessed Indians:

Skin-lightening products are a big seller in the Indian cosmetics industry. On one of my trips to Los Angeles, someone walked up to me and said, “You have the most beautiful caramel-chocolate skin.” In L.A. everyone is sunbathing or going to tanning shops; I wish the 1.2 billion people in India could have a little peek into this culture and appreciate what they have

On Bollywood:

I was rejected by Bollywood for all kinds of things: I wasn't fair enough, I didn't look Indian enough or I was too thin (in a certain zone). In fact, someone wanted me to get some kind of a job-a plastic surgery-done.

On Conservative Indians:

The views expressed by the rapists' lawyers in the film(India's Daughter) are shockingly harsh. "If you leave a diamond in the street, surely the dogs will take it," essentially meaning it's the victim's fault she was raped. How much have you encountered that view in India yourself?
TheRadUser
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Colourism is not the same as racism and whilst I am aware of the existence of deep issues in India, attacking an entire nation of billions of people is in itself racist.
Longshot700
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There's is a very high population in India, of course there's gonna be a higher amount of groups of wackjobs.
goldie56
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TheRadUser)
Colourism is not the same as racism and whilst I am aware of the existence of deep issues in India, attacking an entire nation of billions of people is in itself racist.
Don't Northern Indians have an Aryan heritage (and complex)? If so do you think that edges it to racism or not?
Johann von Gauss
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
PRSOM
username1504459
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
She didn't say it was a racist country but that they had a big colourism issue, which is true.
TheRadUser
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by goldie56)
Don't Northern Indians have an Aryan heritage (and complex)? If so do you think that edges it to racism or not?

He's got the bling, but I'm not convinced
Longshot700
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It is pretty bad though, I know a few indian guys who seem to like a few women just because they're white.

I mean, these women are not great to look at and have the crappiest personalities. It kinda breaks my heart to see it get this bad.

Seen it happen with a few black folks as well, don't get me wrong if it's out of live then it's perfectly but some sort of fetish, it's wrong.
Danny McCoyne
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm black myself and I'm very well aware of what colourism is but you on the other hand... Colourism is a subtext of racism, that is, a branch of the same tree not an entirely different concept.

India is racist to dark skinned people and no I'm not talking about black people when I say dark skinned. I'm refering to dark skinned Indians which exist that mainstream India wants to associate with.

India in the Media:

Underrepresented India:
TheRadUser
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Danny McCoyne)
I'm black myself and I'm very well aware of what colourism is but you on the other hand... Colourism is a subtext of racism, that is, a branch of the same tree not an entirely different concept.

India is racist to dark skinned people and no I'm not talking about black people when I say dark skinned. I'm refering to dark skinned Indians which exist that mainstream India wants to associate with.

India in the Media:

Underrepresented India:

FFS you're missing the point.

I'm not saying it's acceptable, but it's not the same as racism because they're the same race. It's like when British people take the piss out of gingers.
Bupdeeboowah
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
FFS you're missing the point.

I'm not saying it's acceptable, but it's not the same as racism because they're the same race. It's like when British people take the piss out of gingers.
I think certain groups of people in India are ethnically distinct.
loveleest
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
India Is very colourist, although it is definitely not only India, from where I originate from it is extremely colourist too unfortunately, they worship lighter skinned people ( Mostly females ) and look down own darker skinned people. I think It is a very common collectivist societies.
Alaska+
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Danny McCoyne)

On Fair Skin Obsessed Indians:

Skin-lightening products are a big seller in the Indian cosmetics industry. On one of my trips to Los Angeles, someone walked up to me and said, “You have the most beautiful caramel-chocolate skin.” In L.A. everyone is sunbathing or going to tanning shops; I wish the 1.2 billion people in India could have a little peek into this culture and appreciate what they have

On Bollywood:

I was rejected by Bollywood for all kinds of things: I wasn't fair enough, I didn't look Indian enough or I was too thin (in a certain zone). In fact, someone wanted me to get some kind of a job-a plastic surgery-done.

On Conservative Indians:

The views expressed by the rapists' lawyers in the film(India's Daughter) are shockingly harsh. "If you leave a diamond in the street, surely the dogs will take it," essentially meaning it's the victim's fault she was raped. How much have you encountered that view in India yourself?
India's social system is stuck in the 19th century.

The only people outside of India that like India are the dumb gap yah sorts who think going there for a couple months means they're culturally enlightened.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (185)
29.04%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (105)
16.48%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.11%
I want to meet current students (53)
8.32%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
8.01%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (127)
19.94%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.97%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.14%

Watched Threads