Possible to request later interview date (Mature Students' colleges)

Watch
L'Eternité
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I have an interview at Hughes Hall tomorrow and due to a series of unfortunate events I no longer have the means to travel there and nor am I in the right frame of mind to do so.

It is my understanding that the Mature Students' colleges have a second deadline for applications in March and some interviews are held then. Is it possible to request that my interview is moved to a later date or will it lead to a straight rejection? - considering the interview date is tomorrow.

I was supposed to be travelling there with my mother but my grandmother was admitted to hospital to Saturday and my parents have been told that she may not make it...

I do not have the money to arrange for travel and I feel severely distressed by what is happening.

What are my chances of getting my interview rescheduled? I am scared to call in case it results in them deciding not to consider my application any further.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sorry for your troubles, but you'd better contact your college asap! Only they can answer your question - and I'm sure they will be understanding.
L'Eternité
Rep:
?
(Original post by jneill)
Sorry for your troubles, but you'd better contact your college asap! Only they can answer your question - and I'm sure they will be understanding.
I am really scared to call.

Gaining an interview there has been one of the greatest things to happen to me and at great difficulty too. I know that my grandma is sick but I am afraid they will think that I am not a serious applicant given the time I am calling.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by L'Eternité)

Gaining an interview there has been one of the greatest things to happen to me and at great difficulty too. I know that my grandma is sick but I am afraid they will think that I am not a serious applicant given the time I am calling.
They are very used to last minute, and serious, problems happening.

Call them now

You'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Peterhouse Admissions
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

If you don't call then they won't reschedule... Phone then now!

We know that unfortunate things things happen outside of applicant's control and it may be possible to reschedule your interview for the second round or alongside Pool interviews in January.
L'Eternité
Rep:
?
(Original post by jneill)
They are very used to last minute, and serious, problems happening.

Call them now

You'll be fine.
Thank you very much for your help

(Original post by Peterhouse Admissions)
If you don't call then they won't reschedule... Phone then now!

We know that unfortunate things things happen outside of applicant's control and it may be possible to reschedule your interview for the second round or alongside Pool interviews in January.
Dear Peterhouse Admissions Representative,

Thank you for your help on this matter.

I have tried calling them numerous times today but couldn't get through as they are unavailable.

Would it be acceptable to send them an email regarding this? Although I worry they may not read it in time :/
Peterhouse Admissions
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you very much for your help

Dear Peterhouse Admissions Representative,

Thank you for your help on this matter.

I have tried calling them numerous times today but couldn't get through as they are unavailable.

Would it be acceptable to send them an email regarding this? Although I worry they may not read it in time :/
Yes, email. The important thing is to get in touch. Keep trying the phone too.
L'Eternité
Rep:
?
Yes, email. The important thing is to get in touch. Keep trying the phone too.
Thank you for your help, I greatly appreciate it!

I tried calling again to no avail, I did not feel comfortable leaving a voice message for something like this. I have just completed sending them an email through the contact form on their website. I hope they receive it in time.

In your experience, have any applicants had their applications rejected because of something like this?
username1865079
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I tried calling again to no avail, I did not feel comfortable leaving a voice message for something like this. I have just completed sending them an email through the contact form on their website. I hope they receive it in time.

In your experience, have any applicants had their applications rejected because of something like this?
Are you sure you're calling a correct number? It's really strange nobody answers it even you've been trying many times. There's always a porter (usually more than one)who can answer the phone. Also, I'd try leaving a message, too, if I were you if nobody still doesn't answer your phone.
And for email, I think it's better to send it to admission office directly than using a general inquiry form on the website. The email address can usually be found on their website.

And don't worry it may jeopardise your application. They DO understand something like that can happen and they will never use it as an excuse to reject you.
Peterhouse Admissions
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

[email protected]
01223 334897
or Porters at 01223 334898

It's really important that they know what's happening so they can change things accordingly. Leave messages (even if just to say you can't attend due to exceptional family circumstances and to leave a contact number), email, phone, the works!

You shouldn't be scared - admissions staff don't bite and we'd generally move mountains to help our applicants, but if we don't know what's going on then there's only so much we can do. From the College's point of view, if you just don't show up tomorrow without explanation, they can't tell if you've lost interest and are withdrawing, got stuck in transit or whatever so they will have to make an assessment on your paper file and likely won't automatically arrange another interview - I'm afraid that candidates who aren't interviewed are very unlikely to get an offer.
L'Eternité
Rep:
?
(Original post by vincrows)
Are you sure you're calling a correct number? It's really strange nobody answers it even you've been trying many times. There's always a porter (usually more than one)who can answer the phone. Also, I'd try leaving a message, too, if I were you if nobody still doesn't answer your phone.
And for email, I think it's better to send it to admission office directly than using a general inquiry form on the website. The email address can usually be found on their website.

And don't worry it may jeopardise your application. They DO understand something like that can happen and they will never use it as an excuse to reject you.
Thank you for your post, I can confirm that I used the correct phone number. I used both methods to send the message, thank you

[email protected]
01223 334897
or Porters at 01223 334898

It's really important that they know what's happening so they can change things accordingly. Leave messages (even if just to say you can't attend due to exceptional family circumstances and to leave a contact number), email, phone, the works!

You shouldn't be scared - admissions staff don't bite and we'd generally move mountains to help our applicants, but if we don't know what's going on then there's only so much we can do. From the College's point of view, if you just don't show up tomorrow without explanation, they can't tell if you've lost interest and are withdrawing, got stuck in transit or whatever so they will have to make an assessment on your paper file and likely won't automatically arrange another interview - I'm afraid that candidates who aren't interviewed are very unlikely to get an offer.
Hello again, thank you ever so much for your help!

I have just heard back from them from email and it does not sound good.

I was told that UCAS prevents them from rescheduling interviews to after the second round of applications deadline. They said that all can be done is:

'To place my papers in the intercollegiate pool in the category for those who have been unable, at short notice, to attend their interview. There is no guarantee that any college will express an interest in interviewing you and if it were at all possible, it would be in my best interests to attend tomorrow as scheduled.'

The reply received was disappointing, especially considering the week I have had and I guess this means that my application will eventually get rejected since my paper application was quite weak (average student in the past and no recent exams but strong personal statement and reference and relevant work-experience (11+ Maths Tutor for 2+ years)) and I was relying on the interview to demonstrate my ability and enthusiasm about learning more and growing as a mathematician.

Is there anything I can do? I can't help but feel down.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (22)
18.8%
I'm not sure (2)
1.71%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (34)
29.06%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.56%
I'm not a current university student (56)
47.86%

Watched Threads