ibs and university Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I've had it for 4 years now, I went to the doctors 2 years ago and got diagnosed with IBS. They just gave me some pills and that was all the help I got. The pills didn't work, infact they made it worse.

My stomach cramps aren't that bad and the whole toilet issue isn't that bad either. I think it's triggered by anxiety more than anything. The problem is my anxiety is worse when my surroundings are silent. My stomach makes weird noises and it's just really embarrassing, but when I'm relaxed it doesn't do it.

I'm doing a foundation year in art atm and at the start of the year all our classes were silent because no one knew each other and the teachers just used to talk at us a lot. I nearly quit because of this and I hardly went in to college because I was so worried.

In school I used to do my exams in a small room because of this. But now it's nearly time to go to uni. I'm doing fine art, so there'll be no exams but I'll have to go to lectures and I'm really worried because the whole room will be silent apart from the lecturer, do you think if I speak to the uni there'll be any other way I could do lectures? As I know they put the powerpoints on blackboard anyway. Or will I just have to grin and bear it?

Sorry it's so long but I'm so worried, I'm more worried about this than moving away from home and making friends etc. It's the only thing holding me back. :/
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Have you tried asking your doctor for something to help with your anxiety?
samkent6
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I know how you feel, I have social anxiety and IBS, so some social situations really turn my stomach upside down.. That's one of my triggers. Thankfully the tablets they gave me work to a degree. Have you tried getting medication for your anxiety? It might help if you can control your anxiety, either with medication or therapy, and that way you won't have to many IBS attacks? But see your GP for sure, and just go through every option available to you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
This is exactly what I have! It’s awful, makes me so so anxious for lectures and exams and even just going to sit in the library and work is a no go. Have you found anything that works for you??
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
pixierhi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This is exactly what I have. Have you found anything that works yet?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by pixierhi; 1 week ago
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Honestly you need to find a solution which isn't avoidance. You'll have to be in quiet places sometimes. Speak to your doctor again about alternative meds. You could also try a food/symptom diary to see if anything specifically triggers it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (164)
18.47%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (89)
10.02%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.67%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (129)
14.53%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.57%
How can I be the best version of myself? (273)
30.74%

Watched Threads