The Student Room Group

Irish Gaelic Language

I'm a Welsh student and I'm having to conduct an investigation for Welsh Baccalaureate and I'm comparing the uses of the Welsh and Gaelic languages in modern society. I was wondering if any Irish people could shed some light on the general public attitude/opinion regarding the Irish Gaelic language, I'd love to know more about it all.
Well the Irish Gaelic language is very symbolically important to the Irish people and as such it enjoys the status of being the national and first official language of the Republic of Ireland and is spoken by 36% of the population. This constitutes around 1,140,000 people in Ireland and a further 65,000 speakers in Northern Ireland.

Irish was the main language of the native population of the island for most of its recorded history until the growing influence of the English which reached its peak in the 17th century caused the number of speakers to decline.

Many Irish people today believe that the language is integral to their identity and that it should be retained for future generations however most also believe that it has little practical value.

Quick Reply

Latest