The Student Room Group
Hmm... it depends what you mean by "worth it" and "respected". As long as the UK remains in the EU, you would have the same rights to practice medicine in the UK as anyone else. If the UK leaves, you would presumably have to sit the PLAB exam (or whatever replaces it) before being eligible for registration with the GMC. The initial application to join the foundation programme (FY1/FY2) is blind to the medical school you attended. Once you have worked in the UK for a couple of years (and passed some postgraduate exams), I doubt that many people will care where you went to medical school.

If you want to be a doctor, I guess your alternative route is chemistry at Aberdeen/QUB followed by a graduate entry medical degree. However, my feeling is that the future of graduate entry medicine in the UK is not particularly secure and this would also be a much more expensive/time consuming route.

I don't know anything about Plovdiv specifically but I think you just need to weigh up what matters to you in terms of time at university and cost.
Reply 2
Original post by MonteCristo
Hmm... it depends what you mean by "worth it" and "respected". As long as the UK remains in the EU, you would have the same rights to practice medicine in the UK as anyone else. If the UK leaves, you would presumably have to sit the PLAB exam (or whatever replaces it) before being eligible for registration with the GMC. The initial application to join the foundation programme (FY1/FY2) is blind to the medical school you attended. Once you have worked in the UK for a couple of years (and passed some postgraduate exams), I doubt that many people will care where you went to medical school.

If you want to be a doctor, I guess your alternative route is chemistry at Aberdeen/QUB followed by a graduate entry medical degree. However, my feeling is that the future of graduate entry medicine in the UK is not particularly secure and this would also be a much more expensive/time consuming route.

I don't know anything about Plovdiv specifically but I think you just need to weigh up what matters to you in terms of time at university and cost.

Thanks man, just hope I can do my clinical placement at a UK hospital rather than the one in Plovdiv. Cheers!
Original post by paddymcmahon
Thanks man, just hope I can do my clinical placement at a UK hospital rather than the one in Plovdiv. Cheers!

If you're studying at Plovdiv then all of your placements will be there. You'd only get to come to the UK for an elective placement (if they do electives) and as such you'd have to learn the language.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's going to be national medical finals, the idea being to test those who qualified in the EU (as well as everyone in the UK). The aim is to go live by 2019.

http://www.gmc-uk.org/news/25493.asp
http://www.gmc-uk.org/06___National_Licensing_Examination.pdf_57876215.pdf
It's definitely worth it, my brother is studying in East Europe and loves it. Every time I speak to him he can't stop raving about it but he does feel a bit bitter about the UK, his home country, making it impossible to study his dream course. Feel ffree to message me if you have any questions.