The Student Room Group

Post- graduate medicine

Currently not studying but have achieved a 2:2 in bio medical sciences which has narrowed my chances to just Nottingham to do medicine. Doing a masters will allow me more choices of Kings, Swansea, Nottingham, Warwick and St Georges.
After contacting all the Universities only Kings gave me a thorough explanation, saying to study bio medicine or neuroscience at masters level along with UKCAT will help my application.
Does anyone know if neuroscience helps with application to the other 4 Universities?
Also, I know with bio med I have undergraduate knowledge and I don't feel so weary about it, however the subject of neuroscience fascinates me to a degree of my current knowledge but at a masters level the unknown is drifting me away from the thought and wanted some advice if anyone has been in my position?
To recommend me to do bio med or neuroscience from their own experience?
I recommend neuroscience, just cause its really interesting. I forced myself into studying for a MSc in a facet of neuroscience, cognitive neuroscience, to try and strengthen an application too and just allow myself more time to mature and gain some experience. You should be able to cope with the MSc having done bio medicine - and the unknowns in neuroscience and it as a quickly developing field (as it will be for a very long time, I think) makes for it to be more interesting. Has many applications too if you decide you don't want to do medicine.
You could probably also strengthen your application in other ways though (albeit still being able to only apply to few uni's due to the 2:2), such as carrying out research and getting clinical experience. Though the masters may be a good idea just to get a chance at more prospective uni's.
Though bare in mind that the uni will want a merit or distinction in your MSc to mitigate the 2:2.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending