The Student Room Group

Language barrier when dating

I'm seeing a Spanish girl who has been living in the country just under two years. We've been on a few dates and she's invited me over where we've kissed, cuddled, etc.

She seems more serious about being together, than regular english girls I've previously been with like less banter, more talking. We seem to act like a couple, but we haven't spoken about it.

She agrees to dates and initiates contact 80% of the time, most days I don't get chance to initiate myself and we're set to meet again this Sunday.

My only problem is the language barrier when we text. Sometimes when I'm teasing her or joking around, she will not understand the word and ask what it means. I don't usually like having text conversations, but she always starts them and asks how my day is/how I am.

For example, our most recent conversation was:

[3am]Girl - Just finished work and got home!! Haha
Girl - I'm so glad your dad is at home!
[9am]Me - You're such a tease..
Girl - Tease?
Girl - What do you mean with that?
Me - Will tell you when I see you next. I'll teach you all these new words!
Girls -Nonono what do you mean? Cause i've been looking in google and OMG!
Me - I meant teasing when you finished work, as I was up early and i'd rather be asleep in bed
Girl - Ok hahah thanks

Did her last reply seem bad? I didn't reply because it looked like it didn't need one.

I'm just worried she might have searched it and got the wrong meaning of what I meant with the "OMG!". I guess time will tell if she initiates or still continues to see me.
Hopefully when she did search 'tease' it didn't come up with an adult website.
Reply 2
Original post by hellodave5
Hopefully when she did search 'tease' it didn't come up with an adult website.

If I google it like she said she did then it just comes up with definitions. Judging off her last reply could she be put off?
Original post by Anonymous
If I google it like she said she did then it just comes up with definitions. Judging off her last reply could she be put off?

Language in texts is pretty hard to read emotions off of. I wouldn't think too much of it, its only one text. Ask her if she would like to do something like grab a brew and get to know each other more
Sounds like you're overanalysing a lot
I know its stupid but I find that kind of cute, in all honesty. Really though, I don't think that it's a significant problem that's worth thinking about.
Reply 6
Fair enough, thanks for your opinions! I'm probably overthinking and will judge on future interactions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending