Lee SS Cee
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I took English language in year 10 (was not the greatest year for me) and I got a C which was not what i was predicted however as i said, it was not the greatest year for me..:bawling:
i thought i would be able to retake English language as my school did this to past year 11's however, now i'm in year 11, i have been told i have to do English Lit and i cannot retake Lang as ''C'' counts as a pass, only people who failed can retake.

My question is how will this effect me if i want to do English Lang&Lit A-level? and is Literature more superior than language?
Aaron2515
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
I think that English literature is moe highly looked at better than English language. Think it's a better A Level to have. However, doing both is still very good and I think they should still allow you to take English language for A level even though you got a C. Also I find it odd that they won't let you repeat it because when I got my results in August my lowest mark unfortunately was English with a C so I was allowed to repeat it and did so in November, will find put the result in January. But they should let you! Or you can pay for a re-sit outside of school even in the summer or speak to the school about how you really want to re-sit it. Or if it's just simply you want to do it for A Level and there is no university requirement at GCSE level then maybe there is no point repeating it as long as you can take it for A Level. An English course further into uni is very good as you can do lots of things such as even go in law etc. Good luck! P.s have you taken any more GCSE's such as Maths just put of curiosity!
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Lee SS Cee)
I took English language in year 10 (was not the greatest year for me) and I got a C
i thought i would be able to retake English language as my school did this to past year 11's however, now i'm in year 11, i have been told i have to do English Lit and i cannot retake Lang as ''C'' counts as a pass, only people who failed can retake.

My question is how will this effect me if i want to do English Lang&Lit A-level? and is Literature more superior than language?
It's an odd fact that English Language is the more important subject at GCSE but English Literature is more highly regarded at A level.

What grades you need to study a subject at 6th form is down to the 6th form, so check the requirements for 6th forms you are applying for. If you do need a B at GCSE English Language then explain this to your school and ask again to re-sit - offer to pay if needs be (depend on the exam board it costs between £30 and £55). (The rule about re-sitting is only your school's rule, in principle anyone can re-sit).
Lee SS Cee
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aaron2515)
I think that English literature is moe highly looked at better than English language. Think it's a better A Level to have. However, doing both is still very good and I think they should still allow you to take English language for A level even though you got a C. Also I find it odd that they won't let you repeat it because when I got my results in August my lowest mark unfortunately was English with a C so I was allowed to repeat it and did so in November, will find put the result in January. But they should let you! Or you can pay for a re-sit outside of school even in the summer or speak to the school about how you really want to re-sit it. Or if it's just simply you want to do it for A Level and there is no university requirement at GCSE level then maybe there is no point repeating it as long as you can take it for A Level. An English course further into uni is very good as you can do lots of things such as even go in law etc. Good luck! P.s have you taken any more GCSE's such as Maths just put of curiosity!
I know its odd, my school is very unnecessarily strict which is very annoying and inconvenient in most cases... they wont let me retake as they only care about the entry requirements of their sixth form and not any other college. Good luck with your results though!
I will probably retake it through AQA as a part of me wants to be an English teacher and the other part wants to get into like law or social care. So i just want to make sure my options are open.
Um i want to take English Lit&Lang, Psychology, Sociology and if i get a chance to take another i cant choose between Geography or Art as im great in both. But if i pass maths with an A, ill probably do maths.. Im very indecisive.
Lee SS Cee
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
It's an odd fact that English Language is the more important subject at GCSE but English Literature is more highly regarded at A level.

What grades you need to study a subject at 6th form is down to the 6th form, so check the requirements for 6th forms you are applying for. If you do need a B at GCSE English Language then explain this to your school and ask again to re-sit - offer to pay if needs be (depend on the exam board it costs between £30 and £55). (The rule about re-sitting is only your school's rule, in principle anyone can re-sit).
Some sixth forms need A*-C in main subjects: English, Maths & Science but some need B in Lang or Lit, however, when i spoke to my school they said because Lit is superior to Lang is i get an A in Lit i should be ok. I know its just my schools rule because my school only cares about the entry requirements for their sixth form and not any other so its very inconvenient for me but thanks for replying, ill probably retake through an exam board just to widen my chances of getting into other sixth forms
Aaron2515
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
Some sixth forms need A*-C in main subjects: English, Maths & Science but some need B in Lang or Lit, however, when i spoke to my school they said because Lit is superior to Lang is i get an A in Lit i should be ok. I know its just my schools rule because my school only cares about the entry requirements for their sixth form and not any other so its very inconvenient for me but thanks for replying, ill probably retake through an exam board just to widen my chances of getting into other sixth forms
You're welcome, and yes good idea and not only will it widen your chance to another sixth form but also widen your chances of getting into a better university as most top universities depending on the course require a B in English.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
ill probably retake through an exam board just to widen my chances of getting into other sixth forms
I'm not sure what you mean by this - you can't arrange anything directly with the exam board, you have to find an exam centre willing to accept you and arrange everything through them. Obviously, the simplest and cheapest exam centre to use is your current school - I would try asking them and offer to pay, as going somewhere else will be more expensive and cause problems if you have a clash with exams. The entry deadline is 21 February and it can be hard to find a centre to accept you so you need to get organising in January.
Lee SS Cee
Rep:
?
I'm not sure what you mean by this - you can't arrange anything directly with the exam board, you have to find an exam centre willing to accept you and arrange everything through them. Obviously, the simplest and cheapest exam centre to use is your current school - I would try asking them and offer to pay, as going somewhere else will be more expensive and cause problems if you have a clash with exams. The entry deadline is 21 February and it can be hard to find a centre to accept you so you need to get organising in January.
My school is complicated and going through them would probably cause me more hassle and stress... also, on AQA's website they tell you ways to retake exams through them and it tells you the fees, hence why i said through an exam board.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My school is complicated and going through them would probably cause me more hassle and stress...
Believe me, it won't be anywhere near as stressful as finding somewhere else.

also, on AQA's website they tell you ways to retake exams through them and it tells you the fees, hence why i said through an exam board.
What AQA's website http://www.aqa.org.uk/student-suppor...ate-candidates says is
find an AQA-approved school or college in the UK which is willing to accept and enter you as a private candidate. This process of finding a suitable place can take some time

Also, AQA only quotes the fees it charges the centre -around £30 per GCSE which is probably what you school would charge you. Private candidates are likely to have to pay £50-£150 as the centre will add on its admin costs.
Lee SS Cee
Rep:
?
Believe me, it won't be anywhere near as stressful as finding somewhere else.

What AQA's website http://www.aqa.org.uk/student-suppor...ate-candidates says is
find an AQA-approved school or college in the UK which is willing to accept and enter you as a private candidate. This process of finding a suitable place can take some time

Also, AQA only quotes the fees it charges the centre -around £30 per GCSE which is probably what you school would charge you. Private candidates are likely to have to pay £50-£150 as the centre will add on its admin costs.
Really ok thanks,
Merry christmas.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (73)
27.76%
No - I have already returned home (30)
11.41%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
20.53%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.65%
No - I live at home during term anyway (78)
29.66%

Watched Threads