Blackfriars - Glasgow, Good accomodation? Watch

Anne1tje
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey, I am an exchange student and in January I will come to Glasgow to study at Strathclyde University. I am now searching for rooms and got an offer at Blackfriars and at Kelvin-Grove house. Does anyone of you have an opinion on which room I should take? I read a lot of bad reviews on Blackfriars but it is so close to uni so that would be really nice.Thanks!
Fairne
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Same boat. I'll come to Glasgow next week and I still don't know what to do: got offers...but I wonder if bad reviews on Unite Students can influence me. I would love to spend a peaceful semester here :/
geolowiser
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
A quick heads up on Unite:

The cast majority of bad reviews come from people who can't pay their rent, so naturally are very frustrated when Unite says find a replacement or pay up, it's mostly kids whining because they signed a contract they couldn't commit to even when unforeseen circumstances come up.

As for the remainer of the issues RE bad support staff etc it seems to be centred around specific properties. Getting in touch with Unite is difficult, and I've heard that maintenance takes a long to time respond to things regardless of whether it's an emergency or not, but remember that it's the same across the board, and that there is no forum for individual landlords and the uni owned halls are older and just as bad.

I have no particular love for Unite, but don't be swayed by the opinions of the people who post about it. Almost all Unite issues posted on TSR are because they want to leave in December or in June and can't find a replacement tennant, so the end result is them having to honour the commitment they made at the start. Same goes for any contract.
geolowiser
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by geolowiser)

The cast majority of bad reviews come from people who can't pay their rent, so naturally are very frustrated when Unite says find a replacement or pay up, it's mostly kids whining because they signed a contract they couldn't commit to even when unforeseen circumstances come up.

As for the remainer of the issues RE bad support staff etc it seems to be centred around specific properties. Getting in touch with Unite is difficult, and I've heard that maintenance takes a long to time respond to things regardless of whether it's an emergency or not, but remember that it's the same across the board, and that there is no forum for individual landlords and the uni owned halls are older and just as bad.

I have no particular love for Unite, but don't be swayed by the opinions of the people who post about it. Almost all Unite issues posted on TSR are because they want to leave in December or in June and can't find a replacement tennant, so the end result is them having to honour the commitment they made at the start. Same goes for any contract.
That being said, what maintenance considers an emergency is very different to what everyone else does. If the internet drops out that isn't an emergency, even though a hundred people cannot study. On the plus side a good thing is that there is a team on hand to fix it so you don't have to worry about it yourself.
Feocampbell
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Dorms are disgustingStaff rude and unresponsiveBeds have holes in themNo hot waterWiFi rubbishThey moved a violent sexual predator in who attacked us and made us fearful to step outside out rooms they are aware of 5his and so are police but they haven’t removed them No security on site, when they are there they let themselves into your room while your sleepingDrugs are everywhere and being sold unite ‘news about this and does nothing about Please be aware I have plenty of money and can pay rent two times over ,unissued are white rude staff, no safety and disgusting environment and being sexually assaulted and unite keeping my rapist in my dorm
Feocampbell
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anne1tje)
Hey, I am an exchange student and in January I will come to Glasgow to study at Strathclyde University. I am now searching for rooms and got an offer at Blackfriars and at Kelvin-Grove house. Does anyone of you have an opinion on which room I should take? I read a lot of bad reviews on Blackfriars but it is so close to uni so that would be really nice.Thanks!
Dorms are disgustingStaff rude and unresponsive, beds have holes in them, no hot water, WiFi rubbish, they moved a violent sexual predator in who attacked us and made us fearful to step outside out rooms they are aware of this and so are police but they haven’t removed them No security on site, when they are there they let themselves into your room while your sleeping drugs are everywhere and being sold unite knew about this and does nothing about, rude staff, no safety and disgusting environment and being sexually assaulted and unite keeping my rapist in my dorm. Please avoid at all costs for your own safety please do not give them money as that’s all they want they won’t support you in anyway
Feocampbell
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Feocampbell)
Dorms are disgustingStaff rude and unresponsive, beds have holes in them, no hot water, WiFi rubbish, they moved a violent sexual predator in who attacked us and made us fearful to step outside out rooms they are aware of this and so are police but they haven’t removed them No security on site, when they are there they let themselves into your room while your sleeping drugs are everywhere and being sold unite knew about this and does nothing about, rude staff, no safety and disgusting environment and being sexually assaulted and unite keeping my rapist in my dorm. Please avoid at all costs for your own safety please do not give them money as that’s all they want they won’t support you in anyway
(Original post by geolowiser)

Do you work for them because you clearly haven’t stayed here! I have enough money to pay the rent three times over with money left over so not a rent issue this palace isn’t safe, is disgusting and staff and unhelpful and rude this building isn’t safe for a young female due to things that have happened where police are involved but unite still haven’t fixed the issue. If you want attached, beaten, stalked and raped by your flat mate and play nearly £700 for the privilege to have you. Abusers allow3 to stay by unite and them refuse to let you Leave your contract as you won’t put another person in that flat to be at risk then yeah great place to be. Be serious pal your a joke risk8ng this lassies life AVIOD UNITE AT ALL COSTS
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (133)
18.6%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (72)
10.07%
No I am happy with my course choice (407)
56.92%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (103)
14.41%

Watched Threads