Clearing Watch

This discussion is closed.
The Cool Dude
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
OK Guys something im not sure about and cant seem to find the information either.
Clearing opens on the 14th August.
So we can call up universities and ask them about their vacancies.
Will this service be available on saturday 16th August and sunday 17th August aswell ?
Does it depend on each individual university?
Is clearing only available for a particular university as and when its open?

(some of these questions may seem dumb, but o well i want to get the doubt out of my head...best to be safe then sorry!)
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by The Cool Dude)
OK Guys something im not sure about and cant seem to find the information either.
Clearing opens on the 14th August.
So we can call up universities and ask them about their vacancies.
Will this service be available on saturday 16th August and sunday 17th August aswell ?
Is clearing only available for a particular university as and when its open?

(some of these questions may seem dumb, but o well i want to get the doubt out of my head...best to be safe then sorry!)
I think you'll find this site very useful:

http://www.ucas.com/clearing/instr.html

They are all the instructions of what to do.
The Cool Dude
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Expression)
I think you'll find this site very useful:

http://www.ucas.com/clearing/instr.html

They are all the instructions of what to do.
blah...i hate it when ppl redirect me to a HTML....im aware of that site like thousands of other students...i would prefer if u just told me mate!
Expression
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
blah...i hate it when ppl redirect me to a HTML....im aware of that site like thousands of other students...i would prefer if u just told me mate!
Alright then, I'll read it for you, if you don't have your CF or CI places confirmed due to a short coming in results, UCAS will send you a Clearing Entry Form (CEF).

This will have a unique CEF number on it, as well as your UCAS Application Number, have these at hand.

Get looking through the Vacancies List, and make a note of all of them that take your fancy.

Ring the institutions they will make you an offer, only send in the CEF if they request it.

You can only send the CEF to one instiution at a time, if the University confirm they want you through clearing, you accept the conditions offered by the Uni, they will then not return your CEF, if you decline them, your CEF will be returned and you start again.

I don't have any idea how long this process takes.

The last clearing list pubication is the one on the 11th September in the Telegraph.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Alright then, I'll read it for you, if you don't have your CF or CI places confirmed due to a short coming in results, UCAS will send you a Clearing Entry Form (CEF).

This will have a unique CEF number on it, as well as your UCAS Application Number, have these at hand.

Get looking through the Vacancies List, and make a note of all of them that take your fancy.

Ring the institutions they will make you an offer, only send in the CEF if they request it.

You can only send the CEF to one instiution at a time, if the University confirm they want you through clearing, you accept the conditions offered by the Uni, they will then not return your CEF, if you decline them, your CEF will be returned and you start again.

I don't have any idea how long this process takes.

The last clearing list pubication is the one on the 11th September in the Telegraph.

yes Mate i understand that. But your not answering my questions...........

LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)

Actually I think you will find that the nearly Worshipful, Overlord in training Expression did answer both questions.

Clearing runs for a longer time than one weekend as it has to be the actual CEF you send to a university, not just a fax or e-mail of it. I should imagine that most universities will have people in over the weekend so that you can speak to them.

It does depend on the individual universities whether they accept you or not but you must use the CEF. I should imagine that it would take one or two days for a list of universities with vacancies to be compiled and printed in the papers and the CEF will take a day or two to reach you so this will mean that it will probably be Monday 18th before you can enquire.
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
It does depend on the individual universities whether they accept you or not but you must use the CEF. I should imagine that it would take one or two days for a list of universities with vacancies to be compiled and printed in the papers and the CEF will take a day or two to reach you so this will mean that it will probably be Monday 18th before you can enquire.
Thats not correct.

Universities have our A-Level results about 3/4 days before we actually get them. Therfore they know what places are available for clearing before we have even seen our results. The places available in clearing are therefore published on the 14th, the same day as the results, so you can start enquiring the same day. Also, the CEF I think is sent with your results, as UCAS will have noted that the grades you acheived are short of what was required in your firm and/or insurance offers.

It is all explained in that webpage that Expression posted. It might be easier to clarify all the information you want if you just read it.
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
[QUOTE=Lord Huntroyde]Actually I think you will find that the nearly Worshipful, Overlord in training Expression did answer both questions.

QUOTE]

sorry, but expression didnt answer the questions.

i think you will be able to contact universities over the weekend. they understand that we've waited so long... and how awful it would be to be unsure about your future while they have a weekend off. but it'll prob only be availible the weeknd of the 16/17th.

but the best advice is get in early. clearing lists are published on the 14th and so by sat will be out of date.

hope you dont need them

love Katy***
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I know what you mean, especially that 'UCAS' URL. Some people think we're so stupid, that we wouldn't bother looking there ourselves. It's like someone asking for some information on the BBC...

Anonymous: you could always try http://www.bbc.co.uk

</groan>

Although it's nice of them to reply and everything.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Chicken)
Thats not correct.

Universities have our A-Level results about 3/4 days before we actually get them. Therfore they know what places are available for clearing before we have even seen our results. The places available in clearing are therefore published on the 14th, the same day as the results, so you can start enquiring the same day. Also, the CEF I think is sent with your results, as UCAS will have noted that the grades you acheived are short of what was required in your firm and/or insurance offers.

It is all explained in that webpage that Expression posted. It might be easier to clarify all the information you want if you just read it.
I didn't realise that, thankyou for clearing (pun intended!! ) it up. How do UCAS know if a university has decidied to accept someone even though they didn't get the correct grades. Ie, someone was offered AAB, they got ABB but the university decided to accept them anyway.
ickle_katy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
I didn't realise that, thankyou for clearing (pun intended!! ) it up. How do UCAS know if a university has decidied to accept someone even though they didn't get the correct grades. Ie, someone was offered AAB, they got ABB but the university decided to accept them anyway.
because the universities have to inform them by tuesday the 12th.

love Katy ***
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The Clearing places are published in the Scottish Independant on 12th August (presumably because Highers marks come out sooner. Does that mean that if lived on the border you could find out the best clearing places before every one else even though you took A-levels?
ickle_katy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yes- except you cant apply till the 14th- and i believe they're only vacancies for scotland.

love Katy ***
The Cool Dude
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Expression didnt answer my question...

Thank you Katy for the support and answering my Question!

Glad universities will be willing to do that.
Expression
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)

Given that the last Telegraph clearing list is available on the 11 September, I would firstly suggest that clearing is available until after the weekend in question.

Secondly, given that Sat 16 and Sun 17 the first weekend after the results are published, I would imagine that the clearing service will be available, maybe taking longer to get through due to possible reductions in staffing - and limited hours.

I'm not sure how quickly the CEF forms take to get through to your home address though, maybe by the Friday 15th, since institutions know your results before you do, and will have made a decision already, and informed UCAS, however clearly the CEF form can't be sent to you for the morning of the 14th - that really would be counter productive.

Your University may be able to inform you of the admissions office opening hours for clearing enquiries, it may infact be deep somewhere on the various universities websites, and require a bit of delving, and much frustration !

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, I would have given a more full answer earlier, but was on my way out to a BBQ. Apologies for how vague it was.
ickle_katy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Given that the last Telegraph clearing list is available on the 11 September, I would firstly suggest that clearing is available until after the weekend in question.

Secondly, given that Sat 16 and Sun 17 the first weekend after the results are published, I would imagine that the clearing service will be available, maybe taking longer to get through due to possible reductions in staffing - and limited hours.

I'm not sure how quickly the CEF forms take to get through to your home address though, maybe by the Friday 15th, since institutions know your results before you do, and will have made a decision already, and informed UCAS, however clearly the CEF form can't be sent to you for the morning of the 14th - that really would be counter productive.

Your University may be able to inform you of the admissions office opening hours for clearing enquiries, it may infact be deep somewhere on the various universities websites, and require a bit of delving, and much frustration !

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, I would have given a more full answer earlier, but was on my way out to a BBQ. Apologies for how vague it was.

ive already answered the question :P

whats all this about a CEF form???

love Katy ***
Expression
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ickle_katy)
ive already answered the question :P

whats all this about a CEF form???

love Katy ***
Clearing Entry Form (CEF) - the bit of paper that UCAS sends you that you have to send to the University you wish to go to through the Clearing process.
ickle_katy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Clearing Entry Form (CEF) - the bit of paper that UCAS sends you that you have to send to the University you wish to go to through the Clearing process.

i thought you just rang up??

love Katy ***
Expression
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ickle_katy)
i thought you just rang up??

love Katy ***
Yeh you ring up once the list is published so you can get your enquiry in straight away, but this doesn't guarentee you a place.

If you like the sounds of a particular course, once you've rang them up, and you state that you want to apply, you fill in the relevent details on the CEF (probably will arrive at all non-placed students on 15th or 16th), and send it to the Uni, they will then make a formal offer - if you accept, you are legally obligued to attend there, if you decline, you get your CEF back and you continue to look through the vacancies list.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (63)
14.89%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (63)
14.89%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (80)
18.91%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (170)
40.19%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (20)
4.73%
No particular grades needed (27)
6.38%