Dropping Out Of School Due to Illness and Declaring Unfinished GCSE Grades Watch

acupofgreentea
Badges: 13
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So, this is a bit of a long story, it'd mean the world if you could bear with me -

I went to secondary school fully until the beginning of year eleven. Toward the end of year nine, I began to develop mental health issues. In year ten, these continued and I had extremely sporadic attendance. In year eleven, I attended the first day and didn't attend after that. I was given doctor's permission to leave, so the EA was no problem.

In year nine, I did a few of my first GCSE exams and did several more in year ten (including one or two resits, due to getting bad grades on the first ones as my illness developed). It's hard for me to remember around this time, but I'd say I did ten exams, max, as well as submitting pieces of coursework for English Lit and a practical for Biology.

I didn't attend any exams in year eleven, including my end of year ones. At first, work was sent home and efforts were made to try and ensure I finished my GCSEs, but at that point, I didn't have many times when I was well enough to work and I wasn't notified at all over my summer exams. I also wasn't notified of results day and nothing was ever mentioned about picking up results, I never recieved any official GCSE grades.

This made sense to me as I didn't complete any of my subjects fully and I'd assumed up until now, checking my UCAS over before sending it off, that I'd just not enter my school as I didn't have any qualifications to enter.

However - I was just reading that UCAS check your qualifications by checking exam entries made in your name and I was wondering if this means the exams I was entered for will show up? I'm also not entirely sure whether I was fully withdrawn in the end or just classed as a no-show, the school never said. I'd ring my school to check, but I've been out of school for five or six years and the records are wiped after two.

So ... quite a complicated situation. Will I be OK to leave it off? I don't even know how I'd enter that into UCAS, anyway. I just don't want to be considered 'fraudulant'.

Replies would be super, super appreciated! If you've gotten this for, you already have all of my gratitude!
whydoidothis?
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Just need some info, are you applying to uni?
I'm guessing you have AS levels but are unsure about your GCSEs.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by acupofgreentea)
So, this is a bit of a long story, it'd mean the world if you could bear with me -

I went to secondary school fully until the beginning of year eleven. Toward the end of year nine, I began to develop mental health issues. In year ten, these continued and I had extremely sporadic attendance. In year eleven, I attended the first day and didn't attend after that. I was given doctor's permission to leave, so the EA was no problem.

In year nine, I did a few of my first GCSE exams and did several more in year ten (including one or two resits, due to getting bad grades on the first ones as my illness developed). It's hard for me to remember around this time, but I'd say I did ten exams, max, as well as submitting pieces of coursework for English Lit and a practical for Biology.

I didn't attend any exams in year eleven, including my end of year ones. At first, work was sent home and efforts were made to try and ensure I finished my GCSEs, but at that point, I didn't have many times when I was well enough to work and I wasn't notified at all over my summer exams. I also wasn't notified of results day and nothing was ever mentioned about picking up results, I never recieved any official GCSE grades.

This made sense to me as I didn't complete any of my subjects fully and I'd assumed up until now, checking my UCAS over before sending it off, that I'd just not enter my school as I didn't have any qualifications to enter.

However - I was just reading that UCAS check your qualifications by checking exam entries made in your name and I was wondering if this means the exams I was entered for will show up? I'm also not entirely sure whether I was fully withdrawn in the end or just classed as a no-show, the school never said. I'd ring my school to check, but I've been out of school for five or six years and the records are wiped after two.

So ... quite a complicated situation. Will I be OK to leave it off? I don't even know how I'd enter that into UCAS, anyway. I just don't want to be considered 'fraudulant'.

Replies would be super, super appreciated! If you've gotten this for, you already have all of my gratitude!
Do you know which exam boards that you did any exams under? they would keep records of any results you would have so should be able to give you a copy of them.
I think as this is quite a complicated situation and it could be best to speak to your universities as to what they think is the best action especially as most require you to have english and maths gcses as a minimum.
acupofgreentea
(Original post by claireestelle)
Do you know which exam boards that you did any exams under? they would keep records of any results you would have so should be able to give you a copy of them.
I think as this is quite a complicated situation and it could be best to speak to your universities as to what they think is the best action especially as most require you to have english and maths gcses as a minimum.
Oh, no! I finally did my GCSEs last year and I have both, everything is fine there.

And I have no idea. Like I said, I don't remember much from that time, I couldn't even tell you what subjects I sat.

It is, isn't it? I really appreciate you replying! I know it's kind of a headache.

I might call UCAS tomorrow. Given it's their site, hopefully they'll know what to do.

Thank you so much for your reply! I didn't expect anyone to reply, so it means the world!
acupofgreentea
(Original post by whydoidothis?)
Just need some info, are you applying to uni?
I'm guessing you have AS levels but are unsure about your GCSEs.
Hi, hi, thank you so much for replying!

OK -

I did my GCSEs (finally!) last year. I did English, Maths and Biology and passed them all. I was nineteen at the time.

Now, I'm on an Access to HE: Social Science course and yes, I'm applying to university for 2016 entry!

No AS levels. Between when I left school and started my GCSEs again last year, I was at college, but they were non-mainstream courses as I wasn't ready to be in a 'normal' classroom yet.

If it helps - I got to do my GCSEs for free despite being an adult student because I was classed as never having completed them before.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Oh, no! I finally did my GCSEs last year and I have both, everything is fine there.

And I have no idea. Like I said, I don't remember much from that time, I couldn't even tell you what subjects I sat.

It is, isn't it? I really appreciate you replying! I know it's kind of a headache.

I might call UCAS tomorrow. Given it's their site, hopefully they'll know what to do.

Thank you so much for your reply! I didn't expect anyone to reply, so it means the world!
Oh I understand what you meant now, I recon you should put down that you attended the school for the year 9 - year 10 years and then any other information that you can add about what you did study.But as you didn't finish them/ get them certificated it is a real grey area so I agree give ucas a call and hopefully they can give you a definitive answer
acupofgreentea
(Original post by claireestelle)
Oh I understand what you meant now, I recon you should put down that you attended the school for the year 9 - year 10 years and then any other information that you can add about what you did study.But as you didn't finish them/ get them certificated it is a real grey area so I agree give ucas a call and hopefully they can give you a definitive answer
Sorry if I wasn't clear enough at first! It was such a complicated situation I wasn't quite sure how to phrase it.

Yeah, I thought I might still put down my school, I'll definitely give UCAS a call!

Thank you so much for all your lovely advice and taking your time to respond to this! It's really appreciated.
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi, hi, thank you so much for replying!

OK -

I did my GCSEs (finally!) last year. I did English, Maths and Biology and passed them all. I was nineteen at the time.

Now, I'm on an Access to HE: Social Science course and yes, I'm applying to university for 2016 entry!

No AS levels. Between when I left school and started my GCSEs again last year, I was at college, but they were non-mainstream courses as I wasn't ready to be in a 'normal' classroom yet.

If it helps - I got to do my GCSEs for free despite being an adult student because I was classed as never having completed them before.
You say you did take some GCSEs in Year 9 and 10 - you need to declare these grades. Contact your old school and see whether they have any of your GCSE certificates.
acupofgreentea
(Original post by Muttley79)
You say you did take some GCSEs in Year 9 and 10 - you need to declare these grades. Contact your old school and see whether they have any of your GCSE certificates.
Ah, I thought because I never did all of the exams of any of my subjects (so I never received an overall grade for anything) I wouldn't have to declare it? I mean, how would I enter the fact I've done a few exams of some subjects into UCAS?

I'll ring UCAS, see what they think and then, depending on what they say, I'll ring my school on the offchance they haven't cleared my records! I think ... I think that sounds like a plan.

Thank you so much for responding! I really appreciate it.
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ah, I thought because I never did all of the exams of any of my subjects (so I never received an overall grade for anything) I wouldn't have to declare it? I mean, how would I enter the fact I've done a few exams of some subjects into UCAS?

I'll ring UCAS, see what they think and then, depending on what they say, I'll ring my school on the offchance they haven't cleared my records! I think ... I think that sounds like a plan.

Thank you so much for responding! I really appreciate it.
Check with your school - did you just sit some modules rather than the complete GCSE? You say your memory is vague so I would check rather than possible not be honest on your UCAS form.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.55%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (64)
9.55%
No I am happy with my course choice (379)
56.57%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (96)
14.33%

Watched Threads