Hearing Loss- Extra exam time?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Gwenog_quidditch
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have 25% Hearing Loss and I have heard that I can get a little bit of extra time in exams because of this. Is this true?
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How does hearing loss afect your ability to do exams? You don't get extra time in exams just because you have a disability. You get extra time because your disability means that you're at a disadvantage. I, for example, need extra time in exams because as someone with a visual impairment, (or rather the particular types I have) means I'm a slow reader and I need to take frequent breaks from reading.
Slowbro93
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Megan Angharad)
I have 25% Hearing Loss and I have heard that I can get a little bit of extra time in exams because of this. Is this true?
As OU Student said, it would depend on the exam format that you have (for example if it was an oral or listening exam then different provisions would be put into place)
Gwenog_quidditch
Rep:
?
Thank you,
I did have extra time in my listening French GCSE exam, but one Audiologist has told me that I can claim extra time with written exams, but as you say, this does seem really strange.
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You'd only get extra time if you actually needed it though. You'd have to provide evidence as to why you'd need it. I, for example, get (or would do if I was to do exams now) extra time in all my exams due to having both hearing and sight impairments.
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Megan Angharad)
Thank you,
I did have extra time in my listening French GCSE exam, but one Audiologist has told me that I can claim extra time with written exams, but as you say, this does seem really strange.
Sounds like your audiologist has been misinformed. As other posters have said, you could only have adjustments to counter any disadvantages. If you can do a written exam without needing to use listening skills, you wouldn't get extra time.

Having said that, you may consider informing the uni so that they can put extra measures in place e.g. If they announce "Time's up" from the front of the exam hall, an invigilator might need to come to you and make you aware if you can't hear announcements.
coffeeneeded27
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi, I have profound single sided hearing loss and use a CROS hearing aid and roger pen- I'm in A2s and do Spanish, French and English lit so can tell you a bit about what I have in place. I've had to sometimes fight quite hard to get the arrangements I need not just in exams but in lessons and school in general as a whole so if you want to talk more or ever need advice after this just drop me a message
GCSEs in general: spoke to exams officer and always sat at front of big exams room so could always hear the invigilator.
Languages GCSEs: no extra time as my exam board was you get to hear each track twice and that's is (Edexcel IGCSE) howeve, I was given my own small separate room and offered a live speaker so no distraction/ background noise
Languages written paper A Level: the A level works so that you get 2 hours to do listening reading writing all in one. You do the listening individually through head phones and can pause play repeat rewind etc as much as you want and can spend as long on each section as you want for this reason I get 25% extra time to use how I like (naturally I use it for the listening), I was also offered a live speaker which I turned down as I thought it would be harder to pause/ask her to rewind phahah. Also do the whole exam in a small quiet room to 1000% ensure there's no detrimental impact in my ability to hear
Languages A Level Oral: at my school they use external examiners to do the exams, however, the school arranged for me to do mine with my class teacher as I'm used to their voices/pitches/tones etc and I do it in a really small quiet room.
What I've found is that if you don't ask you don't get... As I said PM me whenever
Butterfly92xo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes, it is I have hearing loss and I also have extra time in my exams. When I did my GCSE mock, one required listening to an audio tape and I was supposed to be put into a small room on my own so that the sound does not echo around the hall but it did not happen so make sure that if you know it will be on audio, tell them ASAP!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gwenog_quidditch
Rep:
?
(Original post by Butterfly92xo)
Yes, it is I have hearing loss and I also have extra time in my exams. When I did my GCSE mock, one required listening to an audio tape and I was supposed to be put into a small room on my own so that the sound does not echo around the hall but it did not happen so make sure that if you know it will be on audio, tell them ASAP!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks So was it just with oral/audio exams that you got extra time?
Gwenog_quidditch
Rep:
?
(Original post by eleanor27)
Hi, I have profound single sided hearing loss and use a CROS hearing aid and roger pen- I'm in A2s and do Spanish, French and English lit so can tell you a bit about what I have in place. I've had to sometimes fight quite hard to get the arrangements I need not just in exams but in lessons and school in general as a whole so if you want to talk more or ever need advice after this just drop me a message
GCSEs in general: spoke to exams officer and always sat at front of big exams room so could always hear the invigilator.
Languages GCSEs: no extra time as my exam board was you get to hear each track twice and that's is (Edexcel IGCSE) howeve, I was given my own small separate room and offered a live speaker so no distraction/ background noise
Languages written paper A Level: the A level works so that you get 2 hours to do listening reading writing all in one. You do the listening individually through head phones and can pause play repeat rewind etc as much as you want and can spend as long on each section as you want for this reason I get 25% extra time to use how I like (naturally I use it for the listening), I was also offered a live speaker which I turned down as I thought it would be harder to pause/ask her to rewind phahah. Also do the whole exam in a small quiet room to 1000% ensure there's no detrimental impact in my ability to hear
Languages A Level Oral: at my school they use external examiners to do the exams, however, the school arranged for me to do mine with my class teacher as I'm used to their voices/pitches/tones etc and I do it in a really small quiet room.
What I've found is that if you don't ask you don't get... As I said PM me whenever
Thank you!!
The Crazy Chef
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This is true I have 25-30% or more (fluctuating hearing) hearing loss and although my school did not award me with extra time which should of been 25% extra of the given time. Their hearing for this is that I have fluctuating hearing and when I recently went in for a hearing test theAudiologist was disgusted. Also my college has awarded me with extra time, which means I have been entitled to it all along.
spoonferret
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Deaf here!

I don't qualify for extra time for being deaf (I do qualify for cognitive problems from M.E./CFS, but thats a whole other thing). Here are some things you may qualify for:
- BSL interpreter to translate questions and tell you anything the invidulators say
- Written or interpreted version of any audio questions (e.g. those maths exams that used to be on tape? showing my age no doubt)

To qualify for an exception, you have to be able to provide (and evidence) an example of something putting you at a disadvantage in that situation. For example here's mine:
- M.E./CFS causes cognitive issues and fatigue. Therefore need breaks and extra time. Also need an accessable venue with a disabled toilet
- Chronic pain causes writing to be extremely painful and difficult. Therefore need to write electronically
- Deafness means I can't hear the exam invidulator, fire alarms, emergencies, or audio content. All content must be transcribed and a flashing alarm must be present at the exam location.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by The Crazy Chef)
This is true I have 25-30% or more (fluctuating hearing) hearing loss and although my school did not award me with extra time which should of been 25% extra of the given time. Their hearing for this is that I have fluctuating hearing and when I recently went in for a hearing test theAudiologist was disgusted. Also my college has awarded me with extra time, which means I have been entitled to it all along.
This thread is from 2015, OP probably has their situation resolved now.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (35)
67.31%
I don't have everything I need (17)
32.69%

Watched Threads