Sociology or English Literature/Language?

Watch
MelisaCeritli
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
HELLO FELLOW TSR COMPANIONS. So me and my friend @rojda (follow her on tsr) are having an intense disagreement over which A Level subject is substantially superior. So let the conflict begin IM WAITING
imkansiz
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MelisaCeritli)
HELLO FELLOW TSR COMPANIONS. So me and my friend @rojda (follow her on tsr) are having an intense disagreement over which A Level subject is substantially superior. So let the conflict begin IM WAITING

We await your replies))
MelisaCeritli
Rep:
Spoiler:
Show
It would be nice to get some reasons as to why and not just one word answers ROJDA
OzlemNacar
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I believe that it's your own personal choice. You have to pick something you are comfortable with. If you are comfortable and enjoy sociology pick that or if you really enjoy English pick that. Pick the subject you are interested in and you know you will get good results in. Also don't forget you can drop one subject in the second year if you want to.
xoxo.
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Well, I do English Lit & Lang and it kind of feels like I've been thrown into the fiery depths of Hell... so although I don't do Sociology, I'm assuming its better
arcadia1
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
The 'every subject is difficult' brigade will say just that, and that it's a matter of opinion, both hard... bla bla bla. But, realistically it's certainly English lit.
MelisaCeritli
Rep:
(Original post by arcadia1)
The 'every subject is difficult' brigade will say just that, and that it's a matter of opinion, both hard... bla bla bla. But, realistically it's certainly English lit.
Thanks a whole bunch but I believe that as you said English lit is the path.
I have also been told it involves quite a huge amount of heavy reading? Is this correct?
Ribenas
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
My A-Levels: Sociology, Psychology and Biology

English Literature/Language and sociology are equally superior. I have come to this conclusion because the english literature/Language has on average more marks per question. When comparing like for like on average AQA Sociology doesn't have as many 24 mark questions in contrast to english. However, in sociology you have to remember sociologist and their various views on each topic.

-R
LenniesRabbit
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MelisaCeritli)
Thanks a whole bunch but I believe that as you said English lit is the path.
I have also been told it involves quite a huge amount of heavy reading? Is this correct?
I'm thinking it depends on the exam board. For OCR I do:
The Tempest (Play)
The History Boys (Prose)
A Merchants Tale (Poetry)
1984 (Dystopia)
(And then around 2-3 sub-texts for further reading)

Honestly, before the course i was DREADING English Lit because it was a course that I thought would require reading like..6 books at a time. It's not true. Some teachers set books to read over holidays, but in my lessons we actually read and analyse the books in class and any extra reading is done whilst in bed before the next lesson! It's honestly not that tough but it depends heavily on how much your teachers get done with you in class.

Also, one of the biggest shocks of English Literature when I had started is it is IN NO WAY LIKE GCSE. I had gotten an A* in English Lit at GCSE and the thing is, it focuses too heavily on the language analysis aspect of the subject. A-level places more emphasis on context and other interpretations of the text. You'd be required to do research into critics opinions of all texts to back up your points in essays which is actually not that hard and in most cases you can actually make them up. A-level is nothing to do with the Point Evidence Explanation layout that we commonly use at GCSE stage, but more sophisticated writing is required especially to get high grades.

I love English Literature more than I thought I would because i was so worried about the workload and learning quotes but it has somehow turned out to be one of my easiest subjects.

Sociology is the subject that i'm not doing so well in. I've got an A and a B in my past mocks but they were quite low A's and B's. The number of sociologists to learn is actually ridiculous which is so sad because the content is amazingly interesting (for AQA its Education and another topic picked by your school). There are over 100 names + dates and theories per topic that you have just gotta learn off by heart and spit it back out (yes, its one of those subjects ) but of course you could get away with knowing some per topic. If you're no good at memorising things, Sociology may prove to be a challenge. In AQA there is an evaluation question that will give and extract then say something like "Cohabitation is no longer a problem in modern society. Discuss/evaluate through reference to the extract and your own knowledge." for 20 marks.

Hope this has helped in some way?
Any further questions just ask
MelisaCeritli
Rep:
(Original post by xoxo.)
Well, I do English Lit & Lang and it kind of feels like I've been thrown into the fiery depths of Hell... so although I don't do Sociology, I'm assuming its better
I have so many mixed responses!! XD
MelisaCeritli
Rep:
(Original post by LenniesRabbit)
The Tempest (Play)
The History Boys (Prose)
1984 (Dystopia)

Honestly, before the course i was DREADING English Lit because it was a course that I thought would require reading like..6 books at a time. It's not true. Some teachers set books to read over holidays, but in my lessons we actually read and analyse the books in class and any extra reading is done whilst in bed before the next lesson! It's honestly not that tough but it depends heavily on how much your teachers get done with you in class.

Also, one of the biggest shocks of English Literature when I had started is it is IN NO WAY LIKE GCSE. I had gotten an A* in English Lit at GCSE and the thing is, it focuses too heavily on the language analysis aspect of the subject. A-level places more emphasis on context and other interpretations of the text. You'd be required to do research into critics opinions of all texts to back up your points in essays which is actually not that hard and in most cases you can actually make them up. A-level is nothing to do with the Point Evidence Explanation layout that we commonly use at GCSE stage, but more sophisticated writing is required especially to get high grades.

I love English Literature more than I thought I would because i was so worried about the workload and learning quotes but it has somehow turned out to be one of my easiest subjects.

Sociology is the subject that i'm not doing so well in. I've got an A and a B in my past mocks but they were quite low A's and B's. The number of sociologists to learn is actually ridiculous which is so sad because the content is amazingly interesting (for AQA its Education and another topic picked by your school). There are over 100 names + dates and theories per topic that you have just gotta learn off by heart and spit it back out (yes, its one of those subjects ) but of course you could get away with knowing some per topic. If you're no good at memorising things, Sociology may prove to be a challenge. In AQA there is an evaluation question that will give and extract then say something like "Cohabitation is no longer a problem in modern society. Discuss/evaluate through reference to the extract and your own knowledge." for 20 marks.

I honestly was not expecting such a detailed response.
I do believe in all you have said however I believe I may have the potential to undergo the path of Sociology.
On the one hand, English Lit has always been my passion but I have just been so afraid of the rumoured workload, now that you have broke it down for me, it seems though I will pursue this path. Once more, thanks a lot for the response and I will submit any more questions I have if necessary.
dolpol
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Hi,

I'm studying the same texts as you for OCR!

Do you have a list of critics or a specific study guide for The tempest?. I've been trying to get hold of the Zig Zag guide for it but it's too expensive.

Dolpol x

(Original post by LenniesRabbit)
The Tempest (Play)
The History Boys (Prose)
1984 (Dystopia)

LenniesRabbit
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Hey! unfortunately I have no critic quote lists Yeah, Zig Zag would be pretty much amazing but if its too much, I could not recommend the AS/A-Level Student Text Guide: The Tempest (As/a-Level Student Text Guides) by Mike Brent ( sold on Amazon) enough.

I didnt buy it, but its in my school library and its the best thing I have used to far. It highlights key themes as well as amazing perspectives that push you to highest grades e.g. Aristotles Unities. It has a list of critic quotes etc at the back. Its brilliant!

Any other questions just ask
dolpol
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Thanks, I'll have a look for it. How about the History Boys - can you recommend anything on that? Thanks again.
LenniesRabbit
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
For History Boys there is basically nothing (in terms of books) at all. Their are some single sources though e.g. If you type in The History Boys Revision guide and click on the slideshare link which is really good!

Otherwise, interviews with Bennett from the Guardian etc give a really good idea of his views on education which are great for context marks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (29)
7.11%
October 2021 (189)
46.32%
November 2021 (42)
10.29%
December 2021 (53)
12.99%
January 2021 (44)
10.78%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (38)
9.31%