The Student Room Group

"People only like people who look nice"

My little 10 year old sister just said those words words and I just thought it's so disgraceful that children are thinking this at such a young age.
They are conditioned like this and grow up to stay like that which is a shame really.

My sister is one of those quite girls in class who never speaks and we were having a discussion and she said this (the title)
That literally broke my heart because it's so brutally true in the messed up society we live in.

Even in my own experience, people only seem to like the ones who are pretty even if they have a **** personality and vice versa, the 'ugly' girl in the corner could be the nicest of all but no one would even give her a chance.
The reason this got me is because I have experienced this all my life aswell.

Don't tell me the utter bs that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" like sure to a limit but there are certain people which everyone will find beautiful/ugly.

Basically, I'm just wondering to what extent do you agree with this statement?

Scroll to see replies

why are you anonymous?
Original post by Anonymous
My little 10 year old sister just said those words words and I just thought it's so disgraceful that children are thinking this at such a young age.
They are conditioned like this and grow up to stay like that which is a shame really.

My sister is one of those quite girls in class who never speaks and we were having a discussion and she said this (the title)
That literally broke my heart because it's so brutally true in the messed up society we live in.

Even in my own experience, people only seem to like the ones who are pretty even if they have a **** personality and vice versa, the 'ugly' girl in the corner could be the nicest of all but no one would even give her a chance.

Don't tell me the utter bs that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" like sure to a limit but there are certain people which everyone will find beautiful/ugly.

it's based on wat the person thinks
if the person doesn't like u, then u need to go find someone that does
She's 10 - give her some time to be able to make a proper judgement. Maybe she'll keep thinking that, maybe she won't.

It's true to some extent. People find physical attraction important.
Reply 4
Original post by xGCSE_Studentx
why are you anonymous?

Because...there's an anon function and she/he can choose to be anon.

I agree to the statement largely, but sometimes 'ugly' people are liked if they are confident. Trust me I've seen people who aren't the best looking but with a bunch of friends. At the end of the day we can't change anyone's thinking :smile:
Reply 5
That's the way of the world and always will be so unfortunately.
Could be true.
Original post by arfah
Because...there's an anon function and she/he can choose to be anon.

Misuse of anonymous
Be glad your sister is one of the "quiet" bunch. Unless she ends up procrastinating online for large amounts of her day in the future, she is most likely a hard working person who'll always get the job done :wink: It's a shame that no one bats her an eyelid just because she doesn't have anything worthwhile to say.
If you think about it, it's true. Especially if you're online dating or using kik to find a girl theres so much other boys that the girls will consider better looking it's just sad really.
Original post by xGCSE_Studentx
why are you anonymous?
Oh, you're killing it with these posts! Please don't stop calling out people!
Original post by Bupdeeboowah
Oh, you're killing it with these posts! Please don't stop calling out people!

i don't intend to trust me

As long as I am not repulsed by the way someone looks, then a relationship is possible.
This world is superficial and shallow to be honest. There are some really shallow people who wouldn't even be friends with someone if they weren't attractive, forget about in a relationship lol. So yeah, "Beauty is in the eye of the holder, beauty comes from within" Is bullsh*t to make unattractive people feel better.
Original post by loveleest
This world is superficial and shallow to be honest. There are some really shallow people who wouldn't even be friends with someone if they weren't attractive, forget about in a relationship lol. So yeah, "Beauty is in the eye of the holder, beauty comes from within" Is bullsh*t to make unattractive people feel better.

Couldn't agree more.

100% agree. It's becoming more and more evident to me that girls as young as 10 are suffering from anxiety problems about their looks and weight. It's really sad, young girls are becoming more and more obsessed over their personal appearance, and are continually brainwashed by society that they have to look a certain way, so if they don't look like Kendall Jenner or any other model they are 'fat' or 'ugly'. Needs to change
When I was 10, I'm sure I had the same thoughts. But I was too lazy to do anything about it lol. Still too lazy now:biggrin:
Looks do matter to an extent, but they shouldn't be the be-all-and-end-all. Looks fade anyway, and they're so easy to change; if one does consider themselves truly 'unattractive' they can do something about it if it bothers them that much. Personality is harder to change to a significant extent, and I believe this automatically gives it more value
Reply 18
My friend (who is a girl), is pretty attractive, and she's managed to get free or more food from restaurants and stuff. As bad as it sounds, looks do help, and puts you at certain advantages in life. Makes you look more trustworthy, nice?
I think it depends on the people you come into contact with. For example, if you are around open minded, non-judgemental people - then it wont matter. However, if the people around you are concerned about the way they look etc. etc. then it does matter. Personally, I do believe that if someone is more good looking - you are likely to want to speak/interact with them because of that attraction and the want for them to like you; natural instinct I think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending