Osbounre gives image advisor 42% pay rise out of public purse

Watch
username878267
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...c-sector-wages

After imposing a pay freeze on public sector workers and scraping 500,000 jobs in an attempt to save money, he is now giving his image advisor a 42% pay rise out of public funds.

So no money to spend on teachers or nurses, but plenty to spend on making him look good. All in this together, or something.
sleepysnooze
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
his "image" adviser? why does he need an image adviser? why can't I have an image adviser?
MagicNMedicine
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's only one person, it's hardly going to break the bank.

He's kept a lid on demands for other pay by capping police, armed forces and nurses pay at 1% for the next four years which will save the taxpayer billions and it's been by taking these tough decisions, in the face of criticism, to get our country back on its feet that have meant we've got the fastest growing major economy, we've got record levels of employment and a ten year low of unemployment, we're moving from a high tax high welfare and low pay economy to a low tax low welfare and high pay economy.
username2298253
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You do realise a 42% increase to somebody's pay is literally nothing in compared to huge decisions based on funding teachers/nurses right?
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sleepysnooze)
his "image" adviser? why does he need an image adviser? why can't I have an image adviser?
Apparently changing from the emotionally dead accountant image he use to project to that rather sinister look seen on the right has improved his popularity.

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-12-18 at 01.18.12.png
Views: 227
Size:  323.9 KB
troubadour.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Bornblue)
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...c-sector-wages

After imposing a pay freeze on public sector workers and scraping 500,000 jobs in an attempt to save money, he is now giving his image advisor a 42% pay rise out of public funds.

So no money to spend on teachers or nurses, but plenty to spend on making him look good. All in this together, or something.
Osborne* :rolleyes:
username878267
Rep:
?
(Original post by Skeptyle)
You do realise a 42% increase to somebody's pay is literally nothing in compared to huge decisions based on funding teachers/nurses right?
Kind of takes the piss though? Claiming 'we're all in this together' and bemoaning spending public money, yet giving huge increases to his image advisor.
pol pot noodles
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Kind of takes the piss though? Claiming 'we're all in this together' and bemoaning spending public money, yet giving huge increases to his image advisor.
The advisor got promoted to a higher paying role, it wasn't a 42% increase on the same job. She's now his Chief of Staff. The public sector pay rise cap isn't remotely relevant to promotions.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If he's managed to make such enormous efficiency savings across the public sector, I think we should hardly begrudge a few thousand pounds for someone who isn't even getting a "pay rise", but is in fact being promoted to a different (and very responsible) position.

Particularly when you read the actual document that the Guardian links to "The special adviser pay bill cost for 2014-15 was £9.2m... The estimated pay bill cost for 2015-16 is £8.4m."

(Original post by sleepysnooze)
It's not an "image advisor", it's the Chancellor's Chief of Staff. That was just a bit of Guardian colour.
username878267
Rep:
?
(Original post by L i b)
If he's managed to make such enormous efficiency savings across the public sector, I think we should hardly begrudge a few thousand pounds for someone who isn't even getting a "pay rise", but is in fact being promoted to a different (and very responsible) position.

Particularly when you read the actual document that the Guardian links to "The special adviser pay bill cost for 2014-15 was £9.2m... The estimated pay bill cost for 2015-16 is £8.4m."

It's not an "image advisor", it's the Chancellor's Chief of Staff. That was just a bit of Guardian colour.
I think it takes the piss, when he goes on about everyone having to tighten their belts, freezing pay and making cuts, to then spend huge amounts of public money on personal spin doctors.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think it takes the piss, when he goes on about everyone having to tighten their belts, freezing pay and making cuts, to then spend huge amounts of public money on personal spin doctors.
Or, rather, to spend £600,000 less on "spin doctors", which is what the Government is doing.

I'd also point out that there's a difference between "spin doctors" - communications people - and special advisers. Certainly one can be both, but the two are far from same. A chief of staff is not a "spin doctor", nor are the many policy advisers employed as special advisers.

Despite the fact the Government is making substantial savings in terms of employing special advisers, they are extremely important parts of the machinery of Government. Equally for communications staff, to brand them solely with some derogatory term and expect us all to simply dismiss what they do and what they bring is silly - the Government needs decent communications professionals as much, if not more so, as any private business.
Skip_Snip
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Quantex)
Apparently changing from the emotionally dead accountant image he use to project to that rather sinister look seen on the right has improved his popularity.

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-12-18 at 01.18.12.png
Views: 227
Size:  323.9 KB
Holy ****! He looks like he's chopping two vegetables, and thoroughly intends to serve his wife as the meat
whorace
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Lol as if people are actually justifying using public money to justify a public servants popularity. Utter fascism, he's more than rich enough to hire his own image advisor if it's needed.
whorace
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MagicNMedicine)
That's only one person, it's hardly going to break the bank.

He's kept a lid on demands for other pay by capping police, armed forces and nurses pay at 1% for the next four years which will save the taxpayer billions and it's been by taking these tough decisions, in the face of criticism, to get our country back on its feet that have meant we've got the fastest growing major economy, we've got record levels of employment and a ten year low of unemployment, we're moving from a high tax high welfare and low pay economy to a low tax low welfare and high pay economy.
Which is great, now let's make sure there's a high level of full time jobs available otherwise the unemployed are screwed.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
that Scottish bloke...Green was it ? White ?... no Brown ...that's him. Well he had extensive makeovery before he became our Worst Prime Minister.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by whorace)
Lol as if people are actually justifying using public money to justify a public servants popularity. Utter fascism, he's more than rich enough to hire his own image advisor if it's needed.
It's not a bloody "image advisor", it's his chief of staff - and no, he clearly shouldn't be paying for that.
SaucissonSecCy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
If he's managed to make such enormous efficiency savings across the public sector.
That's just the term he first uses. What is the evidence, other than his self-proclaimed wand waving miracles? I think you are attributing to him greater powers than he has.
illegaltobepoor
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think while we are it lets cut welfare by 15 billion again. That is great for savings but while we are at it lets increase the champagne allowance so Tories can have more hard earned parties.

What?

Your upset that this is happening? Well Lib has got a good answer for that.

(Original post by L i b)

Despite the fact the Government is making substantial savings in terms of employing special advisers, they are extremely important parts of the machinery of Government. Equally for communications staff, to brand them solely with some derogatory term and expect us all to simply dismiss what they do and what they bring is silly - the Government needs decent communications professionals as much, if not more so, as any private business.
And that is why we need decent champagne too. Your totally right Lib.

What was that Lib you have something more to add?

(Original post by L i b)
If he's managed to make such enormous efficiency savings across the public sector, I think we should hardly begrudge a few thousand pounds for someone who isn't even getting a "pay rise", but is in fact being promoted to a different (and very responsible) position
Ye your right lets give every Tory minister a pay rise. They deserve it. I mean robbing the poor and giving to the rich is what Tories do best. Its like in Robin Hood times. The kingdom was in dire poverty because it had to fund the crusades and the King needed more money so he decided to send the Sheriff round to the shires to collect taxes and while he was at it he enriched his mates. Nothing wrong with that.

And now we have Jeremy Hood (Corbyn) trying to rob the rich to feed the poor with a cabinet reshuffle. Disgusting isn't it!
Duncan2012
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yet more tripe from the usual suspects here. A promotion comes with a pay rise and suddenly the left are up in arms.

A 10-second Google search came up with this from 2001 showing a certain Labour Prime minister taking a 40% pay rise himself. Some people have very short memories.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by illegaltobepoor)
Ye your right lets give every Tory minister a pay rise. They deserve it.
Except of course that every Tory minister took a substantial pay cut coming into office. The Prime Minister actually earned more as leader of the opposition than he did when he came into office and implemented that.

Of course, you didn't know that. You probably care even less because you couldn't give a toss about the factual basis of your arguments - they're simply blind tribalism.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (43)
37.07%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (11)
9.48%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (5)
4.31%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
25%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (18)
15.52%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
8.62%

Watched Threads