The Student Room Group

What percentage do I need in my exam to get a first?

Hi, I'm really not sure how these uni modules work (I'm a 1st year). For my biochemistry module, I have:
1 MCQ test worth 15% of the module, I got 58.96%
1 practical report worth 15% of the module, I got 85%
1 SAQ/MCQ exam, worth 70% of the module, which I will take in January
Is there a way of working out how much I need in the January exam to get 70% overall?
Thank you!
Original post by annnnnnnn
Hi, I'm really not sure how these uni modules work (I'm a 1st year). For my biochemistry module, I have:
1 MCQ test worth 15% of the module, I got 58.96%
1 practical report worth 15% of the module, I got 85%
1 SAQ/MCQ exam, worth 70% of the module, which I will take in January
Is there a way of working out how much I need in the January exam to get 70% overall?
Thank you!

You got 59 percent (I'm not sure if they'll use 2 d.p. figures when calculating your mark...) on the test, which was worth 15 percent of the total, meaning it contributes 8.85 percent to the total mark.

You got 85 percent on the practical report, which was also worth 15 percent, which translates to a contribution of 12.75 percent to the total mark.

This means that you've got 21.6 percent overall before the exam, requiring you to get the remaining 48.4 percent from the exam, on which you'd need to get 48.4/0.7 = 69.1 percent (realistically 70 percent).
Reply 2
Original post by Hydeman
You got 59 percent (I'm not sure if they'll use 2 d.p. figures when calculating your mark...) on the test, which was worth 15 percent of the total, meaning it contributes 8.85 percent to the total mark.

You got 85 percent on the practical report, which was also worth 15 percent, which translates to a contribution of 12.75 percent to the total mark.

This means that you've got 21.6 percent overall before the exam, requiring you to get the remaining 48.4 percent from the exam, on which you'd need to get 48.4/0.7 = 69.1 percent (realistically 70 percent).

Thank you soooo much! Much appreciated! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending