The Student Room Group

Why are men not gong to Uni?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by richpanda
boys want to have no responsibilities (who wouldn't) yet I think us men never like the thought of having to rely on someone else (the state) to support us, so we're more likely to go straight in to a trade or pick a degree that is hard but will almost guarantee a job.

Women just do the opposite.

Interesting. Perhaps more girls at that age think that they are special snowflakes, so they make more unrealistic choices. I have to say though that typical trades for girls are not very appealing or well paid (e.g. hair and beauty, retail or catering), so perhaps they think they have to go to university to get access to better jobs (e.g. allied health professions all require degrees now).
Original post by llys
Interesting. Perhaps more girls at that age think that they are special snowflakes, so they make more unrealistic choices. I have to say though that typical trades for girls are not very appealing or well paid (e.g. hair and beauty, retail or catering), so perhaps they think they have to go to university to get access to better jobs (e.g. allied health professions all require degrees now).

yeah special snowflake effect.
Women show less variance in ability, so there are fewer women than men who are extremely capable and fewer women than men who are extremely incapable. In the past decades university has changed from being an institution for the extremely capable to an institution for the average person. The requirement is no longer to be unusually good, the requirement is just to not be unusually bad. Attendance has therefore changed from being dominated by men to being mildly dominated women simply because there are more average women than average men.

Men are dramatically overrepresented among Fields Medalists and murderers, Prime Ministers and the mentally ill. The oppression theory does not produce predictions that are a good fit for this pattern.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by skeptical_john
https://www.tes.com/news/school-news/breaking-news/thousands-men-missing-university-education

For the umpteenth year in a row the gap between men and women going to uni has widened. I've read a few articles on this but not seen anyone mention what I think the problem is: lack of male teachers.

Im doing a my second placement in a primary school and it's really not hard to notice how few male teachers/TAs there are. Out of 25 at my current primary there are 3 men (and that includes me who is not even employed there!)

Its not as extreme at secondary but it's still a problem. Boys are going to grow up thinking (much in the way historically has been true for women in science) education is not for them.

Why are so few men in primary education? I've not done much research on this but there are some connotations with men and young children which rarely seems to be out of the news these days. (I myself want to work in post 16 when degree completed).

I realise how advantaged men are in the world but without good education we are going to create the next ukip voters of the future.

Was actually planning on coming here to tell you that a lot of the jobs in male dominated fields do not require uni and that there are plenty of men who just wouldn't do well in uni, but you have a good point.

Having more male teachers in the primary education stage would probably help, the trouble here is that a lot of guys are somewhat removed from teaching kids.

Its seen almost as a female profession these days unfortunately. You have my support!
Reply 84
https://www.tes.com/news/school-news/breaking-news/thousands-men-missing-university-education

For the umpteenth year in a row the gap between men and women going to uni has widened. I've read a few articles on this but not seen anyone mention what I think the problem is: lack of male teachers.

Im doing a my second placement in a primary school and it's really not hard to notice how few male teachers/TAs there are. Out of 25 at my current primary there are 3 men (and that includes me who is not even employed there!)

Its not as extreme at secondary but it's still a problem. Boys are going to grow up thinking (much in the way historically has been true for women in science) education is not for them.

Why are so few men in primary education? I've not done much research on this but there are some connotations with men and young children which rarely seems to be out of the news these days. (I myself want to work in post 16 when degree completed).

I realise how advantaged men are in the world but without good education we are going to create the next ukip voters of the future.

I just saw this, thought you may be interested:
http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2015/03/economist-explains-3

I also think it's unlikely to be the school system or lack of male teachers, given the effect is so global:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-30933493
Admittedly, I don't know the gender distribution of teachers in Jordan or Quatar, but I would imagine it to be more equal than in the West.

Men are.

Just men rightly restrict themselves to useful subjects, such as Natural Sciences, Maths and Engineering.

Whereas women tend to go for Arts and Humanities (i.e. Kite Flying).
Original post by Bill_Gates
University graduates are superior on average, that's a FACT.

Opinion*
Original post by Xelfrost
Opinion*

i see working class boys everyday with no degree sexually frustrated and angry at the world due to their lack of degrees. IT IS A DISGRACE!
Cos the curriculum is too feminised. Guys are disenfranchised from the educational system; too privileged towards minorities/women.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending