Could this beast overtake oxbridge? Watch

Brinkgod25
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Warning: This is a random thread.

I was wondering if some of the elite non oxbridge British Universities such as Imperial, Warwick and LSE combined could overtake or rival oxbridge.
As this moment its clear to everyone that no university comes close to those 2 ancient giants but if you could have the sciences and engineering department of Imperial, Strength in Social sciences from LSE and a insance maths department from Warwick and its prestigious business School WBS.

In my opinion the combined economics departments from lse and warwick have the potential to be the worlds best. Feel free to express your opinion do these 3 universities combined have the potential to overtake or rival oxbridge?
BlindingLight
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
London Met already has.
username2298253
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I do think so, Oxbridge don't hold #1 for all courses, and Unis overtake them in other aspects too all the time.

My friend got a chemistry offer from imperial of A*A*A*A.... They're picking the cream of the crop to try and outperform oxbridge I think.

So yeah
darthvader150
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Haha interesting thread and yeah i think it could probably be on par with cambridge and overtake oxford imo. The maths department of imperial and warwick combined would be devaststing and would probably be top 5 in the world.
lai812matthew
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Skeptyle)
I do think so, Oxbridge don't hold #1 for all courses, and Unis overtake them in other aspects too all the time.

My friend got a chemistry offer from imperial of A*A*A*A.... They're picking the cream of the crop to try and outperform oxbridge I think.

So yeah
imperial doesn't want to be the insurance choice.
ubisoft
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BlindingLight)
London Met already has.
Yes so has Wolverhampton
Manchester United
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes, Imperial + Warwick + LSE would be one of the best universities in the world. It would be the world leader in Mathematics and Economics.
Brinkgod25
Rep:
?
(Original post by Skeptyle)

So yeah
Yhyh i agree i think in general maths students from warwick and imperial are insane i know a guy who got 5A*s and Grade S in STEP II and III and went to warwick for maths and had oxford as insurance i didnt believe him until he showed me a picture of his ucas where i saw oxford uni insured :O.
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sadly the blinkered London-centric attitudes of many students miss out Durham. It is at least the intellectual equal of Oxford and Cambridge, and will likely exceed those two relics in the next couple of years. Us Durham students prefer the term Doxbridge to refer to the three great institutions of English higher education. This portmanteau will become common parlance in the next few years.
math42
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I dunno about overtake. Rival, for sure.

(Original post by Quantex)
Sadly the blinkered London-centric attitudes of many students miss out Durham. It is at least the intellectual equal of Oxford and Cambridge, and will likely exceed those two relics in the next couple of years. Us Durham students prefer the term Doxbridge to refer to the three great institutions of English higher education. This portmanteau will become common parlance in the next few years.
Woxbridge didn't take off and Doxbridge certainly won't lol
Brinkgod25
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quantex)
Im asking if Warwick+LSE+Imperial could overtake/rival oxbridge what does durham have to do with this? I didnt even mention them.
Handeco
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah i think it could, the sheer power of that university in maths, economics, sciences and business would pretty much annihilate most universities.
TheGuyReturns
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Whats with the Warwick die hard on this site?

LSE+Imperial don't compete with one another right now as it is... combining would do jack ****. The fame of the names Oxford & Cambridge and the prestige that comes to mind are part of the reason why they will be undisputed for decades to come.
Killer910
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This "beast" might have a chance in economics and maths against oxbridge thanks to lse + warwick econ and warwick+imperial maths but it would get wrecked in pretty much any other discipline, i think oxbridge is waay too strong.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (470)
66.67%
No (235)
33.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise