Melatonin

Watch
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So apparently this stuff is prescription only in the UK?

On the advice of my doctor, I bought some 5mg melatonin pills, mostly for headaches I keep getting (he wanted me to try this before topamax) as well as possibly helping my sleep, which is a complete mess.

Just wondering about other people's experiences with it?
How many days did you have to take it before it helped with sleep? That is if it did help? And at what dose?
Does anyone have experience with taking it for pain relief?

It's been two weeks now and I'm not feeling any effect either on headache intensity/frequency or on my sleep. Would like to know if I'm wasting my time with this?
RiskVsReward
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sabertooth)
So apparently this stuff is prescription only in the UK?

On the advice of my doctor, I bought some 5mg melatonin pills, mostly for headaches I keep getting (he wanted me to try this before topamax) as well as possibly helping my sleep, which is a complete mess.

Just wondering about other people's experiences with it?
How many days did you have to take it before it helped with sleep? That is if it did help? And at what dose?
Does anyone have experience with taking it for pain relief?

It's been two weeks now and I'm not feeling any effect either on headache intensity/frequency or on my sleep. Would like to know if I'm wasting my time with this?
Found this on some sleeping site,could be of some use to you?
Maybe ask the doc to change dosages?

For melatonin to be helpful, the correct dosage, method and time of day it is taken must be appropriate to the sleep problem. Taking it at the "wrong" time of day may reset your biological clock in an undesirable direction. How much to take, when to take it, and melatonin's effectiveness, if any, for particular sleep disorders is only beginning to be understood.
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by RiskVsReward)
Found this on some sleeping site,could be of some use to you?
Maybe ask the doc to change dosages?

For melatonin to be helpful, the correct dosage, method and time of day it is taken must be appropriate to the sleep problem. Taking it at the "wrong" time of day may reset your biological clock in an undesirable direction. How much to take, when to take it, and melatonin's effectiveness, if any, for particular sleep disorders is only beginning to be understood.
Thanks for the answer. I think, however, that I've already covered all those bases. I'm taking the amount he recommended at the time of day he recommended. I'm not sure if two weeks is long enough of a test - though he did say to come back in a month.

Made me doubt that it would work when I found it in the section of the supermarket with herbal tablets and vitamins. :unsure:
RiskVsReward
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sabertooth)
Thanks for the answer. I think, however, that I've already covered all those bases. I'm taking the amount he recommended at the time of day he recommended. I'm not sure if two weeks is long enough of a test - he did say to come back in a month.

Made me doubt that it would work when I found it in the section of the supermarket with herbal tablets and vitamins. :unsure:
When I was doing research into these drugs, stuff like modafinil to help with narcolepsy, I found that a lot these things aren't like the usual drugs. Some just don't work. Others do. Though, I am not a chemistry student @ uni, I did study Chem @ A-level so hopefully someone more knowledgeable can answer better than I have.

Studies seem to show both sides.
A 2004 review found that "there was no evidence that melatonin had an effect on sleep onset latency or sleep efficiency" in people suffering from sleep restriction, such as from shift work and rapid transmeridian travel, while it did decrease sleep onset latency in people with a primary sleep disorder and it increased sleep efficiency in people with a secondary sleep disorder.[13]

Honestly, I think maybe the doctor first wants to start you off slowly before he or she starts the harder stuff, just a guess.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (62)
17.27%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (101)
28.13%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (137)
38.16%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (48)
13.37%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.06%

Watched Threads