Good rap artists?

Watch
BookBird
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, I want to branch out my music interests by listening to more rap.

I've heard my brothers talk about some good artists, but I don't really know anyone besides the obvious. I also don't want rap artists who sing about getting *****es and making money, that's the main reason I don't listen to rap in the first place lol

I'd prefer an artist who tells a story with his lyrics, if that makes sense. Lyrics with weight and meaning :P Dunno if there are rappers out there who make music like that, but if there are, suggestions would be appreciated

Preferably song + artist, not just artist, so I can listen to some right now xx
I Don't Know 79
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BookBird)

I've heard my brothers talk about some good artists, but I don't really know anyone besides the obvious. I also don't want rap artists who sing about getting *****es and making money, that's the main reason I don't listen to rap in the first place lol

I'd prefer an artist who tells a story with his lyrics, if that makes sense. Lyrics with weight and meaning :P Dunno if there are rappers out there who make music like that, but if there are, suggestions would be appreciated

sneakbo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEGXBmh-H7g
dairychocolate
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Lil Poopy
driftawaay
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

AZEALIA BANKS, 212. but the entire album is flawless
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Seriously just get the Outkast discography tbh, you will like them. They appeal to Hip-Hop fans and people who don't really like rapping in general.

Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik
ATLiens
Aquemini
Stankonia
Speakerboxxx/The Love Below

Don't bother with Idlewild, it's ****.

Aquemini is probably the best place to start of those if you're new to Hip-Hop.
Alaska+
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Which artists have your brothers mentioned?

I kinda come from same place as you as in I didnt really listen to any rap until a couple years ago, and wasnt really interested in rap about bling & money because it all sounds the same. Rappers (and their top albums) that I have found that place strong on emphasis on creating art are:

Kanye West (MBDTF)
Kendrick Lamar (Good Kid, Maad City)
Earl Sweatshirt (Doris)
Tyler the Creator (Goblin or Wolf)
Run the Jewels (self-titled)
Flatbush Zombies (DRUGS)
The Underachievers (Indigoism)
Childish Gambino (Camp, or Because the Internet)

Though only listed people above that have been pretty much consistently good throughout their careers thus far, so you can pick any album from these guys and it'll be good.
dark-vector
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Check out Nas & Jay Z, two very good storytellers.
With Nas, you should start at Illmatic and It Was Written. With Jay Z, you should start at Reasonable Doubt, The Blueprint or The Black Album.
BookBird
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Alaska+)
Which artists have your brothers mentioned?

I kinda come from same place as you as in I didnt really listen to any rap until a couple years ago, and wasnt really interested in rap about bling & money because it all sounds the same. Rappers (and their top albums) that I have found that place strong on emphasis on creating art are:

Kanye West (MBDTF)
Kendrick Lamar (Good Kid, Maad City)
Earl Sweatshirt (Doris)
Tyler the Creator (Goblin or Wolf)
Run the Jewels (self-titled)
Flatbush Zombies (DRUGS)
The Underachievers (Indigoism)
Childish Gambino (Camp, or Because the Internet)

Though only listed people above that have been pretty much consistently good throughout their careers thus far, so you can pick any album from these guys and it'll be good.
Mmm, if I remember correctly, they mentioned Kendrick Lamar, Dr. Dre, LL Cool J? But they weren't talking bout favourites so much as the differences between them. There were a couple others mentioned too, but I can't remember the names :P Thanks for the list!! I'll check them out!
markovchain17
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
immortal technique i can't think of anyone else lol maybe Bugzy Malone you should try as well

all the others rap about weed nd cars nd booty so
Protégé
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
eminem, immortal technique, jay z and t.i before his fall

username917703
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Mmm, if I remember correctly, they mentioned Kendrick Lamar, Dr. Dre, LL Cool J? But they weren't talking bout favourites so much as the differences between them. There were a couple others mentioned too, but I can't remember the names :P Thanks for the list!! I'll check them out!
Dre isn't really known for his rapping, he's average imo, but he's the best producer in Hip-Hop. If you didn't mean rappers specifically then The Chronic is essential for anyone, except for the fact you stated you didn't want that sort of content in the OP? I think you should give The Chronic a go anyway, it's your loss if you don't, it's beauty isn't in the lyrics (90s West Coast stuff was all about being gangsta), it's in how well it's put together.

Dr. Dre's production has been noted for popularizing the G-funk subgenre within gangsta rap. The Chronic has been widely regarded as one of the most important and influential albums of the 1990s and regarded by many fans and peers to be one of the most well-produced hip hop albums of all time.
In Rolling Stone's The Immortals – The Greatest Artists of All Time, where Dr. Dre was listed at number 56, Kanye West wrote on the album's production quality: "The Chronic is still the hip-hop equivalent to Stevie Wonder's Songs in the Key of Life. It's the benchmark you measure your album against if you're serious."
Track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9-98vtZ7No

I doubt you'd like LL unless you actually like that old school sound.
DavidSilvaMCFC
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Look no further than Nas. HIs album "illmatic" is called the Holy Bible of Hip Hop for a reason. Cant believe nobody has mentioned him yet.

I'd also check out A Tribe Called Quest and Wu Tang Clan.
Pimped Butterfly
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There's lots of rappers who can tell stories well, but few can do it with a greater meaning, excellent wordplay and fantastic backing production on their tracks.

Eminem pre-2002, all but Kanye West's last album, Kendrick's GKMC and Nas' Illmatic are the best starting points for you, as a newcomer to rap.
ByronicHero
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Immortal Technique
Nas (also Distant Relatives is great)
Lowkey
Akala
etc.

(Original post by eternaforest)
immortal technique i can't think of anyone else lol maybe Bugzy Malone you should try as well

all the others rap about weed nd cars nd booty so
I find Bugzy really hard to listen to.
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DavidSilvaMCFC)
Look no further than Nas. HIs album "illmatic" is called the Holy Bible of Hip Hop for a reason. Cant believe nobody has mentioned him yet.

Top 5 album, but it's not entry level stuff for someone who isn't into Hip-Hop.
markovchain17
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ByronicHero)
Immortal Technique
Nas (also Distant Relatives is great)
Lowkey
Akala
etc.

I find Bugzy really hard to listen to.
As in you can't stand him or you can't understand him? lol
ByronicHero
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by eternaforest)
As in you can't stand him or you can't understand him? lol
Can't stand him.
ByronicHero
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
ETbuymilkandeggs
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
G-Eazy. Listen to 'Let's get lost'
TheThiefOfBagdad
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DavidSilvaMCFC)

Overall, I approve of this post, but Nas has been mentioned (post 7).

Also, OP might like The Pharcyde - Runnin', pre-prison term Tupac - Me Against the World, MF Doom - Beef Rap, Ghostface Killah - Camay, Eric B & Rakim - I Ain't No Joke.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (727)
33.83%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (921)
42.86%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (407)
18.94%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (94)
4.37%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed