The Student Room Group

Can I get in to a Russell group university?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by JohnGreek
My point is that, while the top RG unis obviously have higher rankings for student satisfaction etc. than non-RG, the lower-ranked/borderline RG unis may not, and, as such, you should be looking at the "wider picture" (something that I think you've appreciated by now :wink: )

Yes of course I have:smile: Thank you for your suggestions:smile:
Reply 81
Original post by Salsa123
Hi there I got more or less what you received with ACCDU in my AS results (so actually a little worse!). But it is key to remember that AS only forms one part of your application. There's predicted grades, references, a personal statement and prior academic achievement so don't be completely disheartened. Have a look at what your predicted grades are because that's what is required for the entry requirements. In my case I applied to two above my predicteds (A*AC, had to work really hard for a revision of them from A*BD) and now I've received offers from Nottingham and Southampton of AAB and BBB respectively so yes be optimistic because there is plenty of hope that you can get into a Russell Group uni!!!!

Hello, that is really good! Well done:smile: But the ACC are my final grades now, but thanks anyway:smile:
Original post by gromit1997
Hello, that is really good! Well done:smile: But the ACC are my final grades now, but thanks anyway:smile:

Thanks!!! Yeah you can still easily work something with ACC, may I ask what you're considering applying for course wise? If it is science related it might be more challenging but there are also typically interviews for those subjects so it's an added layer to make yourself stand out in comparison to other candidates
Reply 83
Thanks!!! Yeah you can still easily work something with ACC, may I ask what you're considering applying for course wise? If it is science related it might be more challenging but there are also typically interviews for those subjects so it's an added layer to make yourself stand out in comparison to other candidates

You're welcome!:smile: Yes, I want to study something along the lines of International relations/History/Modern foreign languages. Yes definitely:smile:
You're welcome!:smile: Yes, I want to study something along the lines of International relations/History/Modern foreign languages. Yes definitely:smile:

Oh sweet yeah I applied for politics and international relations so yeah there's something similar! Have you applied yet, applying this year or next?
Reply 85
Oh sweet yeah I applied for politics and international relations so yeah there's something similar! Have you applied yet, applying this year or next?

Oh cool! What universities may I ask?:smile: I'm still in the process, I do want to go in 2016 though
why do you want to get into a Russel group?

I know someone who went to a uni 98th of the league tables and now is working for the 2nd biggest oil company in the world.
Reply 87
Original post by Proxenus
why do you want to get into a Russel group?

I know someone who went to a uni 98th of the league tables and now is working for the 2nd biggest oil company in the world.

Because they seem like good universities, Oh wow! May I ask what uni and what course they did?
Oh cool! What universities may I ask?:smile: I'm still in the process, I do want to go in 2016 though

Sure, I've applied to UCL, Warwick, Nottingham, Birmingham and Southampton. The first two are aspirations as they are slightly above my predicted grades whilst Nottingham met my predicteds and the other two were safe ones that were below. I think I had done a really good personal statement and had an excellent reference so it would to some degree close the gap between better candidates and there is proof it does work. You should also bear in mind that there are some brilliant non-Russell group unis which often outperform some Russell groups in particular subjects so it's worth researching that on league tables. Loughborough University is an excellent example and don't forget St.Andrews! I didn't even know that wasn't Russell Group!
That is so good! What course was this for? I have Russian (A) and then modern history and English language. I would like to study International Relations with Russian or History with International relations or even one of those with another language like German.

He applied for physics with A* in Maths and Cs in Physics and Chemistry. His offer was ABB, but they let him in even though he didn't meet the requirements.
For you I'd say you'd be fine applying for Russian/Language courses but may be harder (but by no means impossible) to apply for history course.
Reply 90
Lol, I've kept moderately up to date with uni rankings and statistics due to the fact that it's my UCAS year, and I was so surprised by the fact that St Andrews and Bath aren't RG unis but Newcastle and Southamption are... Shows that the disparity in reputation and course quality between certain courses in RG and non-RG unis may not be as wide as some may have thought :smile:

Oh really? I would have thought they would be! Haha, Yeah I see what you mean!:smile:
Reply 91
Original post by schmuur
He applied for physics with A* in Maths and Cs in Physics and Chemistry. His offer was ABB, but they let him in even though he didn't meet the requirements.
For you I'd say you'd be fine applying for Russian/Language courses but may be harder (but by no means impossible) to apply for history course.

That is so good considering science courses are more competetive somestimes, ok, thank you for your help:smile:
Lol, I've kept moderately up to date with uni rankings and statistics due to the fact that it's my UCAS year, and I was so surprised by the fact that St Andrews and Bath aren't RG unis but Newcastle and Southamption are... Shows that the disparity in reputation and course quality between certain courses in RG and non-RG unis may not be as wide as some may have thought :smile:

Oh wow I didn't even know about Bath and I think that's higher than all of the RGs I've applied to! Don't get me wrong, RG is still a good indicator of academic excellence but it doesn't necessarily mean they were the best in every field as indicated by these unis. In my case it just was coincidence that the unis I looked for were all RG but were able to fit around my entry requirements
My A level grades are ACC, I know for Russell group universities you should have ABB but one of my C grades was so close to a B, with such grades is there any chance of me getting in at all?

Thank you:smile:

what do u wanna do at uni and what are ur predicted grades in each subject?
Reply 94
have a look in clearing, you may be suprised
Reply 95
Really? What uni and course was that for? Do you know if that was through clearing or anything or just normally applying?

it was for French at cardiff, it was her insurance but she initially got rejected and had to call them, the only thing she couldnt do tho was take a gap year
You would have to do really well in your A2's and have a great personal statement. Although it really does depend on the competitiveness of the course and the uni you wish to study at ! :biggrin:
Reply 97
Yeah of course you can I do a BTEC course and I got an offer from Sheffield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending