The Student Room Group

Private Vs State schools.

Just want to gather opinions :tongue:

Why one over the other?

Scroll to see replies

private school? I doubt anyone would be proud to declare that he or she paid for his/her primary and/or secondary education
Reply 2
Original post by ATLHustler

Why one over the other?

Private schools for better quality education,smaller classes etc...
Original post by shawn_o1
private school? I doubt anyone would be proud to declare that he or she paid for his/her primary and/or secondary education

And why is that? Some people are proud, and aren't afraid of throwing it about tbh
I don't feel like becoming a snob at Eton College because mummy and daddy paid for education, I'll pass.
And why is that? Some people are proud, and aren't afraid of throwing it about tbh

Then it says a lot about their character regardless of how well they did at school :wink:
Reply 6

Why one over the other?

Just saw you in the other thread absolutely SLAYING @Sex Positivism . Nice job on that. You mind me asking or confirming that you go to a private school?

I've been to both a state and private school. Moved exactly halfway through my academic years and can't believe to this day the positive and motivating atmosphere in private schools. That just makes you want to study above any of the other benefits like better teachers and resources etc.
Reply 7
I've experienced both state and independent, I'm currently at an independent sixth-form, all I can say is that I'm finding the quality of teaching at my current establishment way above any previous level, this is helped by the small class sizes of 4-8 people, furthermore the resources are excellent and your tutors really do push you to work hard as a result of the class size. That being said, independent schools can be very expensive and arguably not worth it, proven by the fact that people at state schools still often achieve top grades. I've also heard that because at independent schools in small class sizes you're spoon fed knowledge, university is a big step up. Overall, I would say that private schools clearly have their benefits but a student can still achieve top grades at free schools.
State school to bring up a well rounded individual, who can see theres more to just studying in life...while still appreciating the value of education.
Original post by shawn_o1

I personally went to private school and really enjoyed it, can't compare it to state school as Ive never been to one but you get so much more than just academics at private school so wouldn't shy away from the fact that my parents did pay for my education
Well every private school student I've met has been a ₵ῠחҭ (male and female) so I would have to vote for state school.
Which is better: private schools or state schools?
Only one way to find out ...

Spoiler

Original post by AK201296
I've experienced both state and independent, I'm currently at an independent sixth-form, all I can say is that I'm finding the quality of teaching at my current establishment way above any previous level, this is helped by the small class sizes of 4-8 people, furthermore the resources are excellent and your tutors really do push you to work hard as a result of the class size. That being said, independent schools can be very expensive and arguably not worth it, proven by the fact that people at state schools still often achieve top grades. I've also heard that because at independent schools in small class sizes you're spoon fed knowledge, university is a big step up. Overall, I would say that private schools clearly have their benefits but a student can still achieve top grades at free schools.

you say university is a big step up but actually I've found throughout my degree that people who came from private school actually did better in their first year of university (don't think there's a difference throughout the rest of uni though). Think it really depends on the school as to whether you were spoon fed knowledge or not since at maths A level we had to derive a lot of what we were learning from first principles just to force us to think for ourselves
Been through both systems - private school is much better.
Original post by stephannalee
you say university is a big step up but actually I've found throughout my degree that people who came from private school actually did better in their first year of university (don't think there's a difference throughout the rest of uni though). Think it really depends on the school as to whether you were spoon fed knowledge or not since at maths A level we had to derive a lot of what we were learning from first principles just to force us to think for ourselves

Ah okay, as I say I'm still currently only at A levels and I was just going by what I've heard from a couple of friends who are at/have finished uni. I like to think that although my class sizes are small and I'm possibly spoon fed knowledge, I do a lot of work and research out of class so if what I've heard is right I should be okay. It's good to know that what I've heard could be wrong though and I'm quite pleased that you say there isn't a difference in the long-term.
Original post by Jeff548
Just saw you in the other thread absolutely SLAYING @Sex Positivism . Nice job on that. You mind me asking or confirming that you go to a private school?

I've been to both a state and private school. Moved exactly halfway through my academic years and can't believe to this day the positive and motivating atmosphere in private schools. That just makes you want to study above any of the other benefits like better teachers and resources etc.

That's because @Sex Positivism needed to sit down - thanks for that, that comment made my day xD

And of course you can ask, yes I'm in private education, yourself?

And I totally get what you mean, I think I'd be on a different path if I didn't have the motivation and encouragement from peers.
Reply 16
Original post by AK201296

100% with you there. I too have experienced both!!!
Got a 50% scholarship for a private school. Rejected it and went to a **** state school instead. Now at Cambridge.

I'd rather die than send my children to private schools. They will not have life handed to them on a plate.
Reply 18
That's because @Sex Positivism needed to sit down - thanks for that, that comment made my day xD

And of course you can ask, yes I'm in private education, yourself?

And I totally get what you mean, I think I'd be on a different path if I didn't have the motivation and encouragement from peers.

Yeah I'm in private education too. Wow just saw your profile picture you are really pretty! :smile: Sorry, got sidetracked hahaha.
If you wouldn't be uncomfortable saying then which private school you go to? I'm from Aberdeen, Scotland.
Original post by Jeff548
Yeah I'm in private education too. Wow just saw your profile picture you are really pretty! :smile: Sorry, got sidetracked hahaha.
If you wouldn't be uncomfortable saying then which private school you go to? I'm from Aberdeen, Scotland.

Thank you! And yes, i'll happily tell you in a PM? Just don't want everyone knowing the town in live in. And I was in Aberdeen last summer! :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending